[.10] - Relics impressions

Here are three of the most common complaints I have seen in this thread, and accompanying solutions.

Problem: Earth scholars don't want to be pigeon-holed into being only healbots.
Solution: Relic charges used to create a new effect called "rebuke". Forces target to take 2 steps away from caster. Crowd control option. Charges gained at same rate as wand charges. A ritual allows more charges to be expended at one time to create a more powerful crowd control effect (slow, repel, or shun, ect).
delivered with a packet?
if I just have to point at someone and say 'rebuke' I'll give up my wand for that in a heartbeat.

In the ownership forums we have discussed it and really it comes down to two things:
  1. It's boring thematically, Earth already has a lot of healing via spells.
  2. A lot of the ownership doesn't want an wand rip-off for Earth that just heals or just does damage.
Note that I am in no way saying this is in-line with my personal thoughts. However, if you want a peek into what's behind the curtain, this is why Relics do not do damage or healing in their current form.

Thanks for the information.

So, between the Owners and the Public, it seems like the targets for Relics are:
  • Requirement: No duplication of Wands with damage or healing
  • Requirement: Something new and novel
  • Requirement: Be in-line with Earth Magic Paradigm
  • Requirement: Be useful in combat
  • Option: Useful against Undead
Given those parameters, here is my (notional and probably over-complicated) suggestion:
  • Create a new item, Relics, that provide 1 charge per 3xp invested in Earth Magic Skills
  • Relics come in 4 Types: Order, Chaos, Life, Death
  • Charges may be used for:
    • Order Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Chaos Guard via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Turn Undead
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Sanctuary via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Cure Disease
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Destroy Undead
    • Chaos Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Healing Guard via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Control Undead
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Desecrate via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Disease
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Corrupt
    • Life Relic:
      • 1 Charge - 1 Elemental Healing via Touchcast by 10-count (i.e. 10 second First Aid, terrible for healing that 100 Body Fighter)
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Antidote
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Cleanse via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Restore
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Life
    • Death Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Endow via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Weakness
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Shatter via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Silence
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Destruction

Durinc, are there any suggestions in this thread that you think could gain traction?
There are definitely some things in here that are getting my synapses firing, absolutely. I'm listening and reading every post but I won't make guarantees or promises. Some of you have reached out to me personally, too, which I appreciate.

Last edited:
Thanks for the information.

So, between the Owners and the Public, it seems like the targets for Relics are:
  • Requirement: No duplication of Wands with damage or healing
  • Requirement: Something new and novel
  • Requirement: Be in-line with Earth Magic Paradigm
  • Requirement: Be useful in combat
  • Option: Useful against Undead
Given those parameters, here is my (notional and probably over-complicated) suggestion:
  • Create a new item, Relics, that provide 1 charge per 3xp invested in Earth Magic Skills
  • Relics come in 4 Types: Order, Chaos, Life, Death
  • Charges may be used for:
    • Order Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Chaos Guard via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Turn Undead
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Sanctuary via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Cure Disease
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Destroy Undead
    • Chaos Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Healing Guard via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Control Undead
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Desecrate via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Disease
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Corrupt
    • Life Relic:
      • 1 Charge - 1 Elemental Healing via Touchcast by 10-count (i.e. 10 second First Aid, terrible for healing that 100 Body Fighter)
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Antidote
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Cleanse via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Restore
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Life
    • Death Relic:
      • 1 Charge - Elemental Endow via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Weakness
      • 3 Charges - Elemental Shatter via Touchcast by 10-count
      • 5 Charges - Elemental Silence
      • 10 Charges - Elemental Destruction

I could get behind this. I could definitely get behind this.

Same. I like everything in this proposal except the touchcast by 10 count, which is another nonstandard delivery in a system we’re apparently trying to streamline/simplify.

Same. I like everything in this proposal except the touchcast by 10 count, which is another nonstandard delivery in a system we’re apparently trying to streamline/simplify.

That's not nonstandard, isn't that how Break Command works?

-

Last edited:
Also no packet. It's basically an effect delivered by 10 seconds of RP. Which is also weird and nonstandard and I wouldn't be at all sad to see it change.

Eh, kinda...? But touching isn't required.

Also no packet. It's basically an effect delivered by 10 seconds of RP. Which is also weird and nonstandard and I wouldn't be at all sad to see it change.

That's true, but at least the 10 second timer has a precedent.

I actually like the mechanic, it feels pretty balanced. If anything, I'd rather incorporate it and have Break Command be a touchcast, yeah?

Touchcasting requires packets. Edit: I was confused. I thought the comment was made against the proposed Touchcast via 10 seconds, but on closer read appears to be directed at Break Command. My bad.

The proposal is notional. I don't expect it to actually go in, but hopefully it gets creative juices flowing for the rule makers.

Last edited:
It could never work against Berserk or Charm, then ...

Okay. Then we have both mechanics. I don't really think that adding a 10 second touchcast would really throw anyone off.

So would that trigger first, second, or concurrently with a spell shield?

For some reason, I feel like that with Guard/Spell Shield interactions, I remember that it's victim's-choice. @Alavatar might remember this better than me, though.

Being a dumb defense would make me think both?

Naw, it's not both. For example, if you have a Poison Shield and Magic Armor up, and someone hits you with a poisoned weapon, it doesn't trigger both, and I really feel like it's victim's choice in that situation.

Edit: To be fair, I don't have the ARB right now, but I feel like this specific scenario isn't addressed in it, and I'm going off experience.

Back