You Know You're a Geek When....

I know we had one of these posts going a while back and it used to make me laugh my bumm off and I can't find it ...so....

when you are in a Border's with your LARP buddy and you're looking at manga/anime comic books and start having a serious conversation on what would really kill a zombie.

...that conversation has occurred at at least 3 seperate times that I can recall.

it has been determined that a .22 would be best, and swords should be available as backup.

.22s carry lots of ammo and zombie flesh is soft. and swords never run out of ammo.

.22, however, does absolutely minimal functional damage. A Zed's not going to bleed out, so you'll need to hit it with a round big enough to cause some actual structural damage. Buckshot is a favorite.

For the same reason, an axe is going to be a better bet than a sword. You're looking to break bones and separate joints, since slashing dead flesh is going to have zero effect on something that doesn't bleed and has no sense of pain.

actually the discussion was more about the fact that maiming the undead will have no effect. the head needs to be irreparably (sp?) damaged. IE: brains must be squished...cutting arms and stuff off doesn't work nor does severing the head if the body can still hold you down while it's friends eat your brains.

you know you're a geek when...

at least twice a day someone says something that brings a movie quote to your mind. now this wouldn't be so bad if the movie wasn't slightly obscure enough that no one knows what movie you're quoting :D

Wraith said:
.22, however, does absolutely minimal functional damage. A Zed's not going to bleed out, so you'll need to hit it with a round big enough to cause some actual structural damage. Buckshot is a favorite.

For the same reason, an axe is going to be a better bet than a sword. You're looking to break bones and separate joints, since slashing dead flesh is going to have zero effect on something that doesn't bleed and has no sense of pain.

According to the Zombie Survival Field Guide, the best bladed weapon for zombie combat is the Shaolin spade as shown here:

W066-C.jpg

A bell shaped blade at one end and a crescent shaped blade at the other that was designed for decapitation. Having the added bonus of keeping a decent distance from your opponent.

FTW?

Aluminum baseball bat, it won't break, it's not that heavy, but will break bones/skulls.

Carry the .22 not for zombies, but for looters or other asshats that are gonna try to take your food/water/baseball bat during said zombie attack. Also for taking out kneecaps at range, you think a shambling zombie is slow it's leaps and bounds faster than a crawling one.

Bats and swords and axes don't run out of ammo, but human limbs run out of energy and ligaments and muscles rip and tear with use, especially when inflicting a lot of blunt impacts on zombies. Repetitive motion injuries suck and take forever to heal.

A lot also depends on what kind of zombies you are fighting. You really can't pin down the perfect weapon until you know what mythos or move they came from.

And always keep a slower friend that you're not really all that fond of by your side. That's one of the best weapons.

Scott

scott has a point. you only have to run faster than the other guy...

also the whole "28 days zombie" or "monroe mall zombie" shuffling or raging and jumping off the walls very important. with the raging and jumping off the walls kind I'm up for weapons of mass destruction like grenades and the such.

have you ever wondered why some geeks never consider how to kill vampires or werewolves?

There's no such things as vampires and werewolves.

says the uberwolfvampire...hmph
hehehehe just kidding.... :?

Ask Sean Metzler about this. It was his conclusion about the .22, because...

-something like a .45 is too big, and trying to carry multiple weapons and extra ammo will just slow you down

-flesh will be fairly soft, so the amount of damage a .22 round can do will actually be pretty extensive. (as the bullet spins, it's going to cause more of the muscle/internal organ to go with it, therefore creating more damage and being more effective.)

The only reason I say swords are good is because there are close to 20 in my apartment, as well as throwing knives and stars. I'd probably manage to gut myself with that shovel thing. In the case of a zombie apocalypse, I'm heading to the nearest grocery store, raiding it for canned goods and non-perishables, and then locking myself in the restaurant I work in.

wherever Ben is that's where I'll be...ben is like a guru master on zombie stuff...mike and i will take all our weapons and food and we're headed to ben and steph's ::NOD::

i know the little cut back part of a 22 semi can do damage...no one showed me how to hold it before i shot it the first time...pinched me thumb webbing in the slidy part

Attachments

• marshal6.rtf
    70.4 KB · Views: 1
  • marshal6-answer.rtf
    73.5 KB · Views: 1
To the Winchester!

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
have you ever wondered why some geeks never consider how to kill vampires or werewolves?

Because vampires tend to be singular, and hence less of a trouble to hunt. Werewolves mean you're screwed anyway, so you might as well get used to being furry a few days a month. ;)

The only thing better than a big gun is a big gun with a chainsaw on it.

(Guess the videogame)

Jim

Achem, the only proper way to combat the mindless undead is to become a necromancer, create zombie minions of your own, and have the zombies duke it out in the showdown of the century. You could even sell tickets to the survivors.
And Amelia proves, yet again, how necromancy is the key to solving all the world's problems.

- Brought to you Public Broadcasting Corporation and by Adventurers Like You, Thank you. -

you know you're a geek when...

You, the head of rules and your teamate at an HQ event, late at night talk about what you would do if you seen a skeleton walking down the street in real life.

Bobo's response, Punch it. Me and 10k Dans response, Run like hell.

You know you're a geek when:

o You can write a text editor completely in the Linux BASH Scripting language.

o You know what I am referring to in the previous bullet point.

o You have actually done what I referred to in the first bullet point.

o You have more than one reference book on the BASH Scripting language.

o You keep a library of Linux reference works on your laptop for easy access, wherever you go.

ondreij....you just got three gold GeeKing stars :D

Back