Berserk and Weapon Carriers

Vryan

Rogue
Alliance General Manager
New Hampshire Staff
Hey, guys, me again. What if say you had an earth weapon (or an earth blade) and was using the Earth carrier to fight undead and you got berserked. If you started attacking another PC, would you be smart enough to pull the Earth carrier so you can actually hurt the PC, because earth doesn't hurt living? Pretty much the same situation, if you were fighting fae and you had a magic weapon (assuming the weapon the magic aura is on is normal) would you be smart enough to pull the magic carrier so you can actually hurt the fae? Thanks for your responses.

I thought PCs took body damage from earth. Anyone know for sure?

James Trotta said:
I thought PCs took body damage from earth. Anyone know for sure?

Jim earth doesn't effect you because you are healed by earth and you can not be healed by a carrier...

It should be noted that it will however eat your armor before you get to call "no effect."

--Chazz

Yea, I'm honestly not sure if Berserk would leave you "smart" enough to pull the carriers. This is funny because several of us were having another discussion about Berserk and how "smart" it left you in some regards at the last HQ event...

From the text of the rulebook I would be tempted to say that you would swing "base" weapon damage. Because using carriers even Magic (which is visible) is "activating" a magic item (using its power). And as per the wording of the affect while it doesn't mention MI's specifically, it says you can't use any daily abilities or skills, which I think might be reasonable to mean you couldn't use MI's either.

Although this is just conjecture on my part so I could be wrong.

I would whole heartedly appreciate not being called a liar by any means. Surely not by a troll like yourself.

A lie is done so deliberately. I have no intent for this game other than to understand and have everyone else understand all aspects of the rules. I may have made a mistake but without deliberate intent that is a far cry from "lies."

Would you please be so kind as to use more friendly terms like "inncorrect"? That would in fact go a long way for me to maintain the level of respect I have and would like to keep for you.

--Chazz

PS - after I doubled checked for myself, WCJP is in fact completely correct about the Earth carrier.

--Chazz

Oy. I suspect that you infer far more.. I dunno... besmirchment (to make up a word) than was ever intended. But I probably shouldacoulda added a winky or something to get that across.

This part amuses me though:
Surely not by a troll like yourself.
That would in fact go a long way for me to maintain the level of respect I have and would like to keep for you.

Gilwing said:
Jim earth doesn't effect you because you are healed by earth and you can not be healed by a carrier...
I don't think that's quite right either (the logic, not the answer... the answer is correct). Earth doesn't harm you because the description of Earth blade says that it does not harm you:
ARB said:
Since all players are not undead, they will not be affected by any creature calling “earth” damage
If a monster popped out swinging "6 Purify", you'd take the damage (you're certainly not immune to the effect), you just wouldn't benefit from the Purify effect.

Indeed, I am all about old testament. Eye for an eye was done and is now over. Provided you allow it to be of course.

Do not doubt however that I do in fact have a great deal of respect for you. In fact, I often wonder why the game hasn't tapped you for Alliance Rules. Considering your obvious grasp of the rules as written and of the rules as intended, whether you want to admit to that last or not, I firmly believe you to be capable of locking up many of the holes you point out. It is a crime that we haven't yet taken advantage of that.

--Chazz

jpariury said:
If a monster popped out swinging "6 Purify", you'd take the damage (you're certainly not immune to the effect), you just wouldn't benefit from the Purify effect.
This happened in Ohio and had to be clarified, there some hostile life elementals and they were swinging X Life. Not immune to gift (except for the person that was bottled or if there were any of our golem players there) and no positive effect from the carrier means they could even killing blow you (if KBA) which would be a very funny call.

Elemental: Killing Blow 1, Killing Blow 2, Killing Blow 3, Life! :lol:
PCs: :?:
Elemental: I killed him with the power of Life!
PCs: :roll:

jpariury said:
Oy. I suspect that you infer far more.. I dunno... besmirchment (to make up a word) than was ever intended. But I probably shouldacoulda added a winky or something to get that across.

This part amuses me though:
Surely not by a troll like yourself.
That would in fact go a long way for me to maintain the level of respect I have and would like to keep for you.

Gilwing said:
I don't think that's quite right either (the logic, not the answer... the answer is correct). Earth doesn't harm you because the description of Earth blade says that it does not harm you:
ARB said:
Since all players are not undead, they will not be affected by any creature calling “earth” damage

"6 Purify" would be no effect...you can not be healed by a weapon attack...it does not harm you. If how ever you do have a revirse life force...take it.

Dave is right on all that.

To a living thing with a normal metabolism, "x purify" or life, or any beneficial carrier is no effect after breaching armor, as you cannot be healed by a carrier. If you are not affected by the carrier, you do not take the damage.

This is the same reason why, if you riposte a blow from an undead swinging "10 drain" its response will also be "no effect." Same goes for an elemental swinging their element - you can't hit yourself over and over calling "4 flame" and be healed by it.

HOWEVER the same way 10 drain would hurt you with a normal metabolism, if some weirdo monster comes out swinging 10 purify and you are undead or have a reverse life force, this is now a harmful carrier to you and thus you take the hit.

wait... i'm confused. don't elementals heal each other by hitting each other? you can't heal a mercury golem by hitting it with a lightning weapon?

combat confuses me. I <3 casting.

Robb Graves said:
wait... i'm confused. don't elementals heal each other by hitting each other? you can't heal a mercury golem by hitting it with a lightning weapon?

combat confuses me. I <3 casting.

Rob, you can not be healed by weapon blows...you can be healed by a spell strike. So if I swing 10 lightning I can not heal people with my weapon attacks. I can how ever use my spell strike lightning storm on my self. I also can not heal others with my weapon attacks the same way.

Or using elemental packets. :)

Now what if I was swinging "10 cure light wounds"? would I take 10 damage followed by a cure light effect?

ok.. so if i see 2 flame elementals standing around, and they are hitting each other with 5 flame... are they:

a) taking 5 damage every time and then calling no effect to the flame
b) taking no damage because they are immune to flame
c) being healed 5 body by the flame (since it's not a spellstrike, I assume no)

Weapon blows are all or nothing. If you are immune to the effect, or healed by the effect, you take no damage and are not healed.

A flame elemental getting hit with "5 flame" would call "No Effect".

An unaugmented PC who gets hit with "5 earth" or "5 Purify" would call "No Effect". But as JP says, Earth goes right to body so you'd always call "No Effect", but the purify would eat your armor first, and then you'd call no effect.

It's all or nothing. Either you take the damage and the effect, or you call "No Effect".

To further complicate it, if you are an elf and get hit with "5 sleep", you can call "Resist" and use one use of your Resist Commands. You take neither the effect nor the damage. So once again, it's all or nothing.

Also, if the effect DOES NOT go straight to body, it will eat your armor first. For example, a mercury golem gets hits with "10 Lightning" but is wearing a twenty point suit of armor. They take the damage to their armor. They then get hit with "15 lightning" and they take the damage to their armor, leaving it at 0, but take no damage to their body. From there they begin to call "No Effect".

Hope this is found helpful.

Scott

Back