Berserk and Weapon Carriers

The only exception I would assume to the "don't take damage from a Purify carrier if you are a living PC" would be if you were under the effects of anything considered a negative effect, such as Disease, Drain, Nausea, etc as long as it was something that a Purify would fix.

Maxondaerth said:
The only exception I would assume to the "don't take damage from a Purify carrier if you are a living PC" would be if you were under the effects of anything considered a negative effect, such as Disease, Drain, Nausea, etc as long as it was something that a Purify would fix.

you can not be healed by weapon/claw attacks...

I have seen an npc a while back channel there ability into the incapaticated person (Ex. I drain you) but I am not to sure if that is a LCO thing.

this is all very good to know. I swear i have seen NPCs playing elementals hit each other to heal one another in a fight. I assume spellstriking would work fine for that... but blow a spell shield.. but if they are just hitting each other, then the hit guy needs to be calling no effect, and certainly not be taking healing from it.

Robb Graves said:
this is all very good to know. I swear i have seen NPCs playing elementals hit each other to heal one another in a fight. I assume spellstriking would work fine for that... but blow a spell shield.. but if they are just hitting each other, then the hit guy needs to be calling no effect, and certainly not be taking healing from it.

I would then ask the encounter Marshall or ask the NPC after the fight if they were healing each other with weapon blows..and if so they let them know that they can not do that and they should ask marshall or the person running monster desk to explain it to them.

Gilwing said:
Maxondaerth said:

you can not be healed by weapon/claw attacks...

I have seen an npc a while back channel there ability into the incapaticated person (Ex. I drain you) but I am not to sure if that is a LCO thing.

Note to self: do not read and/or respond to rules related questions when having been awake for less than ten minutes. It never ends well.

Duke Frost said:
Weapon blows are all or nothing. If you are immune to the effect, or healed by the effect, you take no damage and are not healed.

A flame elemental getting hit with "5 flame" would call "No Effect".

An unaugmented PC who gets hit with "5 earth" or "5 Purify" would call "No Effect". But as JP says, Earth goes right to body so you'd always call "No Effect", but the purify would eat your armor first, and then you'd call no effect.

It's all or nothing. Either you take the damage and the effect, or you call "No Effect".
This seems counterintuitive to me. Standard PCs are not immune to the Purify effect. If MonsterMcMonsterson chucks a packet with "5 Purify", they don't heal 5 points and take a purify, they take 5 pts of damage, and if the damage gets into body, they take a purify.

jpariury said:
Duke Frost said:
Weapon blows are all or nothing. If you are immune to the effect, or healed by the effect, you take no damage and are not healed.

A flame elemental getting hit with "5 flame" would call "No Effect".

An unaugmented PC who gets hit with "5 earth" or "5 Purify" would call "No Effect". But as JP says, Earth goes right to body so you'd always call "No Effect", but the purify would eat your armor first, and then you'd call no effect.

It's all or nothing. Either you take the damage and the effect, or you call "No Effect".
This seems counterintuitive to me. Standard PCs are not immune to the Purify effect. If MonsterMcMonsterson chucks a packet with "5 Purify", they don't heal heal 5 points and take a purify, they take 5 pts of damage, and if the damage gets into body, they take a purify.

PCs are healed by healing. Purify is in the healing group. If you are healed by an effect, you are immune to damage from that effect via weapon blow and healed by it via packet. "5 Purify" would also be invalid, as packets, unless they are arrows or bolts, must have a delivery. You could have "5 elemental purify". And in that case the player would be healed 5 and take a purify effect, as PCs are healed by healing. However, there is a reason the standard monster database does not have abilities like that, as they just cause confusion. Shatter and Destroy carrier attacks were removed from the database for the same reason, they caused too much confusion. If a chapter decides to put them out, then they have to deal with the confusion on their own and make a ruling. I'd rather just leave them out in my chapter.

I think the weirdest situation that would come out of the standard database would be a life elemental swinging "10 life". As life is not in the healing group, it would do damage to a PC race. But since you can't gain beneficial effects from a carrier attack, you couldn't be lifed by it. It would pretty much be like getting hit with "10 normal".

Scott

Duke Frost said:
I think the weirdest situation that would come out of the standard database would be a life elemental swinging "10 life". As life is not in the healing group, it would do damage to a PC race. But since you can't gain beneficial effects from a carrier attack, you couldn't be lifed by it. It would pretty much be like getting hit with "10 normal".

Scott

Doesn't that go against the all or nothing rule? The life isn't effecting me why should the damage... :p

Auric said:
Duke Frost said:

Scott

Doesn't that go against the all or nothing rule? The life isn't effecting me why should the damage... :p

I think you're right Matt. I was overthinking this one.

Scott

so if someone is swinging something you can't be affected by, you don't take the damage to your armor or body, and you don't take the effect?

sorry, I am combat dumb.

You DO take the damage to your armor. Once it gets through the armor, you start calling "No Effect".

You're a celestial mage. You need to learn these things before you store yourself into a golem.

Scott

It is amusing watching NPCs get confused when Jesse H, as Kainen in a golem goes from saying "got it, got it, got it" as a carrier affects his armor to "no effect, no effect" once it gets to body.

On the question of the life carrier, if you are lying on the ground dead, and someone hits you with a life carrier, does it affect you? I know the wording of the rule is that PCs can't be healed by a weapon carrier, but it's technically Gift, not healing. I say it doesn't, that the intent of the rule is that weapon carriers can't be beneficial, Mike says that it's just whatever heals the person doesn't affect them.

phedre said:
It is amusing watching NPCs get confused when Jesse H, as Kainen in a golem goes from saying "got it, got it, got it" as a carrier affects his armor to "no effect, no effect" once it gets to body.

On the question of the life carrier, if you are lying on the ground dead, and someone hits you with a life carrier, does it affect you? I know the wording of the rule is that PCs can't be healed by a weapon carrier, but it's technically Gift, not healing. I say it doesn't, that the intent of the rule is that weapon carriers can't be beneficial, Mike says that it's just whatever heals the person doesn't affect them.

The intent of the rule is that you cannot receive any beneficial effect from a carrier attack. The even more basic intent is that no continuous skill should heal or be beneficial. Only times per day skills should be able to heal you or have a beneficial effect. It's the same reason elemental warder glyphs no longer heal golems or elementals.

Gilwing said:
Nope, this is in the book (but used so rarely that I'm always really hesitant to use it).
P 97, under Carrier Attacks (continued from previous page): "If you are incapacitated or unconscious, then they merely have to touch you for the attack to affect you."

~Matt, WCV

I'm a bit confused on the carrier Life bit.

If you are not Dead, then Life is of no benefit to you. If you get hit with a Life spell, would you call "No effect" and appear to be immune to Life or "Taken", but have no appreciable effect? You're not Immune to Life, so I guess I'm kinda confused why you would call "No effect" if down to no armor, but being stricken by "<X> Life".

Similarly, if you have, oh, a Magic Armor active, and someone casts Magic Armor at you, would the appropriate call be "No effect", or "Taken"?

I was actually wondering the same thing this weekend. We all just called "Got it" because we didn't really know what else to do.

I would call "No effect" in reguards to the second magic armor, because you can't have more than one magic armor on your spirit at a time. You can always explain IG (or OOG) that you already had one on.

Nah you say got it to the second magic armor.

As it overrides the previous one. Much like getting hit with a second confine.

Or having someone touch cast a reflect magic on you while you have a spellshield up. You can choose to accept the spell, and thus override your spellshield as you cannot have both.

Back