ARB: Alliance Rulebook Beta Feedback

Status
Not open for further replies.
@Seabass that is Hands down my favorite dark elf picture so far. Especially because it also shows how blues could be used (even if it wasn't the intent).

I know right?

I have tried and failed twice with my dark elf NPC now to work the grey right. I’m ether going to emulate this deep “ash” blue or I’m going to straight up copy Chris here with his ash coloring.

I don't see this under the Alchemy description, actually. Can you point to the page number for this, please?

I swear I saw it, but now I can't find it, so unless I come back with an "AHa" post about it, consider it the product of an overworked, under slept brain. Apologies.

Me @ the Dark Elf pic:
tenor.gif

(Tongue in cheek gif, but seriously, it's an amazing photo.)

In addition to Sylvanborn referring to the removed Dominate, it also refers to the old usage that one command would replace another, but it is now possible to be under multiple Commands at once.

It is not necessary to reference "women/men" as a binary. Hedonism would be just as well conveyed by a non-gendered term like "companionship".
__

"A player who is being given First Aid and does not wish to have body contact must tell the player with the First Aid skill."

Why is the onus on a person who wants to not be touched rather than a person who is about to touch someone else? This new rule book is an opportunity to introduce better consent nationally, such as by stating a player should ask permission before touching others. If consent is assumed until refused, like it is here, it's likely the First Aid skill user will have touched their target before the target has the opportunity to announce their refusal.

Last edited:
Rebirth high magic cost is listed as 5 on the table on page 148, versus 8 in the prerelease packet.
"It is also a very good in-game cure for an in-game hangover." on page 136-137 in the description of purify is very out of place.
Is it possible to get a list or table for how mettle interacts with other effects? Even a list of "these effects are reduced from 10 to 5 minutes (while all others not listed are negated)" would be extremely helpful.

In the line of First Aid where it states that an invalid target should call "No Effect" when First Aid starts, it might be helpful to remind that corpses are not valid targets for First Aid. "If First Aid is started on an invalid target (such as a dead character)..."

The spell description for Stun Limb says it is 8th level and scrollable, while it's shown on the spell table (p114) at 7th level and missing from the scroll table entirely.

The spell description for Slow says it is 2nd level, while the spell table indicates it is 1st.

The Pin Spell is missing it's full description entry under the Effects section even though it's listed in the Chart

"A player who is being given First Aid and does not wish to have body contact must tell the player with the First Aid skill."

Why is the onus on a person who wants to not be touched rather than a person who is about to touch someone else? This new rule book is an opportunity to introduce better consent nationally, such as by stating a player should ask permission before touching others. If consent is assumed until refused, like it is here, it's likely the First Aid skill user will have touched their target before the target has the opportunity to announce their refusal.

To me, there is a base level of consent universally given as standard by playing the game. Some examples of that is being that you agree to be indirectly touched with things like boffers and packets, and also agree to be lightly and directly touched for things like Healing Arts, Picking up incapacitated characters, First Aid, and the like in order to keep the game flowing smoothly.
That said, there should be perhaps more of a clear definition of what base consent given is in the rulebook and perhaps a way of opting out of that similar to a medical page situation where that player should always be asked before being touched.

Several chapters have adopted the excellent physical and romantic roleplay policy that Denver originated. I for one would love to see it adopted on a national level.

Last edited:
Several chapters have adopted the excellent physical and romantic roleplay policy that Denver originated. I for one would love to see it adopted on a national level.

What is that out of curiosity?

Hi, apologies if this has already been noted, but the text of Enhanced Blade on page 129 has a contradiction:

The recipient chooses a single type of blade when the spell is cast on them and announces the total damage of their weapon swings while saying “” as their weapon carrier instead of “normal,” “silver,” or whatever they might otherwise call. They are not required to use the temporary carrier on every weapon swing. Available choices are limited to: Magic, Ice, Flame, Lightning, or Stone. It may be used on any weapon, even bows or crossbows. The caster chooses which element the spell will grant at the time of casting.

When a Signature Spell is cast from memory (meaning not from a Magic Item or the Flexible Casting skill, and not used via another skill such as Magistarium Strike), if it hits a target but triggers a Guard, Return, or No Effect defense, the spell may be subsequently Meditated back as though it had missed.

The above quote is from the pre-release packet v0.12b concerning the unique meditation rules for signature spells. I was not able to find reference to this anywhere in the beta ARB.

Nitpick: The description on page 124 reads "Any missing or withered limbs will also be temporarily regenerated..." (6th paragraph), but limbs aren't withered anymore

I'm attaching another picture of him. This is easily my favorite dark elf photo period.

This picture is a prime example of photo quality and lighting making all the difference. Being the same model and being indoors and as such less environmental messing with their makeup. This picture is the popular DE picture choice and it is such for a reason, its amazing. The picture looks professional, polished, and a good resolution.

The picture in the Race section, is a player (who arguably could be mistaken for a different person) who clearly has been active and outside (quite possibly the worst for a full makeup race), and their makeup has suffered as a result. It provides a realistic approach that our players "look" the part but aren't studio ready at all times. Which is a fine approach, if the pictures throughout the book kept this consistency. It has an angle & Lighting which take away more than it adds, and looks overall less professional and appears to be lower resolution. None of which is the fault of the player, and as I said previously likely look like a rockstar in person and it was simply just not their greatest photo which showcases the race, and racial requirements. Which the attached photo demonstrates that difference, especially knowing that the two players are the same person.

I agree a lot of DE players are using a "Gun Metal Grey". [Popular color choices are "Storm" and "Monster/Zombie" Grey] Because the change was for darker aspects of blue/purple (although clearly still blue or purple) and then Grey... not "dark" Grey. At night, makeup barely matters, because in the dark the only people who's make up you can usually see anyway is stone elves until you return to your tavern and see people in the light again. Not to mention with the makeup change, a lot of people needed to get new makeup and some also switch companies or makeup type. So its a new learning experience for any player in a game who only gets to play 1/2 the year.

All in all, the book flips back and forth between "Polished and Professional" and "Work in progress". Which I think exemplifies this call for public review and copy-editing. Things like ensuring photos are of similar quality, size, and placement. Sections of the book follow the same format within a section or across multiple sections are a big deal when concerning the aesthetics of material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back