A distressing observation

I feel a boiling in my gut, a bubbling, frothing urge to do something. I know I may be laughed at for what I am about to say, but if anything, that knowledge makes the boiling that much more unbearable. The other day, I was out wandering with a fine group of adventurers, many of whom I count as friends. We were wandering because we were bored; I believe I remember saying I wanted to find something to kill.
I regret those words more than I would have thought possible.
A group of three human bandits masquerading as merchants decided to attack our party despite being outnumbered. Despite being outnumbered, and as they were to find out soon, outmatched. Clearly, they were driven by desperation. Note that.
In the ensuing fracas, I engaged a caster wielding a great-sword. As we fought, he watched as his comrades fell, and in between sword blows, he frantically threw healing spells at the bleeding bandits, and finally he threw at me a necrotic spell of significant strength, laying me out on the ground, at the mercy of the fates. Fortunately, my friends and comrades were more competent than I, and when I was revived, I found three dead bandits. As we began congratulating ourselves on our victory, wiping blood from our blades, it hit me. These men were no shambling skeletons, no foul lichs or cruel constructs. These were men. These may have been the same farmers we've been protecting, driven to desperation and forced to turn to banditry to feed their families. And now they lay slain by our hands, never seeing a fair trial; only the harsh law of might makes right.
Now, to clarify, I do not fault my comrades for defending themselves, and even killing these attackers. We have all learned to be tough, not to feel compassion for those on the other end of our blade. Moral quandaries can cost one their life in battle. But I say we have let ourselves fall too far.
Later in the day, I witnessed boggles being killed either out of sport or xenophobic intent. They were some of the most well-behaved boggles I've ever encountered, and yet the very people I normally ally myself with seemed to revel in slaying them. It was described as "wiping the dung off your shoe".
When those people called heros and adventurers massacre innocents and end lives without so much as a backward glance, I believe it is time we re-evaluate. I certainly will be moving in a new direction. I am in need of training in resuscitating those who are dying and of nonlethal ways of subduing an opponent. I invite everyone to at least pause before they drive their blade into the throat or heart of a fallen opponent "Do they need to be killed? Do they deserve it? Or is there something else I can do?"
For the protection of innocents and the rights of all, I urge us to think.

This comin' from a "man" who admits t'plannin' t'steal from said comrades. Perhaps you might want t'give your precious morals a second glance, eh?

Oh, and if I recall you did in fact fault your friends and allies for defending themselves and saving you.

For the protection of your own life I urge you t'learn a lesson an' suck it up.

I would urge you to go one step further. You have witnessed the bare essence of the adventurer: carnal hate; greed; power controlled by blindness. You have seen the core of vigilantism and named it well, "Might Makes Right". Having seen adventuring's twisted face, I urge you to walk away.

Apprentice yourself to the Sheriff, approach the constabulary and become an indentured deputy, join the army and earn your stripes, find a spouse and nurture the land. The life of Adventuring is the inevitable spiral into madness, avarice, and self-rationalizing destruction. The few examples of nobility and restraint are overrun by the myriad Adventurers who view power as its own excuse and rend the world with their blundering.

This was your first taste of the 'lifestyle'. No doubt, you will be assailed by those who tell you this is the only way to stop "evil" and those "bandits earned what they deserved". Don't be swayed by their empty logic and safe answers. Turn away from Adventuring before it wraps you in its claws and your Spirit is forever lost to the Balance.

Master Dramthin Hartsboon
Keeper of the Tainted Grove

actually they were kobolds.

sometimes ye can no avoid the death of intelligent things because they are set on yer skin decoratin their sails. but i had the notion that peaceful beings would not be slaughtered, but you can't spell slaughter without laughter which seems to be the philosophy of our 'companions.'

someday they can learn on their own that it's better not to risk one's life by attemptin to kill most everything. laying your life on the line really shouldn't be a trivial decision. until then, i learned my lesson. if i wish to have a talk with anything, i am not doing it in the company of the other adventurers less they kill whomever i'm talking to be it man or elf. though i don't know why i would talk to any elf...

though i feel inclined to point out, men have killed my brothers, but that doesn't mean all men are bad. kobolds could've done bad, but that doesn't mean all of them do.

an' sheriff, don't go thinking your military poop bricks of gold, i'm sure they do their fair share of slaughtering innocents. i bet those people 'were soldiers and knew what they were signing up for.' or 'should've obeyed the crown.'

yer morality is no more infallible than any man's.

it is also pretty hilarious that yer claiming that as part of the military you won't be killing kobolds an other intelligent 'monsterous' races.

