Good Friends of Wayside!

There is a great deal of difference between a chaotician and a necromancer.
A chaotician is one who studies the magisterium plan of chaos and how it counterbalances the plane of order. It has nothing to do with undead or the creation of.
Necromancy however is the creation and controlling of undead through all means.

for any who would think of objecting to togashin's w claim know first that he is right. and secondly should any of you need help understanding just exactly why the winters are harsh and undead roam free then come and ask me. for the answers are stark and there for all to see.

and togashin im glad that yours studies at my keep have paid off.

Okay, so if I hear Lurin straight, it is that study of the effects of necromancy is alright, but how do you suppose you get the necromancy to study its effect unless it were in some way encouraged? How do you suppose "destroy undead" magics were created without "create undead" magics?

That being the first reasonably bright thing you have ever mentioned in my prescence.

I have no intention on "dancing" with you Blacklight. I have duties that must take me through Briarpass from time to time... if you avoid me, I shall avoid you. We need no further incidents between our two orders.

I'm to investigate what someone mentioned was a "naturally occuring" earth circle which someone was using to create undead. If possible purify it for use for the betterment of the peoples of wayside, if nessecary, I shall destroy the circle. Surely, you can see that involves no need for chaos spells, and no need for further violence. or should I come with a ring of Horatian Guards to defend me from the populace of Briarpass?

Regards,

Simeon Rice

Marcena said:
Okay, so if I hear Lurin straight, it is that study of the effects of necromancy is alright, but how do you suppose you get the necromancy to study its effect unless it were in some way encouraged? How do you suppose "destroy undead" magics were created without "create undead" magics?

Chaos is caused by imbalance in the natural order, the weave of the world, and occurs from a variety of sources generally resulting from attempts/forces that interfere with the natural progression of life and death. When you hear a scholar incant to destroy an undead, he is not actually weilding a destructive force, instead he or she is mere stripping out the animating forces of chaos that have animated what should be a body returning to the earth, or a greater circle, depending on the spirit's strength.

Your understanding of chaos is faulty, which is not uncommon by your layperson. There are plenty of sources of chaos that occur 'naturally', the man who saves his lover from her death after a vision, the farmer that infuses the energy of the earth to grow heartier crops, and in doing so weakens the natural weave in a differnt location. Undead are created when the ambient chaos from a thousand small events pools in sufficent quanities to override the natural order. The create undead spell was never truely 'researched' instead it is a simple modification of the process to strip away the chaos within an undead. Indeed it is far easier to infuse chaos into a dead body then to remove it. Chaotic forces are always seeking an easy pathway to inhabit, which makes a crude infusion of such forces simple compared to the precision required to stip then away.

Studying to do good does NOT require increasing or recreating the problem to 'study it better' We do not flood towns to learn to build better damns. Healers did not stab people to test the development of Cure Mortal Wounds. No amount of good works can balance even a small amount of evil, and no act of an evil nature can ever be truely 'contained' or prepared. Those that use such methods may see in their own minds eye that this is the quickest, or best, path to do good, but they are to the man, or woman, incorrect in the direst way.

Lurin

As i belive i explained, being a chaotician is the study of and not the use of, Lurin.

Lurin and I do not see eye to eye as it's commonly known.He does however bring up good points.

the Study of chaos isnt alright...I ask you.. what has changed in the way magic works. can any of you including the elves remember when magic changed so much that vast sweeping studies needed to be completed to find out why something was doing what it was.

when was the last time a destroy undead didnt what it was intended to do
when was the last time a healing spell didnt wound an undead?

what more study needs to be done.. do those spells work?...are you developing new spells to work better?.. if you are why are adventurers not casting those spells and testing them.. we're all willing to be guinea pigs if it means destroying undead faster or more efficient

Simeon Rice says he studies Chaos and such.. even if he studied the political workings please provide legitimate findings on how undead work...perhaps an action, a statement will cause them to become weaker or less organized. point me into the direction of anything you've found that will work to help overcome organized or even unorganized undead not just baseless theories

do you only investigate odd ball happenings in nature regarding chaos be that Nodes, natural circles of power, corrupted circles of power?.. even if that is the case I ask what findings have you found to cause these.. is it increased levels of chaos usage in the land.. is it more portal to the plane of chaos..

how do we as adventurers resolve this matter, if your sanctioned on some level by the ruling majority what common actions can be taken to shut down, close, stop, halt, desist, end any of these occurrences?

My guess is that Mister Rice wont be able to deliver to me any responsible answer as to any new insight into the inner workings of the chaos plane.

I fear that if the common trend of blind ignorance continues here with chaos being accepted so long as it's a "Study" then I too will have to take up learning.. this time the subject will be Purification by Violence.

