Character Rewrites With New Edition???

Hernando

I've heard rumors that players will be able to rewrite one of their characters with the new edition of the rules. Is this true and if so what will it entail?

Will this be just a build rewrite or will a player be able to change their character's race and class as well?

I have asked the same to some of the owners
I was told somthing about the tempeture in hell being cold

true but kidding about cold part

FW

If there are even small changes in the skills people would probably complain if they aren't given the chance. However I doubt I'll need a re-write, but its a good offer to give folks. Personally I'd be more a fan of fluid skills to the point of allowing you to "lose" ones you realized you didn't want. But for now I just plan my own very carefully. ;)

*not an owner or anything, guys a guy

I personaly would love one right now
a limited one where I could take say half my skills dump em and pick new ones would also be nice
Months ago I asked about the new rules and possibility of a Forge for players and was told it was not going to happen.
Now who knows if I was jsut told this to keep it secret or if its changed or whatever.

FW

My two cents as an owner: I really don't mind tweaking existing characters so that they are more in line with the latest rules edition since some rules and abilities will be modified/dropped/added anyway. True, it might mean more work (and a few more unfortunate headaches) for Logistics, but if it is enough to keep some players happy without bringing about any radical I-G changes ("Say, weren't you an Elf last game?") as a one-shot "fix," then I have few problems with that.

I would also agree with allowing limited change. And there are some things that I think would make no sense to change even if a person got a spirit forge, like Read and Write. Its hard to come up with any explanation for losing that skill IG...

Find me a good IG explanation for why Hoblings can't be fighters, or so many races can't use specific weapons due to 'size' despite being the same size as the person physrepping them, and I'll worry about that bit. ;)

Dreamingfurther said:
like Read and Write. Its hard to come up with any explanation for losing that skill IG...

Magic.

So far there are no new rules that would require re-writes. So don't go planning on it!

If there will be any changes, they will be for one particular skill only. For instance, suppose a particular race gains a new racial skill on top of their already existing ones. We may allow them to sell back some of their old racial skills in order to buy the new one BUT not to redo the entire character.

The way things are going, I wouldn't plan on a new Rule Book until next winter, with the new rules going into effect next season.

*knocks on wood*

Seriously though, Resist Magic could use a little bit of a buff. As it stands now it is tecnically worse than a spell shield because it cannot resist Dragon Magic. I think it would be more balanced if it could resist any non-gas packet delivered (and thus magical) attack once per day. *shameless Dark Elf plug* ;)

Wraith said:
Find me a good IG explanation for why Hoblings can't be fighters, or so many races can't use specific weapons due to 'size' despite being the same size as the person physrepping them, and I'll worry about that bit. ;)

Elves have hollow bones.

~Joe

Is that why you drop so easy Joe?

I could understand a bit of re-writing. Like for a fighter that dropped a bunch of build to get a spell that no longer exists.

Yeah, but they don't buy specific spells... they buy spell slots... and I really don't see 1st level earth and celestial being removed from the game all that soon :)

tieran said:
Yeah, but they don't buy specific spells... they buy spell slots... and I really don't see 1st level earth and celestial being removed from the game all that soon :)

OMFG r u kidding?!111? Disarm and light is soo brokenz!!!!!!11111111111one!!1111111

Yes.

Yeah, but I know a fighter that only wanted the first level so he could cast detect magic. That's going away, no?

Most fighters who take a first level celestial spell don't take it so that they can cast detect magic... they take it so that they can cast spell shields off of scrolls.

You will have a hard time convincing me that you paid 17 build (or more depending on race/primary secondary school), to cast a spell that has had no real in-game use for years.

In fact, unless you could get my logistics staff to confirm that your 1st level celestial spell every event was detect magic, I would probably just laugh at you.

Back