james the inconceivable of harobors far

You are completely right sir, they were Kobolds. Quite an embarrassing mistake on my part.
And to Miss Alyce, I hardly find copping a few coppers on par with slitting the throat of a helpless creature. And though I was shocked by the actions of my fellows, I later realized that it was my lack of preventing it that let it happen. I don't blame you for standing by as defenseless woodsmen were murdered. Perhaps that's how you were raised. Although I hardly see the point of your last remark. The dying woodsmen and the kobolds didn't impose too great of a threat on my life. Unless you were trying to imply that a Sharp dagger might be seeking me soon?
And to Master Dramthin, you raise interesting points worth considering, but when I questioned the Lieutenant stationed near the attack she informed me that I was perfectly justified in killing a group that attacked me. This is the crux of the issue, and a point I would love Miss Sharp's opinion on. After cutting down the bandits, what would stop us from applying first aid, binding their hands, and taking them back? Why was it essential to finish them off? I understand fighting back. I just don't consider driving my blade into the heart of a fallen enemy and looting their bodies fighting back.
I'm not ready to give up on adventuring and on my fellow adventurers. They are good people whom I would trust my life to, and their cooperation is essential if I am to learn how to become as peaceful a fighter as possible.

James...I ain' neva met ya. Lemme tell ya som'dhin bout me firs' dho, I has a way whit getting wrapped in what I do be talk'n bout...but boy WHAT YOU BE TALK'N BOUT?! Am you know good speak'n? Let ya think'n out all straight...not tangled like you am do dhere.

'splain what ya mean pleese fo dha resta us.

-Hengin

The life of those known as adventurers is one of death. One will either adapt to it or seek a more sane lifestyle. Unfortunately there are many in this lifestyle who lack the discipline to survive without resorting to the path of rampant slaughter as the answer to all things.

Greed turns men to animals, and 'adventurers' do not so much fall into monsterous ways as dive in with arms outstretched and grasping for copper in the mud and blood.

It is always best to assume at any moment a given adventurer will happily kill you and all you have ever loved if it will get them an inch closer to possessing whatever trinkets they have set upon.

-Shin

dragonfire8974 said:
though i don't know why i would talk to any elf...
And what is that supposed to mean?

dragonfire8974 said:
an' sheriff, don't go thinking your military poop bricks of gold, i'm sure they do their fair share of slaughtering innocents. i bet those people 'were soldiers and knew what they were signing up for.' or 'should've obeyed the crown.'
You people of Harbors Far just don't seem to have proper respect for our military in any way. First I get into a scuffle with Lok about this, now you. Now, I haven't met you, and judging by this conversation, I don't want to meet you, but I'm just going to tell you right now: If you think you can manage the military without people dying, then go ahead and try. I had a brother in the military a while back, and he managed to get himself killed seven times, and he knew, accepted, and finally succumbed to the risks. And another thing: The military doesn't destroy innocents. It's the corrupt we're taking down, and those are not innocent in any way.

Your views, James, as well as your buddy Lok's, have made me officially decide I do not care for the rude, ignorant, and possibly racist people of Harbors Far.

A highly unhappy ELF,
~ Gandian Ravenscroft

hahaha, mister elf, it was a simple joke meant to get a rise out of someone. and you sir fell for it!

no offense is really intended. in fact, my company was in the company and served a mystic wood elf this last week because she was worried about some cave of riddles. we solved the riddles, with help from several other adventurers of course, and killed the monsters it held within so that she would get peace of mind. you take me too seriously.

i was also baiting the military guy hoping he would come up with more excuses for what they do. i'm not saying they're wrong, i don't care much for imposing my morality on others, but i'm pointing out that he and his soldiers are just like everyone else in my normal, long-winded, rambling way. the soldiers we encountered were just as likely to these defenseless kobolds as anyone, and, i am assuming, have probably killed some defenseless farmers at the behest of some noble because they wished to be treated humanely. sadly, you fell for my bait, and not the intended target, so my fun is ruined.

though you gave me quite a laugh. don't take anything too seriously, especially if it comes from me. how do you think i got the name inconceivable, eh?

and for your information, i happen to have friends in the military. i happen to like them very much. i don't happen to wish to destroy or kill them. the point was to show that one person's view on morality can be twisted in the same way mister sheriff had done.

now that i have explained myself thoroughly, i hope you understand. you got too offended for this to be any sort of joke anymore

-James the inconceivable of harbors far

And hopefully that cleared up my in-understandable language for mister Hengin too

-James the Inconceivable of Harbors Far

the last thing is that i assure you, Lok has nothing against your military. He may take issue with some actions, but he is a peaceful and effective officer, as he was back on El Regar.

oh! are you the elf that owes him 2 silver??? that explains a lot

James the Inconceivable of Harbors Far

Gandian, i will tell you this right now. there are no racist individuals in harbors far. we have a mystic wood elf in our company. we have a gypsy in our company. we have a dryad in our company. we all live in peace together and support one another. this weekend we assisted kobolds. when i asked about people delivering the killing blow to unconcious or already dying kobolds i was told "they have no protection under the crown". so if i am to understand this correctly an intelligent RACE is given no protection by the crown and military i had once "questioned". a RACE of many is marginalized by the crown because of the actions of a few. sounds pretty racist to me. a you want to talk about racist? i am the last human you should throw that at. i plead with you now. take that back or there WILL be a problem.

