Boots

I bought a pair of the sir henry boots and wore them to both caldaria and deadlands, and i must say they are the best investment I have made for game in a LONG time.
--bill

Since I'm looking to play again maybe once or twice a year, I figured this would be a good investment. The only thing I'm worried about is I wear a wide shoe. When I buy sneakers, I usually buy 4E width, but 2E (normal wide) works. I wear a 13, so if I buy a pair of these I'd go 14. I don't want to make this type of investment if they aren't going to be comfy for wide feet.

Fat-footed folk feedback would be fantastic.

i wear 14 wide normally, the size 15 boots i got are roomy (have to wear hunting socks) I think you'll be fine.

Robb Graves said:
i wear 14 wide normally, the size 15 boots i got are roomy (have to wear hunting socks) I think you'll be fine.

Thanks, Robb. I technically have the cash to order these before the upcoming event, but I'd rather hold off for now. I'll probably end up ordering a pair before my *next* event, whenever that may be (hopefully late this year).

I love your little signature avatar!!! i never saw a gingerbread baker!!! Does your character live on drury lane? (sorry i had to....)

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
I love your little signature avatar!!! i never saw a gingerbread baker!!! Does your character live on drury lane? (sorry i had to....)

Well technically he specializes in baklava. The reason I did the gingerbread man is because he's been made into a gingerbread golem twice, thanks to the Candyman (Perwin is the Candyman's apprentice). Let me tell ya, that was A LOT of fun, especially getting even more dodges than I already had. When I play, I'm the guy who walks around with a ton of baked goods for sale. His bakery was in South Point. Don't think they have a Drury lane there (that was the muffin man, my arch nemesis!). ;)

Oh, and I lied. I just ordered the boots. To hell with waiting! :D

candyman??? ew scary...that just sounds....wrong somehow HEHEHHEHE

The HQ Candyman is cool. No... he's hella-cool. LOL
He's a fae-like creature who is in charge of dreams and likes kids and often ends up rescuing orphanages from some heinous act.
I got to NPC one of his squires for a Halloween event one year - Pixxie Stixx. A very hyper, yet helpful faerie.

I think there is a pic of it in the rulebook somewhere. :)

BACK ON TOPIC!

My Robin knee boots just arrived via FedEx 2-day about 15 minutes ago. I just tried them on and all I gotta say is WOW! I ordered 14's since I normally wear 13's. I'd like it if they were slightly wider, but they are so comfy inside that it really doesn't matter. It is absolutely ridiculous how comfortable these are. I wish I could wear them to work today. Seriously.

These boots are an absolute steal for only $100 + shipping. I'm going to oil them up now. :)

I wore mine to work a couple of days to get them properly worn in before an event... got a lot of "leather daddy" comments.

As I said, SCABoots.com has phenomenal customer service. I can't ask for better. The only boots I've worn that were more comfortable were buffalo-hide custom-builts.

wear them to work!! my husband just had his ren boots resoled with rubber at a leather shop and wore them to church...heheh

I plan on wearing them around the house as much as possible to break them in. Work is a no-go. I work for Comcast and they are wardrobe nazis. Granted I work in a closed in area away from most employees, but I can still get spotted going to the bathroom or something. :p

Game related question--how many armor points are these worth?

One last post on these boots. After wearing them all weekend, I am deeply impressed. My feet don't hurt at all today, which is a first. They handled very rough terrain. They took on the mud and kept my feet dry. They kept my feet warm during the cold nights. This is easily the best investment I've made on a costume.

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
hehehehehe did you mink oil them?

Mink oil? What does that do? Where do you get it?

Walmart or any shoe shop, and it moisturizes the leather, making it look glossy and helping to prevent it drying up and cracking or becoming stiff.

Stoneskull_Rockfist said:
Tzydl Zhitelava said:
hehehehehe did you mink oil them?

Mink oil? What does that do? Where do you get it?

It waterproofs and conditions leather. It comes in a can like shoe polish so it takes some work to apply but completely worth it. You can find it in shoe stores, CVS (or any other chain pharmacy), or Target and the like.

Ok I'm bringing this post back from the dead. I still absolutely love my SCA boots, but I do have one complaint I want to post here. Walking around on rocks isn't very comfortable with these boots. As HQ players know much of the area around the tavern is rocky. As I'm preparing for playing in June I decided to go out and buy some Dr. Scholl's messaging gel extra support insoles. I stuck them in my SCA boots and WOW! I got to test these out on some rocks and it's a world of difference. Just standing on normal ground feels incredible, but this is exactly what these boots needed. They were a little over $15, so it's a bit pricey. I plan on using them in my work shoes when I'm not LARP'ing. I highly recommend these.

seriously? you're saving my life here man, that is the only thing i was going to say about them as well. i'll pick some up!

Robb Graves said:
seriously? you're saving my life here man, that is the only thing i was going to say about them as well. i'll pick some up!

Hey, I look out for my peoples. It's also a good thing I like to prepare way ahead of time for events I attend. ;)

Like I said they are $15 & change. They come with a full money-back warranty if you aren't satisfied. When you slide these babies in your boots and try them on your feet will throw away the UPC & receipt immediately. These boots are so much better with these insoles than without.

Back