Good Friends of Wayside!

Good Friends,

Iz enjoying the echos en my 'ead at night deez dayz. My family seem to enjoy as well, speaking daily uv de peoples taughts weel dey slep. Iz not all nice, but de sound of yoor voices let us no we're not alone right now. Yoo 'ave been speaking of undead, de death of ah Romani cousin Quassim, and now uv the Lady uv Death.... Yoor dreams are plagued with nightmares, so let meh tell you a story... En meh travels I 'ave heard many legends... But I 'ear dis one in many a place, including 'ere in Turna. De legend of de Lady uv Death.

Ah lowly tavern gurl behcame bewitched by a young Lordly Knight and gave 'erself to 'im by the glade after he swore his 'eart to 'er truly... 'E left her that night and for years she returned to meet for a trist, as he bade her so...but 'e never returned. She grew sad... den as she aged... angry, and as 'er enger turned to hate she swore vengeance on his Ilk... She swore her revenge against 'im, even as an old wuman. She found deh right tings in her sacks and set out into the night, never to return to the glade...

Once med into a creature uv night she scoured de lands of men...But, she was robbed of her vengeance when she found dat the boy she loved 'ad not bin untrue, but 'ad bin killed en battle the next dey after dere magical night. She now wanders the lands of Terna culling greedy merchants, killing false nobles, and murdering the untrue....Iz sed dat deh glade's water can purify her spirit and mek 'er hooman agen.... Iz alzo sed that a pure love could set 'er from 'er enger... No won, nos for sure... for all doz who meet 'er r too frightened to find out...

Yoor lands seem to 'ave alot of tragic stories... May I beh a ray of joyful sunshine when weh meet.

Fortannis with you,
Vadoma Drabardi Lyuba Josephina Nadya Tsura Domari
2nd Fortune Teller and Healer of the Domari Tribe

Ladies Domari and DagonGaddi

I am Diklo and Diklo is me.

My name is Yuri Tobar Branosh Rudari, my friends call me Diklo. I hail from the lands of Enidore and the Kumpania Rudari. Many years ago I found myself in Arbor, and became and apprentice to the Guild of Celestial Arts there. Owing to my station I have acted as an observer for the guild, concerned mainly with the events surrounding the town of Briarpass.

I have no love for necromantic magic, but master Thatcher speaks true. I have been followed by undead creatures on every visit to Briarpass. I did not create them, but they seem to be drawn to me, and perhaps to all of our cousins. Beware my cousins, and all Romani that visit these lands, the cursed hunt you and something in our very blood calls them from their graves. It is the worst sort of bad luck there can be.

As I have said, I am only an observer in Briarpass. I may only call upon my magic to defend my life, or the lives of my guildmates. It is not for me to find the root of this evil, nor is it for me to call for it's destruction.

May I eat at both of your weddings,
Diklo Rudari

Brother Diklo, true enough you have been followed by undeath each time you go to Briarpass? If undead to pursue us yet, even after the final death of Quassim.....there is a story told to me that is the shame of our peoples. It comes from the legends of the far west....the story of the first undead was created by a Romani. Perhaps this could be reason if it is in fact true.

Let's be rational about this. Diklo Rudari, you say the creatures were drawn to you: did they attack you? swear obedience? obey your commands? From what I've heard, they have been attacking Rom as much as any others and are simply drawn to their position. What I suspect is that Rom are targets of these creatures, not their masters. If Rom were involved in their creation, they would most certainly be safe from their onslaughts.

The only connection we have found so far was poor Prince Quassim and he was most assuredly not in his right mind. Perhaps, in his muddy mind, he felt he could find revenge for some past grievance by sending his minions against other Rom. There was talk, at one point, of a love he lost? Maybe he blamed his family and wished to settle a score. Maybe he thought those in the area had captured her and he was seeking her return. Now that he's dead we'll never now, but from what I've seen, Rom have the most to fear from the night, not the least.

