DARKON

I'd love to see an Alliance movie made from a sympathetic standpoint. I have the advantage of working in a field where people are generally pretty accepting, so I straight up told my boss why I was taking all those weekends off. It turned out she has a friend who goes to cons for LARPing. Her words: "I don't really understand what they were doing, but they were sure having fun doing it."

People can be more open than you expect.

Mike,
I have formal training in video editing/filming. I just have no equipment.

If we could figure out a way to rent equipment and get some time to do it, I'd be up for it.
-Ali

My laptop had Adobe (althought I need to fix it) and my job has Final cut pro. My best friend also has a Mac book (damn macs) with Final cut on it. Me and him spents hrs on it cutting out independent film, all 2 1/2 hrs of it.

okay so i finished the film actually watched it twice because my parents wanted to see it so they could see what we do...problem about pausing every other scene to say "but its different because ____________________" we're lucky because we have story tellers and people willing to play the bad guy...

1 scene in Darkon that has continued to TICK ME OFF since I saw it was when the guy with white blond hair and handlebar mustache that plays the dark elf makes a deal with one of the head red and black guys to back stab the other guys for a bit more gold OUT OF CHARACTER he had NO make up on and the other guy had no costume on and they made a deal OOG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! man that really burned my biscuits.....I'm over it now but i was very angry and huffing at the tv for a bit heheheheheheh

even mymom who is the sweetest soul said that it was wrong for them to use information out of game for their characters!!

I thought the double cross funny and messed up. I wonder how Darkons DE's and Alliance DE's would treat one another if they were ever to meet!

whats a DE?

Dark Elf

I liked that they were all somewhat fluent in their own form of drow, however...I was not liking that a man was in charge but thats because I am only used to DND drow and Drizzt drow...i don't really know the dark elf of alliance culture

There are an entire societies of male Dark Elves that rule houses (they're call Patron Fathers) and even in the underdark of DnD there were many a house that are ruled by men with the matrons knowing full well about it too. :eek: I've been reading way to much forgotten realms. :geek:

Justin H-

oooh interesting...I never got too far into the story just three of the drizzt ones..which for me was a love/hate relationship. ie: sometimes I liked him sometimes i didn't. but i did like the stories and the culture.

Just remember - Forgotten Realms is getting a complete re-write with the upcoming 4th edition of D&D...

The books or the RPG? I'm mainly talking about the books.

doverman said:
Just remember - Forgotten Realms is getting a complete re-write with the upcoming 4th edition of D&D...

the RPG, but every time they re-write the world, they ret-con the lore. Either way, we're way off topic ;)

dungeons and dragons is online?...thats just not right hehehehe

I have to say that I was also a bit disappointed with Monster Camp because it wasn’t the most positive movie about larp'ing at all. I haven't seen Darkon but if it also only focused on the nerds and less successful people that’s too bad.

However I can understand that some of the more normal people who play these games requested not to be in the movie. I have a large group of friends at St. Olaf where we go to college and we play larp pretty much all day every Saturday on campus. (There are nice woods right outside one of the dorms that we use.) There is a large amount of nasty feelings, resentment, and cat calling that people direct towards us for really no other reason than we do something different. I know for a fact that some of the newer players didn't even initially tell their friends they played larp because they were afraid of being snubbed for it. And I've had people yell random curses (not the spell type) and swear at me from passing cars as I walked around in my costume. It is immature and sad.

It is a ridiculous and totally intolerant attitude, completely opposite what the "normal" educated people profess how they think. The fact is that people have problems accepting something that they don't understand or don't know about. And often larp'ers makes people feel uncomfortable. For many people tolerance boils down to "when I feel comfortable" this is very unfortunate. And also the age old "I feel better if I chop other people down" doesn't end when you get out of High school.

I'd love to see a movie made about Alliance larp which had some interviews with people who do have regular successful lives and portrays larp'ing in a good light. For me it gets me out of MMO's which I have a tendency to get totally addicted too and are not good for me, so in that way it’s a cure for me. Its also active, stimulates creativity, interactive and not something you can do for 23 hours a day even if you tried (because you need other people). I hope that maybe sometime in the future it will be accepted just as another reasonable hobby that people can play and not be discriminated against for doing.

awww david that's just sad...where I come from...if you're not a geek of some standing you're looked at as a redneck which is just as sad....titles and ignorance is no good no matter which way its spread. I think the reason the "normal" people make fun of us "geeks" who LARP is because....they've forgotten how to play make believe and dress up from childhood and it makes them sad so they lash out at those of us who will never lose the inner child that keeps us young and happy! :D

I don't wanna grow up. I'm a Toys R Us kid!

A very memorable quote from Dustin Hoffman when asked what J.M. Barrie's message would be to us all after making Finding Neverland:
"Go ahead and be an adult, but don't be a grown-up."

Back