0.10 - Weakness: To Nerf, or Not to Nerf?

Reduce Weakness' Damage Reduction?

• Yes

Votes: 9 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • Indifferent

Votes: 4 16.7%
  • I like turtles

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Saephis

Squire
With the ratcheting up of costs for Weapon Proficiencies, elimination of Damage Auras and Reavers/Slayers, currently a 3rd level spell can invalidate a large swath of build and invalidate classes wholesale. If this were a static number decrease, a certain percentage off (half? quarter?), the question isn't the "how much" but "Should it".

Edit: This is assuming that the steadfast "Make it prohibitive to swing more than wand damage" stance continues.

Last edited:

Saephis

Squire

Samyania

Scholar
Seattle Staff
It does make sense that if overall damage is supposed to be reduced by this rules set, that things that reduce max damage also get reduced, and I like Turtles because they come with coffee and bacon and Earth magic.

Inaryn

Knight
I voted "Yes", but I think the nerf should be "Applies to Wand Damage as well".

Also, I need to reiterate: Trash Panda.
I totally agree weakness should apply to wand damage.

Alavatar

Baron
I don't. Wand Damage has nothing to do with your physical strength, which is what Weakness is - by design, by name, and by flavor - intended to reduce.
Why do you think Weakness is/should only apply to the physical attribute? I would argue that, as it is magical in nature, could be argued IG as also affecting the Will of the individual. Hence, why I think it should apply to Wand Damage.

I think if something like that is added to the game (reducing damage Casters can do), it should absolutely be given to Melee classes I also think that version should be percent-based reduction since Caster damage tends to be all over the place (say, 50% damage reduction across all sources of Magic Damage).
Personally, I think Fighters should get a Weakness strike. The same as Weakness (including applying to Wands).

Draven

Count
Seattle Staff
Marshal
I don't. Wand Damage has nothing to do with your physical strength, which is what Weakness is - by design, by name, and by flavor - intended to reduce.

I think if something like that is added to the game (reducing damage Casters can do), it should absolutely be given to Melee classes I also think that version should be percent-based reduction since Caster damage tends to be all over the place (say, 50% damage reduction across all sources of Magic Damage).

Could be a Rogue skill (like Assassinate), a Fighter Skill (like Slay), or available to both (like Stun Limb) from a Pre-req standpoint.
Rogues already get it. It’s Alchemy.

Ruki

Scholar
What about a silence strike or something so fighters and/or rogues can better defend against mages?

Draven

Count
Seattle Staff
Marshal
I’m indifferent.

I would agree that it needs a nerf if 0.10 happens as is.

But I also don’t think there’ll be many fighters to Weakness, anyways.

Ruki

Scholar
I also forgot about Silence Globes. So throat punch for fighters would be nifty.

That way casters have a way of disabling fighters, and vice versa.

Ruki

Scholar
Is PVP common in some chapters?
I just had two mage duels on Saturday night!

Fighters can get Alchemy as well (for about the cost of a Prof).

With what will likely be huge amounts of Formal levels floating around in 2.0, I wouldn't be shocked if there are a few high-magic purify's that you can use while silenced, giving Casters a built-in "out" and Melee is just screwed....again.
But it does drain some of the casters resources. So, a net win.

Also, man...I wish you could throw trap globes without 3 ranks.

Saephis

Squire
A suggestion was made during the 0.9 playtests to add something like that called "Throat Punch".
As well as adding 'throat' as a valid target for stun limb, to the same end.