Dramthin Hartsboon
Simple Keeper of the Tainted Grove

One who walks in the Light has no need to fear the darkness. If the vagrants fear darkness and attract undead its caused by their nefarious ways and their lack of respect for such good concepts as hearth, family, and working the land. These creatures are incapable of loyalty outside their "clans" and unwilling to restrain themselves to sensible laws. This is their just deserves as their dark ways call chaos among them.

No... you have nothing to fear from darkness if you have light in your heart.

Brother Tatcher,

My Captain, Renlee Firstbourne, and I will be venturing out from The Baron Duke Buchanan's lands on our way back to Arbor in the next few weeks. Perhaps with some work, and official backing, of the Order your group could flower into a powerfull movement within Wayside. We will host a gathering of First Light late Friday night with the members of the Order on hand and any interested in cleansing the blight of darkness from these lands.

Khale, Khalin,

As the duly apointed representatives over Briarpass there is a small problem we'd like you to deal with... nothing to be overly concerned about for Warriors such as yourselves. Perhaps you could even use it as a training tool for some promising recruits.

By the way, Khale, How has that sword been working out for you?

Walk in the Light.

Brother Cole

AllianceCHI said:
One who walks in the Light has no need to fear the darkness. If the vagrants fear darkness and attract undead its caused by their nefarious ways and their lack of respect for such good concepts as hearth, family, and working the land. These creatures are incapable of loyalty outside their "clans" and unwilling to restrain themselves to sensible laws. This is their just deserves as their dark ways call chaos among them.

No... you have nothing to fear from darkness if you have light in your heart.

Then the major body of Romani have nothing to fear! Especially if the concept of familia is concerned. We are nye "creatures" without loyalties to others beyond the familia. We may contract with those who are nye Roma, befriend, battle beside, save, nurture, love, and even marry with them! We are a proud, respectable race that do naught but seek in Briarpass a cure for the undead infestation and I am sure we have cured it in the first month! I myself did voluneer as bait to lure the "Prince" Quassim out of him hiding place! I am a fisherman, by trade. If you know anything about fishing mister, know this, the bait always dies!

Child...

Do shut your mouth! Do you not understand there is a clear link between your people and the plagues which have befallen these peoples? That your wanton dismissal of these grievances, though not brought in an acceptable manner, will only serve to further yourself from your goal? Were you never warned that the outside world may not always react with the "easy" manner in which you purport yourself to act? I myself have studied these concepts and found merit in many of the accusations laid upon by the peoples of wayside.

In all respects to the Order of the Light, whose perview this perticular problem rests with, despite my many and varied disagreements with their Order and the thinly veiled threats layed upon me by those members of that order, their assesment has yet to be succesfully disputed in a rational manner by anyone of note.

Your flippant dismissal of these peoples will not be taken lightly and does not reflect well upon you or your race's chance at survival in these lands. Though I have found that the peoples of Wayside are generally peacefull in nature you are dealing with their very livelyhoods, lives, and families.... these are concepts even a Romani cannot dismiss and in doing so earn the ire of even the most calm and open minded of their citizenry. I would gladly wish that your people's would be cleansed of this malady and that the wounds could be healed but I warn you, Your peoples are not protected officially under any of Wayside's laws unless a member of a guild group or singly apointed rigths by the regent. as such if you bring violence upon yourself you will find no healing, and no legal justice.

With that advice in mind, do threat your words more carefully. I await your no doubt pithy reply.

Regards,

Simeon Rice
Earth Guild Master
Sanctioned Chaotician

Simeon,

I bring no violence nor threats of violence, mister. Only memories of what I have seen happen or had a hand in making happen. I such as any do wish this matter resolved safely and quickly. I however do nye think that there is sound justification as of yet of the denial of legal protection of Romani as there has been no subsequent incident with Romani "bringing" undeath since Quassim died.

