Your dietary habits! (Are you a vegetarian?)

What's in your diet?

• Vegan (no animal products at all)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Vegetarian

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • Pescatarian (fish)

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • No red meat (chicken and pork is OK)

Votes: 1 2.8%
  • Omnivore

Votes: 29 80.6%

• Total voters
Hammerfist,

It's turkey hunting season in PA! We failed miserably last weekend. Then the turkeys came out at 12:05 PM to mock us...as they know you can't hunt after 12:00.

This poll is politically incorrect. It is biased against cannibals (it's tourist season in Cape May, get 'em while they're fresh!), detritivores (people who eat McDonalds or Burger King all the time... if that isn't detritus, I don't know what is), and insectivores. Sheesh...

Hang on, pork isn't red meat?! Wow... I feel so ill informed. That's what I get for keeping kosher.

Duke Frost said:
jpariury said:
Fearless Leader said:
Never said we can't eat ANY meat -- I said we were not primarily meat-eaters.
No, but you did suggest that humans aren't built to eat meat, which is where I disagree. By the same token, we aren't "primarily vegetable" eaters either... we're omnivores.

And that's why I eat fish, too -- I need the protein. Plus I like it. ;)
Sushi is damn delicious. I think I'd eat it nine times a week if I could. :)

Holy carp! JP and I agree on TWO things in one post...that we're omnivores and that sushi is damn delicious. What's next? Israel and Palestine will cohost the next Olympics?
We agree on portioning as well. That's 3. Two more and we accomplish world peace!

I'm not trying to convert anyone; I don't want laws to make everyone eat the same as me; I never criticize people for what the eat when we go to restaurants; I buy my cats meat for their diets; I am not a member of PETA or any other vegetarian group for that matter!

My point was that we are not primarily meat eaters. I never said we weren't evolved as omnivores; I pointed out that we are closer to animals that are primarily vegetarian than we are animals that are primarily meat eaters. Yes, we have characteristics of both, but we're not really built for a huge meat diet.

I am an omnivore who leans closer to a carnivore.

I don't really care for seafood or pork.

Jim - The Other White Meat

Eh, I'm an omnivore. Animal, vegetable, none are safe from my hunger. If it is out there, I've probably tried it at least once. Things are too delicious to limit myself to just one type of food!

AllianceCHI said:
Give up Soda yet?

I almost managed it this time, but then they came out with 'Throwback' Mountain Dew, using the old-style formula from the 80's. It actually tastes citrusy, and isn't painfully oversweet. Plus real sugar instead of HFCS. Terrible time to try and quit drinking it. :)

Duke Frost said:
Hammerfist,

It's turkey hunting season in PA! We failed miserably last weekend. Then the turkeys came out at 12:05 PM to mock us...as they know you can't hunt after 12:00.

I am still trying to figure out where they hide their watches.

I used to think that until I moved to South Korea. Then I realized there's lots of stuff that's out there that I haven't tried. That's one of the reasons I gave up being a vegetarian - I wanted to try some new stuff. I was vegan for a few years and vegetarian for a few more years.

A few observations about the discussion. Chimps do sometimes kill monkeys and eat them according to what I remember from Jane Goodall. I've never eaten monkey or termites or some of the other things chimps probably eat.

There was an interesting article on Willie Gault, a famous sprinter and wide receiver. At 45 or so he still is a world class sprinter competing with guys 20 years younger than he is. He eats fish but little or or no meat so that diet can certainly work.

Jack Lalanne also eats fish and veggies and egg whites primarily. He's in pretty good shape for a 94-year-old. Probably in better shape than most of the people talking here, myself included.

Despite Willie and Jack being motivating examples, I do eat lots of meat and I think I eat pretty healthy. There are plenty of examples that say this heavy-meat diet can work as well. Arnold Schwarzenegger is a pretty healthy dude for example (though I think I've read that he says chicken and fish beat beef and pork for at least some people).

What all three examples might show us - Arnold, Willie, and Jack - is that Jack LaLanne was right. Exercise is King. Diet is Queen. Not to be sexist, but he means that exercise is the most important thing you can do for your health.

