Yin Yong a problem?

Ithra said:
well i've pretty much got it figured out for what i'll do, doing an edited version of a yin yang symbol sounds alot cooler then just taking it, that way i can make it fit my character better and i can turn it into the symbol of my character along with for some characters of his back story.

only way this will effect me now is what will i do with my book? the symbol is only this small handle on it so its not too noticable. but if needed i guess i could paint over it or something

As suggested, you could repaint it.

If it's not an item you're going to pull/have out that often though it's probably fine the way it is. If you're going to have it out a lot (taking notes, teaching other characters, etc.) then it's definitely safer to modify it if you can do so without destroying the prop. If you can't modify it without destroying the prop and you still really want to use it, you can always try showing it to your local chapter's marshals and explaining the situation to see what they say.

jpariury said:
What's wrong with book covers, if you decide you want or need to alter it?

...and i already have this book covering i wanted to use...

Um, it's already a book cover?

Ithra said:
i was wondering, i was thinking of using the Yin Yong symbol here and there for my costume for a future character and i already have this book covering i wanted to use as a recipe book that has the symbol on it and i was wondering if people might find it as a problem

i was thinking it might because in some places its used as a religous symbol although for my character all it would be is a concept, an idea of balance and how 2 very different things together can create balance and be stronger together because of there differences and things like that.

but i thought i should ask incase someone out there would get upset over something like that.

R I F

jpariury said:
The prevalence with which I see players use Tibetan prayer flags...

I've never seen that at any event. I definitely think that violates the no-religion rule.

-Mike E.

I suspect most people go "Ooo, colored flags with squiggles!", much in the way people would go "Ooo, symbol with contrasting colors" on any yin-yang. I also tend to see tapestries with an aum on them, but I think few people know what it symbolizes to some religions, and fewer still worry themselves over it. I suspect players and staff occasionally worry too much about the symbols themselves and lose sight of the context.

Many religions have used the sun as a symbol. Does that mean the Legion of the sun can't? Not all symbols are originally religious even though many people recognize them as such. The cross was a torture device long before it was a religious symbol. People get bent out of shape a little too easily when they feel religion is being treaded on.

evi1r0n said:
People get bent out of shape a little too easily when they feel religion is being treaded on.

Which is exactly why we try to keep religious symbols out of Alliance.

evi1r0n said:
Not all symbols are originally religious even though many people recognize them as such.

Good point...I guess that's why the wording in the rulebook is "One of the quickest ways to get your character history rejected is to draw too heavily on religion or religious themes." and "The Alliance attempts to remain religion free as much as possible, and we do not wish to add elements that would offend anyone."

If a symbol for balance is just perfectly appropriate for your character and you portray it as such, that seems to fit the intention of what's been said above. If someone at your local chapter is offended by it, they should be a good sport and talk to you about it OOG. Likewise, if you can stay away from using popular religious symbology (maybe use one of the alternative symbols that were suggested early on in this thread), you should be a good sport and refrain accordingly.

I always refer back to the book and other official rulings, first...if it's still unclear, I'd talk to the staff at my local chapter...and if there is still a question, talk to fellow LARPers. That's just the way I approach things, though. Everyone is different, and I try to respect those differences in others.

You can symbolize balance with a set of scales, one of those candlestick/faces images, woven red and blue strands, a rainbow wheel, or anything related to a midpoint and two forces. For sure the candlefaces image has no religious symbolism that I am aware of. It's a fantasy game: be creative.

Warlok said:
evi1r0n said:
People get bent out of shape a little too easily when they feel religion is being treaded on.

Which is exactly why we try to keep religious symbols out of Alliance.

But on the other hand. If we had our own designed pantheon then it wouldn't be an issue because you would have a plethora of religious symbols to play on. For example we could have a God of Balance named Neutro (Not attempting creativity here) who has a publicly released and standard "holy symbol" and the person who starting this conversation could have used that instead of being nervous to turn to real life symbols and wonder if they're religious.

On the same token, people couldn't be offended because you insulted their IG religion.

And instead people get offended because we are worshiping false gods.

tieran said:

Only really a problem due to the need for us to be kosher with the Boy Scouts for cheap camp rentals, as I recall.

Wraith said:
tieran said:

Only really a problem due to the need for us to be kosher with the Boy Scouts for cheap camp rentals, as I recall.

You're incorrect. We have players in the Alliance who would quit playing if we had a pantheon. They have voiced that stance on these forums before.

Wraith said:
tieran said:

No its a problem if we tell people, in order to heal some one you have to swear it to a "god". Then you are forcing people to "worshiping false gods" and that might offend them.

I agree that this is a game and people should realize that, but I understand there concerns.

Actually, that is a fairly ambiguous area, as the Boy scouts are not religiously aligned.

Sure one of the laws is reverent, and the motto contains doing your duty to god. But it does not specify, as otherwise they would be a religious organization. It is basically saying that a scout should adhere to their spiritual beliefs, whatever they may be.

Atheism is a recognized 'belief' system, so really there is alot of grey area on any religious reasons for the boy scouts to object to anything.

Hell the Order of the arrow has several ceremonies that are derived from american Indians, that are not teaching the spiritual beliefs of those tribes, so they have little room for saying that one cannot gather and have non-religious 'ceremonies' that might seem psudo spiritual in nature. Let alone the fact that they also do plays, and shows that require the scouts to act make believe parts and wear costumes. So really, just because ours has way more improv, does not really make it any different.

All that aside, they can pretty much say go screw, for whatever reason they choose. So its best to just not raise any red flags, and religion is a very big red flag for everyone.

Wraith said:
tieran said:

That's Kosher, with a capital "K", if you please. ;)

Sunnfire said:
Actually, that is a fairly ambiguous area, as the Boy scouts are not religiously aligned.

Um, I guess you where never a Scout. This is the Scout Oath>

On my honor I will do my best
To do my duty to God and my country
and to obey the Scout Law;
To help other people at all times;
To keep myself physically strong,
mentally awake, and morally straight.

The Scout Law is:

A Scout is trustworthy, loyal, helpful, friendly,
courteous, kind, obedient, cheerful, thrifty,
brave, clean, and reverent.

And, by reverent, the applied meaning is synonomous with "worshipful".

Also, a majority of Scout troops are aligned with a religious institution (Church, Synagogue, Mosque, Temple, etc).

So, while Boy Scouts are not aligned with a PARTICULAR religion, there is a strongly religious element.

Umm...

Actually I'm an Eagle Scout, with palms, Brotherhood in the OA, I could go on.. but its gets a little redundant, and sounds preachy.

Many use schools, and they also typically use non-sanctuary (or equivalent) space in the buildings you mentioned, specifically because they are not aligned to any one religion, and in not being aligned to any religion, they very specifically focus on general spirituality, never naming any particular god, gods, entities, etc.

Gilwing said:
Wraith said:
tieran said:

No its a problem if we tell people, in order to heal some one you have to swear it to a "god". Then you are forcing people to "worshiping false gods" and that might offend them.

I agree that this is a game and people should realize that, but I understand there concerns.

Put like that, I can certainly understand the concern. I'd like to think that we're all forward-thinking enough not to force people into uncomfortable situations like that, although they're already calling upon an unspecified earth spirit to heal people now. ;)

Back