We are subject to law's consequence, we ought be subject to its benefit.

May Troubles Become Lost On Their Way To Thy Doorstep,

~Marcena Cenkraea "The Dove" DagonGaddi

Earth Guild Master Simeon Rice - Marcena Cenkraea is a law-abiding and worthwhile citizen. She and her family have never, as long as I have known her, acted contrary to the laws of any land they attended. I have personally seen her battle with undead and she was instrumental in bring the criminal Prince Quassim to justice. Her customs may be foreign to many lands, but her willingness to uphold the rule of law and aide others in time of turmoil is without reproach.

As for the greater Rom issue, I would be very interested in seeing any research which proves more than a circumstantial connection between random Rom travelers and the creation and control of undead creatures. That there have been Rom Necromancers and Chaoticians is unremarkable as every race has their fair share of wilted leaves. If, however, there is indeed a direction relationship, then supporting groups such as the GFW only serves to exacerbate the problem, not create a solution. I am not unlearned in the ways of academia and will gladly put my abilities in the hands of any impartial school willing to investigate the matter.

In other questions, your accolades list "Sanctioned Chaotician". I don't think I understand the full weight of that title, would you be willing to explain it?

Dramthin Hartsboon

Brother Cole,
You dont even need to ask me for assistance, simply point me in the direction and you will come to notice my sword and shield at the ready and all my spells will be at your disposal.

As for the sword, with each passing day I grow ever more curious it seems to have taken on a sentience of its own it calls out to release the souls of those entrapped into undead forms. the blood hasnt been washed from my tabard nor has it been cleaned from my sword as a warning to those that dance with chaos.

much like my sword I to am growing hungry...I am however delighted to know that Guildmaster rice is around perhaps I shall dine soon enough.

Sir Khale - you cover yourself in gore, speak to your bloodthirsty sword, howl out for death, and openly threaten an Earth Guildmaster. Tell me again how you're a force for reason and justice?

Dramthin Hartsboon

The gore you speak of is a badge and a sign to those that look upon it... that fierce words or some attempt at physical intimidation hold no sway upon my resolve. My sword however I hold no mastery over... it does demand it's hunger to be slated on the flesh of the corrupted who am I to question this request of his. Howl for death.. nay good sir I am just resolute and verbose. it bolsters my constitution and serves me well when in the trenches where others confidence begins to fade. howl for death you say.. I say a battle call a call for those who need encouragement to pick up sword and ready spell against those that would threaten our homes, kill our families and force hostile actions against us.

you speak of a threat against an earth guild master and I'll mix words with you again, a threat implies an uncertainty of deliverance a means of intimidation with no clear definitive action behind it. no good sir I make no threat I only deliver promises.

Khale Blacklight

Khale Blacklight, mean you take action against Rice? He call himself "Sanctioned" chaostician, means I think that he is well within the law to do so else he would nye say such things aloud, ah? Leave him be, dear one, else you find yourself on the receiving end of the regent's justice.

And I am guessing that the most violent aid that you offer is toward undead and their masters, ah?

Lady Cenkraea,
I would ask you what you deem to be acceptable laws... should a law be in place that allowed the genocide of the rom, would it be so easy for you to dismiss it?. because he is sanctioned simply means that the level of corruption from him has spread to his superiors or he is just a lackey for something more foul that resides in Arbor. Chaostician is a fancy word that at it's core is meant to trick and deceive. Chaostician you say.. I say Necromancer.

you are not privy perhaps to the fact that Guildmaster Rice and I have danced before and I'm sure will dance several more times before the performance is completed.

Fearing of the Regent's strength... All too often I find myself at Odds with Ephiram I am sure that he has nothing but the best for this hamlet and the domain he controls. However my issues with Ephiram are not for your ears or anyone else's he and I know were each other stand and if he has a complaint I know that he will take it up with me as when I have a complaint against or for him I take it up with him directly.

