The Town that Was

Status
Not open for further replies.
She suddenly shakes her head. "No I don't think I'm remembering right. The figure with the mark was on the side of good. I wonder if it meant Yazig? Heavens, I'm sure we could speculate all day but I don't know how much further we'll get."

"If we could speculate our way to an answer, I certainly wouldn't be sending you out," Evo smiles.

Jinn nods to Billin as he takes his leave.

"Master Billin is it now? Hmm, about time" he says with a smile."

He then turns to the other three.

"Speculation is all well and good, but do not let it alter your plans to much. Plan around what we know, and then alter things as new information is received and learned. We do know that there is a home guard presence, and a golem presence. We also assume time elementals. Researching the history of that town should be your first step. Utilize the homeguards records if you can, if not then the library will become your new home."

Jinn paces a little as he talks

"One thing you should never assume is that there can only be two sides. Elementals are tricky beings, they exist all their own, unless controlled by an outside force mind you. Most elementals I have faced have been indifferent to us. But if I am not mistaken ti.e elementals can be very mean and hard to deal with, so research into them would also be a priority. As for the golem, they are very rare in these lands. We can not rule out Al'zoon but we shouldn't assume he is there just because there is a golem. That could lead us in the wrong direction right at the start of things. The sanctum might have a record or history of golem usage that we can look into."

Jinn pauses again, taking a drink from his bottle, now almost empty.

"How you pick your team for these missions will be important as well. I very well many not be able to go with you every time, or help research as my duties may need me else where. I know it is easy to take those we trust and that we know better, but ensuring that different skill sets are utilized is something that can be very important. There are very few people in the Lux that can do it all, so you want to make sure you choose wisely."

Kai's voice comes from the hallway, "I believe the earth weavers record all births, deaths, and marriages. If the homeguard has no record of a battle, they _might_. And, if the changed history has no Elly being born, you might want lists of marriages and births to compare."

Evo listens with interest, pleased to hear Jinn's "leader voice" and Kai's clever ideas.

"I suppose team management falls to the team leader," Elly says to Calan. "I'm sure we could have a fairly large group go if we were to ask around, but it depends if you think that would be best."

"Brilliant idea, Kai, I can check with my friends to see if they could peek through both of those records."

"Now don't forget Elly, that you are a team. Part of being a good leader is listening to your students and other team members. Never be afraid to voice your options and thoughts. Even the best leaders can get stuck in only one method of thinking, and that can be their downfall. I will be testing Calan's leadership skills but I will also be appraising your skills as well. Not just on the battle field but also in how well you can plan and prepared for those battlefields. There will come a time where you will be ready to take on students of your own."

Elly runs a hand through her hair, slightly embarrassed to be put on the spot. "Well... it's not exactly a stealth mission so more people isn't necessarily a bad thing. But more people doesn't mean success against a time elemental. Plus I know Sarryn and Ruki had shown some interest in all this nonsense." She counts on her fingers. "If we get in a fight, we'll definitely need at least one other skilled earth mage plus Genevra, Ruki and Myrdin should be able to handle traps, spellswords in the front line and Adraxis flanking, perhaps one other fighter for a quick armor fix... Am I missing anything, you think?"

Evo says with measured words, "I'll suggest that Sarryn might not be the best choice, as his rank and privelege will make it difficult for him not to take command. I do want this to be an opportunity for you and Calan to prove yourselves. But I won't veto any of those choices. I would remind you that you might perform best in a team of roughly similar levels of power."

He looks around.

"Well, then. If we're down to logistics, I think you're well on your way. What's your plan from here? What are you doing first?"

Jinn nods and smiles.

"I would agree with the magus on that. This mission is yours to prove yourselves with, I would have a had time not taking charge myself if something happened while we were out there. But don't worry, if something happens that sends you our of your depth I will be there to reel you all back in. But I like where your head is at thinking of the different situations you may encounter."