Oh and check out this dude who eats 10 ounces of beef (bulgogi which is a Korean beef dish actually) every day: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1JqtbRPNps

Wraith said:
Eh, I'm an omnivore. Animal, vegetable, none are safe from my hunger. If it is out there, I've probably tried it at least once. Things are too delicious to limit myself to just one type of food!

For all you PETA fans, you guys need to watch "Bull$hit with Penn and Teller" on showtime. Would you believe that PETA is gainst seeing eye dogs...come on people. Gee who I always known to order the Fish-a-majig...the same guy who has told me "I'm not white, I'm Greek", priceless. By the way I love you Gee :p

Keep in mind that PETA is a pretty extremist group when it comes to animal rights. Not all animal rights people agree with what they say/do.

That said, I'm an omnivore. About the only thing I won't eat are bugs... except chocolate covered ants. Those are like a nestle's crunch with extra protein! Their cousins the crustaceans however are darn tasty. :)

Chimps have been known to eat monkeys. Violently. In seventh grade my environmental science teacher showed us a video wherein a troop of chimps dropped on a bunch of monkeys, bashed their brains in, and ate them.

So Chimps being mostly vegetarians doesn't really hold true in my book. I would consider them omnivorous.

As Scott has said, I have canines for a reason. I will use them often. Probably more often than I shove green things in my mouth.

Afterall, I do like pickles....on my burger. :twisted:

-Ali
"Meat is Murder. Tasty, Tasty Murder"

zehnyu said:
Chimps have been known to eat monkeys. Violently. In seventh grade my environmental science teacher showed us a video wherein a troop of chimps dropped on a bunch of monkeys, bashed their brains in, and ate them.

So Chimps being mostly vegetarians doesn't really hold true in my book. I would consider them omnivorous.

Wait, so you saw one incident and decided they are not mostly vegetarians from that?

Come on, no one here has said that they are complete vegetarians, but they are indeed mostly vegetarian. And no one here has claimed otherwise -- we humans are like them in that we are designed to be mostly vegetarian.

No, I said I didn't consider them mostly vegetarians.

Mostly Vegetarians by human standards means eating eggs, fish, and milk product.

Chimpanzees are frugivores by Jane Goodall standards, and will supplement their food with insects, birds, birds' eggs, honey, soil, and small to medium-sized mammals. Even if their diet includes of greens, in my head, that -doesn't- make them mostly vegetarian. It makes them Omnivores.

-Ali

Is being "mostly vegetarian" like being "mostly pregnant?".

Vegetarianism is a lifestyle choice and akin to a philosophy. It's not a scientific classification. Omnivore, herbivore and carnivore are scientific classifications for animals. Humans are omnivores, every one of us.

Humans are unique in that they actually choose what they eat instead of eating what is available in their immediate vicinity like other animals. Humans are ruled by emotions and feelings and little of what they eat has to do with science. Emotions, cravings, marketing and advertising rule our dietary decisions much more so than science.

"Give me back that filet o fish, give me that fish."

Scott

Gilwing said:
For all you PETA fans, you guys need to watch "Bull$hit with Penn and Teller" on showtime. Would you believe that PETA is gainst seeing eye dogs...come on people. Gee who I always known to order the Fish-a-majig...the same guy who has told me "I'm not white, I'm Greek", priceless. By the way I love you Gee :p

Fishamajig! I make those at home without all the breading. ;) Yeah I'm not a fan of PETA, and P&T BS is a hilarious show. I've seen every episode. As I said in another post (I think) I don't even have a problem killing & cooking animals.

Oh and I'm not white, dammit! :lol:

Duke Frost said:
Is being "mostly vegetarian" like being "mostly pregnant?".

Vegetarianism is a lifestyle choice and akin to a philosophy. It's not a scientific classification. Omnivore, herbivore and carnivore are scientific classifications for animals. Humans are omnivores, every one of us.

Fair enough, but you know what I meant. ;)

Are we designed to be mostly vegetarian? Or should I ask are we designed to eat mostly vegetables?

I would say it's far more clear that we are designed to exercise and be physically active.
Fearless Leader said:
Come on, no one here has said that they are complete vegetarians, but they are indeed mostly vegetarian. And no one here has claimed otherwise -- we humans are like them in that we are designed to be mostly vegetarian.

Back