Know this Dove, I am fully aware of the law and the repercussions of my actions I am fully willing to suffer whatever fate my actions garner in order to carry out my promise.

I am the most committed to this cause, perhaps people were still unsure about that... I'll say this again I am the most committed should I suffer my final death if it meant putting to rest the plague of chaos that washes these lands then it is a small sacrifice on my part.

In Service,
Khale Blacklight

As for the laws of Wayside, I need know very little as Romani are not officially protected by it, subject only to its reprimand. However, I perceive difference in a land with a law encouraging genocide and a writ of authority to study elements that oppose order, mister Blacklight. Does this man raise undead and send them to attack towns and those he deems unfit for living? If so then he has fallen into horrible horrible habits and must be dealt with, but if nye. If he are merely a student to study and equip adventurers with knowledge against the undeath then I see no wrong, but rather a misunderstanding. I should ask of him myself soon.......I mean nye direspect, mister and I hope you do nye take it as such.

With Good Fortune And Love For All,

~Marcena Cenkraea "The Dove" DagonGaddi

It's like if I studied how to commit genocide on gypsy peoples.

Here is perhaps a way for you to better understand, a person who casts sorcery and necromancy should be treated much like the way a Marhime would be treated.

do understand this word marhime?

I do not, what does it mean?

Dramthin Hartsboon

Marhime I don't believe has a literal translation other then perhaps "traitor to your race." when I was younger I was engaged to be married to a gyspy call called Lorana needless to say we both were adventurers and the dragon of Anilar had chosen a different path for her and I... I dont pretend to know much of the Gypsy peoples.. I only know what I've picked up while traveling.

Marhime in Anilar were marked by a special gypsy curse and were hunted by the Gypsy Kris and sometimes the bandolier of the clan they came from. Perhaps things are different here in these lands and those that share the mists with these lands.

Anilar was a very rough enviroment to grow up in. you couldnt fence walk you chose a side and if it meant you dying for that side you did it. perhaps that is where my zealotry comes from I spent all of my life in Anilar and even when I traveled to lands now encompassed by mists or lands that dont exist anymore and even to this very moment Anilar calls to my heart.. as it will always. Any Anilarian will feel this... it was a horrible place to live and repeatedly we got killed or tortured but whoa be any stranger who bad mouthed our lands

Anilar can very succinctly be summed up in the adage

I against my brother; my brother and I against our Cousin; My Cousin and I against the stranger.

Aye, I know well the word marhime better than I e'er would have liked to. In fact, the ritual of Dagon after even saying the word is to wash out ones mouth with salt water! But yet, there is a difference to be perceived! If you only studied how to commit genocide against Romani in order to help the Romani people against those who would try to commit genocide then has a wrong then been committed? A necromancer may very well be a traitor to the earth, but one who studies without practice may perhaps be an implement of the Balance by which all are bound. Like Order and Chaos, Flame and Ice, Night and Day, Earth and Sky. Why there are so many undead? Perhaps from lack of balance from all the Earth magics flying 'round. But forgive my insolence. Is just a doubt in my mind.

Necromancy is not a force that can be dabbled in. Regardless of the intentions behind why someone studies necromancy, its very study warps the spirit and influences the mind. Many are the necromancers that took up the study for a noble cause to protect their love ones, or prevent an invasion, or whatever their need may be. Studying the effects of necromancy is one thing, it teaches us how to best combat such threats, but invoking Chaos for any reason, causes actual and tangible harm. You simply cannot cut a hole in the natural weave of things, which is what you do to invoke chaos, without having it release ambient chaos into the word. This is how undead are created without direct spell castings, and can often be a source of devistating storms, unseasonably cold winters (fae tampering excluded) and a variety of other harmful effects.

It is well known that I and Khale do not often see exactly eye to eye, but in this case his judgement is sound. Tampering with the powers of chaos cannot be tolerated, reguardless of intention, or position of the offender.

Back