"True, I'm sure Lord Sarryn will be plenty busy these coming weeks..." To Evo, she says, "I need to find out if the effects of time are kept consistent everywhere, or are just limited to Brighton. If my family's records aren't as I remember them, then we know the changes can ripple outward and other things we read might not be reliable. Looking for records on the area would probably be next, any suggestion of other time fluxes or battles with elementals that might lead them to hold a grudge. Ideally, we could have someone posted near the town so we knew how quickly things changed - if at all - and then we could head there after that? Perhaps Master Billin might have something by then."

"I think checking records is a good start, I didn't even think about the changes rippling out from the town. If that is the case we may be in deeper than we thought. Hopefully that is not happening, it will make everything else associated with this adventure much easier. As easy as time manipulation can be."

Jinn chuckles to himself and runs his hands together, a warm smile growing on his face.

"Its been a while since I was presented with such a mystery wrapped in intrigue. Exactly what I needed! Please let me know how I can help, be in with planning, execution, or just an ear to bounce ideas off of. I will keep much to myself given that I am evaluating you both. But I am excited to see where this goes."

Calan listens to the exchange. “ There is also something to be said about not emptying half the lux. I was thinking of approaching Cameron he is an earth spell sword with a table for a shield as well as a member of the him guard; he would be good to take along. Should Talon feel up to it he would be a nice addition he’s fast a sturdy. While I trust Ruki and Rohnan, the sanctum is more than represented. Just as we don’t want to take half the lux we also don’t want half of our forces going on one mission. I know Genevra nor Myrdins skill sets well enough to make an assessment, however if you feel Myrdin can handle traps then he would be a welcome, and I will never say no to another healer.” Calan thinks On it a moment more. “Provided all parties listed are available that would make a team of seven, big enough we could split into two if we need to, And small enough to go unnoticed should we need. It probably wouldn’t hurt to stock up on shatter scrolls, as well as lightning scrolls.” Calan absentmindedly plays with the ring he uses to carry a life spell. He looks up and at each of the people in the room. “Do we know if any of the aforementioned people are assigned to other tasks?”

"Many people will be pulling double duty when it comes to the war we are faced with. Apparently it had been decided that we are fighting it on three fronts now..."

Jinn rolls his eyes. "Short sightedness of specific people will be keeping us busy for a while. So I have to assume that there are very few people left within the guilds that do not have various things on the go. I would like to tag along on your first mission to Brighton, just to see how you all operated."

Calan nods. “My assumption was you would have to at first so I was counting you in that seven. Ellie why don’t you start researching into the records. I will approach the other members and start stocking up on things casters will need. Now that I think on it some protective scrolls would be good to have too. As I said, dying isn’t an option. It probabaly wouldn’t hurt if we approached Zorta to ask if he has any deeper knowledge of this occurrence. Though admittedly I don’t know off hand how we handedly made contact with him previously.”

Elly nods. "Gen can help us out with the not-dying thing. Well, twice anyway," she laughs. "And Adraxis has started dabbling in earth magic as well, so we should be pretty well covered that way."

"Magus, do you think approaching Xorta is a good idea? I can't pretend I've met any elementals that wanted to chat, but perhaps this one's different? Certainly someone who's met them before would be an ideal interviewer."

"Xorta is, in fact not an elemental. He was, long ago, a great earth mage and specialized in Time magic. He is constantly hounded by Time elementals and Al Zoon. We watched him die, if I'm not mistaken, so every time we meet him now is a time he remembered when we first met him. If he is to appear, it is because we were fated to meet, so to speak. He is an ally to me, at least." Evo screws up his face in thought. "You could put it out there that you intend to meet him, and if he shows up then it was fated to be." He laughs. "For that matter, you could meet him and then ask later for the meeting you already had."

"Simple, right?"

Elly squints at Evo for a long moment. Nods.

... Then slowly shakes no.

"Guess I'll just..." She addresses the ceiling. "Hello, Master Xorta. I'm hoping to meet you. Or have met you. Either way, let's... I dunno, meet for tea?" She shrugs. "Like that?"

From the hallway, Kai lets out a laugh at Evo's summary of time travel with Xorta.

Evo chuckles a bit. "I'm pretty sure he has a better chance of reading a written request at some point in the future. Might want to seed a library or three with the exact date and time and location you intend to meet him."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back