APG: Alliance Players Guide Beta Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
It sounds to me like a lot of the objection is the implication that the only options for those on certain medications are to not use them or to not play altogether. If I were writing such a policy for our chapter I’d do something like the following to make it clear that there are options in between to allow safe participation at the individual’s judgement.

“Alcohol and other recreational drugs are not permitted at Alliance events. If you use medication or have other limitations that might impair your ability to participate safely in certain game activities, we encourage you to work with your chapter staff to find a solution that allows you to participate in a way that is safe for you and for other players. Marshals and other chapter staff always reserve the right to remove someone from combat if they are acting in such a way to endanger their safety or that of their fellow players, for any reason.”

Earlier I posted that the Human introduction was lacking, and posted a replacement. Here is a version 2 of that same suggestion (with a little polish.)

Human

"Humans don't have one defined culture or history in Fortannis. You are just as likely to find humans mining with Dwarves as streaking through the wilds with tribal Elves. Not as long-lived as Sylvanborn, hardy as Dwarves, strong as High-Ogres, or magically inclined as the Elves, Humans tend toward building communities to find meaning and acceptance. Without the limitations of history Humans tend to either be the glue that holds a village together, or the mind that finds a new solution to an old problem. Not every human fits this mold, and history finds many examples of human societies that seek to exclude other races when it suits them. At their best, though, humans are the "everyman" that can see reason when old solutions become problems.

Humans also tend toward extremes in terms of adventuring. Whether this is because of the lack of an overall human culture, or an actual defining trait of humans is unknown. Whatever their adventuring specialization, humans strive to earn recognition that ultimately sets them apart from their comrades, even as they try to relate to most everyone.

Probably due to their easy integration in foreign cultures, Humans are the most likely race to take up mercantile pursuits. While they usually can’t hold a candle to Hobling-run outfits, they also don’t readily involve themselves in feuds. Most settlements have little reason to turn away humans.”

We have a class you can absolutely play while "impaired" now, though. Artisan didn't exist back when this was written. It would be better to update the language to something like, "If you take medication that affects your ability to actively participate in combat, you may be restricted to Page status while playing this game. Page rules can be found on <location>. Speak to the staff at the chapter you would like to play at to best determine what level of play may be right for you."

Artisans are not prevented from being in combat, so they are absolutely not safe to play while impaired. Even pages are not safe to be played while impaired, because the player is still responsible for being able to safely get themselves away from combat when possible.

Artisans are not prevented from being in combat, so they are absolutely not safe to play while impaired. Even pages are not safe to be played while impaired, because the player is still responsible for being able to safely get themselves away from combat when possible.

There is a very good reason I used scare quotes around the word impaired...

Sarcasm and tone often even when marked out in some way do not translate to written word. Most of forum disagreements boil down to this IMHO.

This thread is great -just wanted to call out a perfect example of how tone and text does not translate. Carry on folks!

Page 77:
If a character plays its first game with a higher XP total (for example, if you’ve NPC’d a few times before playing a PC), its starting pool is bigger to represent the gear the character might have collected in-game during its adventuring time. The pool is equal to the character’s XP times their level plus 100, up to level 30 where it caps out. Characters with enough points can spend them on starting Magic Items directly for their Ritual Point cost. This can be found on the Alliance website, where you can find a full list of Rituals with their Ritual Point costs.

I have a few questions on this from a logistics standpoint.

1. I don't see anything in the Player's Guide giving the URL for the "Alliance website". Any chance of including a specific link to the page with the Rituals and Ritual Point costs here?

2. "Characters with enough points" - is there a lower limit on how many points a character must have before they "can now use [their] staring production on a magic item"?

3. Are the resulting items going to be <chapter> items or DS items in the database? I'm thinking we're going to want to issue Temporary Magic Item tags for these either way, then have the player submit them to the appropriate party,

4. "The pool is equal to the character’s XP times their level plus 100, up to level 30 where it caps out" - Are we capping the XP to 300 for the calculation as well? i.e. is the max production points 9100? (not that I think you're going to get too many people pushing that, but I'm making a spreadsheet to calculate this stuff so...)

Edit:
5. For now, I'm assuming 1 starting PP = 1 ritual point and can be used as on the " 2.0 Item-Scroll-Production Helper.xlsx " from the https://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/alliance-2-0-prerelease.39024/ - Is that correct?

Last edited:
In a few places, the Player's Guide describes Liquid Light as an elixir. It's categorized in the rulebook as a contact gel. Granted, a liquid light should never be used in the manner of an elixir _or_ a contact gel, so its specific categorization probably doesn't matter much.

In a few places, the Player's Guide describes Liquid Light as an elixir. It's categorized in the rulebook as a contact gel. Granted, a liquid light should never be used in the manner of an elixir _or_ a contact gel, so its specific categorization probably doesn't matter much.

.....Look, there’s definitely an application here for it as a weapon coating...