-Lok of Harbors Far
PS you still owe me two silver.

Gandian Ravenscroft said:
officially decide I do not care for the rude, ignorant, and possibly racist people of Harbors Far.

just so the name calling is on record. and don't think that the "possibly" makes it all better. we all know how to sew the seeds of doubt and skepticism.m
-Lok of Harbors Far

I would just like to go on record saying that Gandian Ravenscroft is possibly in the employ of a dark wizard determined to overthrow the king, possibly a necromancer who plans to raise a necrotic army of skeletons and possibly plans to kill all goats because he is possibly a racist.

-Zell, Goat Friend of Harborsfar

Felixmac09 said:
And to Master Dramthin, you raise interesting points worth considering, but when I questioned the Lieutenant stationed near the attack she informed me that I was perfectly justified in killing a group that attacked me. This is the crux of the issue, and a point I would love Miss Sharp's opinion on. After cutting down the bandits, what would stop us from applying first aid, binding their hands, and taking them back? Why was it essential to finish them off? I understand fighting back. I just don't consider driving my blade into the heart of a fallen enemy and looting their bodies fighting back.

I think the real point 'ere is that if a person decides t'commit unlawful activities an' kill other members of their race (which I am reasonably sure those men meant t'do t'you) they should be prepared t'face the possible consequences of death. I will note that never did you mention bindin' their 'ands before 'ealing them. I'm not so sure we would 'ave been so against it then. Really I just didn't want them springin' back up tryin' to kill my companions a secon' time.

As to my last comment it's a suggestion over your view of the world. It's the innocent who die first. Sadly trust is no longer a virtue. This is 'ow we live. Should you wish to 'ave a long life I expect you might need t'open your eyes t'reali'y mate.

And yeah, I guess I can agree with your point on killin' one another over a few coppa... though you said you meant to filch it all. Stealin' a bit to get by is one thing, stealin' every single possession of value 'owever is akin to murder. 'Ow do you suppose we eat? D'ya think the food faeries come in the night and feed the starving people of our world?

You didn't know for sure that those bandits were good men yet you wan'ed to heal them. Would you have fed them too?

If so then why would you seek to create the same pover'y in one who had gone ou'of her way to save you? Would you have me turn to killin' my companions next? By your logic I would be justified in tryin'. If I were hungry would that really make it okay? Because I can guarantee that's the position you would have forced me into- starve or kill, and let me tell you, I would not 'ave faul'ed my people for defending themselves in that case. When you seek to kill others you take a risk. In my mind those men knew it wrong and did'n' care. I just seek to live... by not killin' good people 'ho mean me no 'arm. Those bandits attempted to murder us all. I can 'ave no sympathy for that.

I realize that I was unable to voice my opinion on how they should be treated. I was taken by surprise when they jumped us, and I fell in battle afterwards. Hence it being my fault that they were murdered.
But in regards to your other comments... Now, Miss Sharp, you raise an interesting point.
I may have spoken rashly when I told you I aimed to steal all your possessions. I would hate to see you starve or kill. But, you admit that if you were starving, you would kill to eat. So can you sympathize with the bandits at all?
And what would be wrong with feeding them? Or handing them to the local military, to be trained and fed and helped out of their situation? We could have come out of this with three new allies if we played our cards right.
You say the innocent die first. I feel I can do something to prevent that.

Zell, you and sewing your seeds of sarcasm have made me laugh hard enough to spew my ale from my nostrils. Good one. Also Johnathan Darin, I agree. You must always look for the good in people. Attempt to put yourself in their shoes. Sympathize or at least try to find reason behind the actions of others. Make friends before foes. At least in the case described where bandits were incapacitated. Even if it fails you must ATTEMPT to reach a common good. Admirable logic sir.

-Lok of Harbors Far
PS Gandian- You still owe me two silver.

I'm sorry. I can't sympathize. There are jobs out there, it's 'ow we adventurers make our way. What was stoppin' those evil men from findin' employment elsewhere or even beggin' for some coin? Had they come up and said they were starvin' I might 'ave 'elped. RIght now this is all speculation. We don't even know they were good to begin with. They certainly didn' act like it.

As it stands we only 'ave three dead bodies that tried to kill. Those are the facts.

An' if you don't intend on stealing all of someone's stuff you might not say so. That's a quick way to lose your allies.

Ma'am i entirely understand the fight or flight instinct. They didn't ask questions and neither did you. Completely understandable. Why deliver the killing blow? Just because they would have done it to you doesn't mean you couldn't take a second and be the bigger person. You were obviously the stronger element. Why not be the more compassionate as well? It is your option in the end however. Why not find out what was preventing them from getting those jobs you spoke of? But now we will never know.

-Lok of Harbors Far
PS Gandian You still owe me two silver.

Just the other day I watched creatures come back from the dead. People get back up and go right back to fightin'. You can't fault a girl for bein' a bit cautious. I don't 'ave a death wish.

Back