Cheap Costumes and Boffer Weapons?

Golgoth said:
Just remove the sleeves, the zippers, the collar, and the pockets.

Please explain - what's wrong with the sleeves, collar and pockets?

Pockets especially seem keen for an artificer/alchemist type (or a rogue). I agree with the zipper, plan on getting the 'toggle buttons' mentioned. Using brads to 'stud' the armour is also a good idea for the extra 6 points. The collar is good for a little warmth (maybe not so good during summer days, but good during the evenings - though I'd rather be too hot than too cold) and cutting off the sleeves just means extra work to make any 'unattached' sleeves work right to get the armour there. (As it is now, I get 2 points of armour for the arms with the gloves I got)

I am thinking of replacing the round buttons with toggle buttons for the pockets - just because that seems a little more period. Granted that pockets would probably be less used for a front-line type fighter (who is more concerned with protection) but someone like me who avoids combat and may just use a staff for blocking when he learns to use a staff, seems like a good utility space to stick something in (like a scroll if I wasn't a biata)

This works best with a real leather jacket, but a decent looking fake leather jacket could work, too.

I can't tell - the label says it's leather (though it's a thrift store label so I don't trust it's accuracy). It SMELLS the same as the gloves I got, so I presume it's real leather. Any way to tell for sure?

The rule book defines "leather armor" as armor made up of leather, vinyl, doeskin, suede, naugahide, heavy canvas, and armor made of leather plates. It also says you can get more points for thickness of material and additions, such as the aforementioned studs.

So as long as your jacket looks like leather, I'm sure it'll be fine. :)

MathGwyson said:
Golgoth said:
Just remove the sleeves, the zippers, the collar, and the pockets.

Please explain - what's wrong with the sleeves, collar and pockets?

Pockets especially seem keen for an artificer/alchemist type (or a rogue). I agree with the zipper, plan on getting the 'toggle buttons' mentioned. Using brads to 'stud' the armour is also a good idea for the extra 6 points. The collar is good for a little warmth (maybe not so good during summer days, but good during the evenings - though I'd rather be too hot than too cold) and cutting off the sleeves just means extra work to make any 'unattached' sleeves work right to get the armour there. (As it is now, I get 2 points of armour for the arms with the gloves I got)

I am thinking of replacing the round buttons with toggle buttons for the pockets - just because that seems a little more period. Granted that pockets would probably be less used for a front-line type fighter (who is more concerned with protection) but someone like me who avoids combat and may just use a staff for blocking when he learns to use a staff, seems like a good utility space to stick something in (like a scroll if I wasn't a biata)

This works best with a real leather jacket, but a decent looking fake leather jacket could work, too.

I can't tell - the label says it's leather (though it's a thrift store label so I don't trust it's accuracy). It SMELLS the same as the gloves I got, so I presume it's real leather. Any way to tell for sure?

I dont think there is anything "wrong" with the sleeves, collar and pockets...It may look more like a leather jerkin if one was to remove said things...it may also look more "in-period" as well.. :thumbsup: or at least thats what I would say to back up a reason to remove said things...

I agree, I thought removing said parts of the jacket was for appearance only. Which isn't neccessarily a bad thing. :)

So, any opinions about the pics of the vest I posted would be highly appreciated. Does it work? Does it suck? I need assisstance since it's my first time trying to make a medieval outfit. Thanks. XD

It looks pretty good to me. I've only got two things I might change about it:

First, it looks like you just punched holes in the vinyl for the lacing. I haven't worn a lot of vinyl clothing in the past, but I'd be worried about that eventually stretching or tearing. If you put in eyelets or grommets with some sort of backing (leather, more vinyl, thick non-stretchy cloth), it'll probably last longer.

Second, I think if you trim the bottom edge a bit, it might look a bit more natural and less rectangular. Then again, I'm far from a costuming expert, so take that with a grain of salt.

KyleSchmelz said:
It looks pretty good to me. I've only got two things I might change about it:

First, it looks like you just punched holes in the vinyl for the lacing. I haven't worn a lot of vinyl clothing in the past, but I'd be worried about that eventually stretching or tearing. If you put in eyelets or grommets with some sort of backing (leather, more vinyl, thick non-stretchy cloth), it'll probably last longer.

Second, I think if you trim the bottom edge a bit, it might look a bit more natural and less rectangular. Then again, I'm far from a costuming expert, so take that with a grain of salt.

I did just punch holes in it, lol. I was considering something more durable, but honestly I don't even know how those things work. Maybe I'll consult my good old friend Google. :thumbsup:

I was thinking about trimming the bottom, too. And/or wearing a belt over it. :p

Thank you so much for all your help! I really appreciate it! :D

I would definitely be worried about wear and tear with that vest, and it's quite cute. You can get grommets at joanns or a local craft store, and they are pretty easy to figure out. :) just make sure you have the installation tool (you can buy packs with the grommets and tool together), and a hammer. :) it's pretty easy. :)

I'd definitely trim the bottom too. You could make it jagged like it's seen some ewear, or make it a bit less square to make it look near too. Looks nice!

siriuslyyellow said:
So, any opinions about the pics of the vest I posted would be highly appreciated. Does it work? Does it suck? I need assisstance since it's my first time trying to make a medieval outfit. Thanks. XD

Sorry! Didn't mean to 'steal' your thread, but since you and I were in more or less the same boat regarding this, I thought I'd chime in here instead of make a new thread.

I have no idea if that's good or not or how to improve it, but fortunately others have posted :)

@everyone else - this is a really nice jacket and it fits perfectly, so i'd kind of hate to cut off the sleeves (that said leather jackets are not really my thing, so I suppose cutting it up isn't too big a deal...). I will change the zipper and the buttons on the pockets to toggels at the very least, though.

