[.10] - Relics impressions

Now? Almost no one but I think that is a build cost thing. I wouldn't consider it in 1.3 but taking my fighter to Scout in .10, I might.

Honest question, how many people do you imagine are going to bother to engage with the trap system if they don't have to? Right now, it's a huge waste of time and build in many chapters, and while .10 makes that a little less true, it's not really looking all that compelling to me.
If u scoop up alchemy, that trap making gets you your first dodge

I've mentioned it to an owner, but my biggest problem with this relic implementation is that it is almost impossible to take full advantage of.

At 20th level (roughly the national average from what I can tell), I can use all 20 charges of a wand in a single wave battle. I know because I am an archer that has gone through 80 arrows in a wave battle and archery takes longer than using a wand.

However, the roughly 60 charges I would have at 20th level as an Earth caster would take over an hour of real time to use, requiring that I find 60 distinct opportunities to use a 1 minute ability over a single logistics period (roughly 20 hours, most weekends).

I'm of the opinion, on the majority of weekends, the majority of earth casters simply won't use all the charges, unlike wands which are pretty much completely used by all celestial casters, every weekend.

-MS

I'm really 100% behind the idea of removing the Life spell from the game and making relics the one source (maybe main source, I can see magic items doing it, too, just in a much more limited way than Expanded Enchantment) of Life effects in the game, at a rate of something like 1 every 20 XP (slightly faster than a column to help slightly make up for the loss of Expanded Enchantment).

-MS

Ok but it seems like a lot of resource for a lock. It will only take one create trap and you could pick it. To each their own I guess.

While true, this ability would be useful for that rare situation where you need to bust a lock and you don’t have someone with Legerdemain handy.

While true, this ability would be useful for that rare situation where you need to bust a lock and you don’t have someone with Legerdemain handy.

Isn't 2.0 meant be more reliant on each other?

I think 'rare situation' was the key phrase there.

2.0 is meant to be a lot more team orientated, but that doesn't mean you'll always have someone with a certain type of skill with you.

I think 'rare situation' was the key phrase there.

2.0 is meant to be a lot more team orientated, but that doesn't mean you'll always have someone with a certain type of skill with you.

That, right there, is one of my strongest concerns in 2.0. You have to...literally HAVE to...have certain build setups in your group at all times. If you don't, you either can't function, or even die. There's no fudging it for fun like in 1.3. Don't have a friend with XYZ skill? Go back to your cabin and let someone else do it. 1.3 was a lot more (too much so, I'll admit) forgiving of group composition by way of items.

I don't think you literally have to. If you don't have anyone who can pick the lock...get creative. Have faith in the plot teams that they have given multiple ways of solving things.

Also, bringing along different people rather than an item would be a lot more fun for all, I think.

I don't think you literally have to. If you don't have anyone who can pick the lock...get creative. Have faith in the plot teams that they have given multiple ways of solving things.

Also, bringing along different people rather than an item would be a lot more fun for all, I think.

I actually meant more general...ie, no healer, you can't handle things. No fighter, you have no speedbump. Etc. Not just locks. :)

Get creative in what way? I mean, traps are pointless now because the answer to them is having someone hand their breakables off, walk through the trap, and then get a cure light. Locks exist to eat a shatter because there is no other way of dealing with them if you don't happen to have the couple of people who blew build on ledgerdemain and are capable of OOG lockpicking along.

-

Last edited:
Room traps may change that slightly, but only in where everyone else stands while they do it.

I am uncomfortable to build the rules around the assumption that Plot will bail you out.

Back