Character Rewrites With New Edition???

Marcena said:
What changes do we have so far? All I know is the thing about getting rid of Detect Magic.
Off the top of my head from what I recall:

DELETED BY MODERATOR

Fearless Leader says: "Geez, guy, do you mind? Even stuff that was passed may get unpassed at the Symposium, and we don't need people thinking the rule has already changed when it hasn't.

Didn't we already have this discussion?"

Marcena said:
What changes do we have so far? All I know is the thing about getting rid of Detect Magic.

None have been announced (including that one) and none will be announced until the book is done, so don't expect anything until end of season.

tieran said:
Dreamingfurther said:
What! I thought that comment clearly meant the end of 08 beginning of 09... wow I don't think I'll even bother reading posts about the new book until it says. "Order your new rulebook now, it has been released" ;)

Well you've got to figure that the owners are probably going to want to discuss further rules stuff at the Symposium which is not until the end of August.

Which leaves 3-4 months to write, proof & edit the book.

Based on past experience, that is highly unlikely.

But possible, I suppose.

Exactly. I'd rather take my time, do it right, and make the new book great than rush it out. We also would like to have some serious discussions in person about some of the rules, and people might even change their votes on some. You never know.

Fearless Leader said:
Geez, guy, do you mind? Even stuff that was passed may get unpassed at the Symposium, and we don't need people thinking the rule has already changed when it hasn't.
People get rules confused with old editions, future editions, desired rules and completely different games. Putting up the proposals will not significantly contribute not detract from that. He asked a question, and I answered as best I could. I don't see it as any worse than speculating about rules changes we wish we could have or want to propose ("Hey, wouldn't it be cool if the rule was this...").
Didn't we already have this discussion?
No, we had a different one. You'd stated that you're afraid of public opinion weighing in prior to finalization, and I'm all for talking about it and getting excited and figuring out what could be fun and interesting. I understand if you want to say "these are not final", but deleting them seems kind of silly. Heck, I've been a proponent of 1.5 profs for two-handers and short-sword length claws for years, long before there was an Alliance, much less discussing a new edition of the Alliance rulebook. Is such discussion now verboten?

It would be nice to not be getting 'eh, wait for the new edition' to all rules concept posts for the next 6-12 months.

Just saying.

Sunnfire said:
You will have a hard time convincing me that you paid 17 build (or more depending on race/primary secondary school), to cast a spell that has had no real in-game use for years.

In fact, unless you could get my logistics staff to confirm that your 1st level celestial spell every event was detect magic, I would probably just laugh at you.

No in-game use?

What about RP? Is that not an "in-game" use?

Not everyone is a power gamer, you know.

obcidian_bandit said:
Pff, says the only fighter I know with a celestial spell. (But he memorizes Disarm, at least that's useful.) :p

*ahem*

Sheesh, ya move away and he forgets everything.

And I agree, there is no higher purpose to spending build than for character flavor/RP purposes.

jpariury said:
Fearless Leader said:
The way things are going, I wouldn't plan on a new Rule Book until next winter, with the new rules going into effect next season.
Does "next winter" mean "this coming winter" or "the winter after that"?

My next season is autumn... we play pretty year-round, so that phrase is more than a little imprecise for me.

January 09 I hope. If I can get it out earlier than that, I will...

So, 4 months to get it all edited and proofread?

If you want help, I'll gladly throw my name in that hat.

Maxondaerth said:
obcidian_bandit said:
Pff, says the only fighter I know with a celestial spell. (But he memorizes Disarm, at least that's useful.) :p
*ahem*

Sheesh, ya move away and he forgets everything.

And I agree, there is no higher purpose to spending build than for character flavor/RP purposes.

Oh, sooooooorrrrryy, 'only rogue I know with a fighter tree before scouts existed just to prove that hoblings can be fighters.'

You people are crazy.

~'Only fighter he knows that only swings for 6 at 17th level, with only one level of blacksmith.'

Thanks. Credit where credit's due and all that.

Anyway, I think New Edition should not only get a rewrite, but a complete do-over, along with Menudo. I think if they had a chance to do it all over again, the 80's wouldn't have turned out the same way.

Didn't we suffer enough through the 80s?

You want a redo?

Sick.

Its just getting a little frustrating every time the new rulebook is mentioned to hear that it is coming out "soon". And then when that time rolls around the same thing is said... =\ I know this is often the way with things like this, but that coupled with the very strict altitude about not letting out anything about what is possibly changing is somewhat frustrating. I am not complaining per say here, but trying to say how people might be a little bit frustrated, thats all.

Go through a couple more rules changes.

Then you'll get used to it.

tieran said:
Go through a couple more rules changes.

Then you'll get used to it.

*sighs* yea your probably right. :?

In the grand scheme of things January really isn't that far away.

We're all acting like little kids who can't wait to open a present and keep shaking the box and pestering the grown ups with "but I wanna open it now!"

Just relax and play the game as-is for a few more months and have fun. The owners are all players too. If they really think something is major enough for a rewrite (full, partial or whatever) then it'll happen. If not, then it won't. *shrug* If you feel that strongly about it, bug your owner.

Back