Still have to make my robe for Saturday! (in costume prop making day + some 'combat training' since we're a new chapter and people need to get used to combat calls etc.) 0-0, so will leave the zipper for now and maybe I'll get some tips on Saturday.

MathGwyson said:
siriuslyyellow said:

Sorry! Didn't mean to 'steal' your thread, but since you and I were in more or less the same boat regarding this, I thought I'd chime in here instead of make a new thread.

I have no idea if that's good or not or how to improve it, but fortunately others have posted :)

@everyone else - this is a really nice jacket and it fits perfectly, so i'd kind of hate to cut off the sleeves (that said leather jackets are not really my thing, so I suppose cutting it up isn't too big a deal...). I will change the zipper and the buttons on the pockets to toggels at the very least, though.

Still have to make my robe for Saturday! (in costume prop making day + some 'combat training' since we're a new chapter and people need to get used to combat calls etc.) 0-0, so will leave the zipper for now and maybe I'll get some tips on Saturday.

A few nice tricks to make the jacket look a bit better without cutting it up: put in grommets around where the sleeve meets the shoulder cuts, then lace. You can do the same with the sides. Some jackets like my old rocker/motorcycle jacket has the side laces already there.

siriuslyyellow said:
I agree, I thought removing said parts of the jacket was for appearance only. Which isn't neccessarily a bad thing. :)

Looks good for a first try...but I will add to the grommets would be very helpful in it not ripping or splitting..

prashka said:
I would definitely be worried about wear and tear with that vest, and it's quite cute. You can get grommets at joanns or a local craft store, and they are pretty easy to figure out. :) just make sure you have the installation tool (you can buy packs with the grommets and tool together), and a hammer. :) it's pretty easy. :)

I'd definitely trim the bottom too. You could make it jagged like it's seen some ewear, or make it a bit less square to make it look near too. Looks nice!

Thank you so much! I worked kinda hard on it. Glad to know it looks good. :D

MathGwyson-- No need to apologize! The more we can all help each other, the better it is for everyone! Let us know how your jacket comes out. :)

MKing-- You're probably right about the grommets. A few people have mentioned them on this thread. I'm gonna see what I can do. :thumbsup:

Thanks again, all! :D

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'm not an expert seamstress, but I have done a LOT of LARP costuming in the past few years. I can answer some questions and probably make some suggestions if you like. :)

prashka said:
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I'm not an expert seamstress, but I have done a LOT of LARP costuming in the past few years. I can answer some questions and probably make some suggestions if you like. :)

Awesome! I fully will! Thank you!! *hugs* :D

SkollWolfrun said:
A few nice tricks to make the jacket look a bit better without cutting it up: put in grommets around where the sleeve meets the shoulder cuts, then lace. You can do the same with the sides. Some jackets like my old rocker/motorcycle jacket has the side laces already there.

Oh... so that it looks like it's sewn together with a sinewy material rather than the machine-stitching? Good idea, I found some waxed cotton cord that looks kind of like leather (about the thickness of shoelaces) that I could use.

MathGwyson said:
SkollWolfrun said:

Oh... so that it looks like it's sewn together with a sinewy material rather than the machine-stitching? Good idea, I found some waxed cotton cord that looks kind of like leather (about the thickness of shoelaces) that I could use.

I'm using suede lace. It looks very medieval-esque and is super strong. It was pretty cheap too. I tjink $5 for 8 yards? Just thought I'dd throw that out there. :p

MathGwyson said:
SkollWolfrun said:

It's so that you achieve something like this look for the shoulders and then lace up the sides like Sarah (siriuslyyellow) did with her vest (shown on pg2 of this thread):
GB3331.jpg

Both waxed cotton and suede (or any leather) lace are "in-period", as far as I can tell.

-Luke

Get a lucet and make your own cord for the extra level of authenticity!

Or, y'know, don't be insane like me and just go to Tandy and buy a roll of leather cord.

As far as boffer weapons go, there's cheap, there's good, and there's light. Pick two. :funny:

T-tunics are ridiculously easy to make if you can sew a straight line on a machine. And totally period.

What I personally recommend for the new player is, find one piece of costuming that really defines your character. Something that you feel is distinct and makes you feel more in the game. Spend your money on that, and buy cheap throw-away pieces for the rest. Then, pick a next piece. Save up to upgrade that one. And keep going around that way. It worked remarkably well for me when I first started out 12 years ago.

Also, splurge on foot gear. It's the one piece that you're going to destroy faster than anything else, so buy something resilient and comfortable, but still in period. I spent $120 on my boots. They've last me for going on 6 years now and the soles are just starting to wear down to the point where I'm contemplating getting them replaced.

Inaryn said:
As far as boffer weapons go, there's cheap, there's good, and there's light. Pick two. :funny:

Honestly, as a brand new player? Don't worry about light so much as cheap. You're probably going to end up with very different ideas on what you want to fight with after a game or two anyway, so no sense in investing more than you have to to build something safe and durable.

Wraith said:
Inaryn said:

Honestly, as a brand new player? Don't worry about light so much as cheap. You're probably going to end up with very different ideas on what you want to fight with after a game or two anyway, so no sense in investing more than you have to to build something safe and durable.

Which is actually a very good reason to NPC an event. You get time with various weapons more than as a PC.

I'm not a awesome seamstress. But my first event as a pc I did it very cheap. I made pants with sale fabric. Got a button down from thrift village and made some ears and a tail. And got scra fabric and made a bag. Then between events I slowly started making my costume better and more coyote like. I'm still not 100% satisfied but again with all the different ideas to start is good cause eventually you can always add little by little. But I like npcing first cause it gave me a bunch of ideas

Back