.....Look, there’s definitely an application here for it as a weapon coating...

I... guess you could slap the tag on a weapon to get past Evade or pop a Poison Shield.

Now I'm imagining someone calling "500 Poison Liquid Light!"

Cloak Coating...

I've seen it used as an LCO effect against Shadow Elementals and the like.

I... guess you could slap the tag on a weapon to get past Evade or pop a Poison Shield.

Now I'm imagining someone calling "500 Poison Liquid Light!"

Cloak Coating...

I’m pretty sure it was clarified that Evade still works on Poison physical delivery, just not orange packet delivery

I’m pretty sure it was clarified that Evade still works on Poison physical delivery, just not orange packet delivery

Haven't seen that clarification. A couple people have quoted the rules to say it doesn't block poison. I think we're still waiting on confirmation that evade works.

Folks, you're all overthinking this.
"Some defenses – like Parry and Riposte or other weapon-specific defenses – have changed to specify that they work against any attack with either the “Weapon” qualifier or the “Poison” qualifier (only if the attack is made with the physical delivery). This helps eliminate some exceptions."

Weapon Shield works against both Weapon qualifier and physical-delivered Poisons in both 1.3 (as Magic Armor) and 2.0 (as Weapon Shield).

(note: this was NOT true in some of the early versions of the playtest packets; it got changed around version 0.6 on Owner request to keep it consistent with the 1.3 behavior)

-Bryan Gregory
ARC

Evade is one of those “some defenses.” It is a weapon-specific defense that works against poison-coatings.

Haven't seen that clarification. A couple people have quoted the rules to say it doesn't block poison. I think we're still waiting on confirmation that evade works.

Quote located for you.

Evade is one of those “some defenses.” It is a weapon-specific defense that works against poison-coatings.

Quote located for you.

Much appreciated. This one keeps getting brought up in various threads.

Page 77:
I have a few questions on this from a logistics standpoint.

And they're good ones! Answers below:

1. I don't see anything in the Player's Guide giving the URL for the "Alliance website". Any chance of including a specific link to the page with the Rituals and Ritual Point costs here?

I'll ask to have the "www.alliancelarp.com" URL put in here. However, the ritual point cost list location isn't yet determined, so players will need to find it on their own. I'm hoping that we can get a "New Player" section added with links to these long term.

2. "Characters with enough points" - is there a lower limit on how many points a character must have before they "can now use [their] staring production on a magic item"?

Nope, you just need to have enough points to spend (so a brand new character could in fact buy some of the smaller rits).

3. Are the resulting items going to be <chapter> items or DS items in the database? I'm thinking we're going to want to issue Temporary Magic Item tags for these either way, then have the player submit them to the appropriate party,

They'll be for the chapter they're built in, and will not count against TP. I'll put some notes in this section to state this.

4. "The pool is equal to the character’s XP times their level plus 100, up to level 30 where it caps out" - Are we capping the XP to 300 for the calculation as well? i.e. is the max production points 9100? (not that I think you're going to get too many people pushing that, but I'm making a spreadsheet to calculate this stuff so...)

Yep, it stops at 300 XP (I'll note that as well).

5. For now, I'm assuming 1 starting PP = 1 ritual point and can be used as on the " 2.0 Item-Scroll-Production Helper.xlsx " from the https://alliancelarp.com/forum/threads/alliance-2-0-prerelease.39024/ - Is that correct?

Yes indeedy, that's the calculation that will be used.

I want to comment on the use of the word "Handicap" under the topic of Discrimination on page 52.

Consider the following, please:

Disability is the consequence of an impairment that may be physical, cognitive, mental, sensory, emotional, developmental, or some combination of these. A disability may be present from birth, or occur during a person's lifetime.

Handicap is any physical or mental defect congenital or acquired preventing or restricting a person from participating in normal life or limiting their capacity.

Disability may cause a handicap.

Not all disabled people are handicapped. Many of us find ways around our disabilities.

Systems that accomodate disabilities eliminate handicaps. This is what Alliance historically has tried to do.

“Handicapped” is a widely disliked and offensive term.

https://www.diffen.com/difference/Disability_vs_Handicap

Heya. So we've had some good back and forth with people that had input in the book (or sway that can make the changes we wish to see.) A friendly reminder of outstanding issues we are still waiting to hear on:

Mental Abilities causing a false sense of love.
The Human intro.
Adding "Restricted" to the Glossary.
A breakdown as to why the Diversity Committee was ignored on many topics.

-JT

Heya. So we've had some good back and forth with people that had input in the book (or sway that can make the changes we wish to see.) A friendly reminder of outstanding issues we are still waiting to hear on:

Mental Abilities causing a false sense of love.
The Human intro.
Adding "Restricted" to the Glossary.
A breakdown as to why the Diversity Committee was ignored on many topics.

-JT

That one is still big to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back