Sir Blacklight

Khale,

Why are you so set on settling things with violence?

Togashin said:
As i belive i explained, being a chaotician is the study of and not the use of, Lurin.

Yes Togashin,

I heard your words. The discussion however has continued as it seems Khale believes that not to be correct. Futhermore I would like to know more about what is defined as the line between 'study' and use of chaos. I would also like to understand more about the title of 'Sanctioned Chaotician'. The being said, I've made no specific claim as to the guilt, or innocence, of anyone. I have only addressed the discussion about what is, and is not, acceptable study, and the potential invoking of chaos for the purpose of learning is not acceptable.

I cannot speak intelligently yet as to wether or not there has been such study in Wayside, but Khales words have sufficent weight that it is something the Order is honor bound to look into at the very least.

Lurin

Except it is not up to you to decide if it's acceptable or not.

Indeed my deliverables are not for your perusal. Youve already proven your skills lie in more direct actions against undead hordes... These skills not ones to be triffled with or disrespected. Indeed I find myself your inferior in battle and should not wish to be the creature that sets my sights upon the likes of you.

You ask what this research entails, seperating myth from fact, Asking the question... why? decoding the how? and in a more practical tone predicting the When? These are important endeavors to be catalogued. For example, what sort of event led to the occurance of a powerfull 9th Tier spell sudenly apearing and disapearing in all the grimoirs of Wayside? Did anyone else consider the potential chaotic implecations?

If anyone desires further knowledge on the research being done by the earth guild, please contact Journeymen Zanabanath and Earthweaver.

Regards,

Master Rice

Acceptable or not?

fine, you provide any level of evidence that shows a further continuation in the area of advancement of removing chaos, stopping necromancers, harming undead or necromancers anything that will provide any documention that will aid in the creating, casting, invoking, dealing with or furtherance of chaos and I'll ease up a little but again it boils down to

Destroy Undead, Healing spells are currently the best battle magic means of destroying undead. additives spells not counting

You ask why do I prefer Violence as the answer ?

my answer is simple.. there is a beginning and there is an end. the solution is at the end of a weapon. If some one is evil and I'm not talking greedy or mean but Lich, chaos casting evil voilence be it from a weapon or spell will end their cycle. there is a definitive end to all creatures. If you weaken a spirit so much they will not be able to come back. that is why Violence is the answer

Violence is black and white.. there is no "I'm a licensed chaostician" or "I only study undead" or any of the nonsensical middle ground. you choose a side you stand on your side and you die for your side. Dont walk the fence... Fence walkers are weak and should be culled from the heard.

I was refering to the violence you seem to always take towards other adventures.

Is there nye respect for what may be more complex than that? Who are you to deem who be and be nye fit to live within the confines of law and decency? Exclude the perfidious liches and the like. Beware, my friend please! You too much delve into violent solutions that I fear you shall inevitably find yourself at the losing end no matter what thy cause be!

May Love And Good Fortune Your Way Come For Always,

~Marcena Cenkraea "The Dove" DagonGaddi

Togashin,

it's not just adventurers...I've not a predisposition to those I would put my sword into their neck of.

Marcena I've yet to hear a real answer that would give me pause to reconsider why being sanctioned or not is acceptable.

I ask this,

When is it acceptable to cast chaos.. when has Simeon rice had to cast chaos to further his theories and informational understanding?. Is it up to him to decide when to make that decision.. and if it is who controls the volume of chaos used.. is it just a cause light wounds here and there or is it a cause mortal wounds..Chaos is an addictive force I fear and once you've been smitten by the power it offers is there really a turning back point?
I dont believe there is. The feeling that you can quelch the spirit of another I fear is too strong once you've tasted it.

Jorundr said:
it's not just adventurers...I've not a predisposition to those I would put my sword into their neck of.

Don't think i have forgoten the story of you cutting down my sister with no prof of any wrong doing.

Jorundr said:
The feeling that you can quelch the spirit of another I fear is too strong once you've tasted it.

You would admit to knowing better than most, I see. It makes me afraid for you, sir. Especially since you tamper in the lives of other adventurers. Otherwise, I concede here.

Marcena,

Power corrupts... absolute power corrupts absolutely. Chaos magic is a doorway to easy power with almost immediate results. Once you've blurred the line is there going back? that is my intent on the comment not from any previous experience on my own.

Togashin,
If you feel you need to extract some level of vengeance then who am I to stop you please seek me out should you have a debt you'd like to take up. I'm always happy to oblige.

I think it best that you both just continue to vilify me and my actions it's a safer world for you to off handedly dismiss a Necromancer and condone his actions then read my words further.

I was using that as a example as to how you jump to using violence first and seem to always condone it.

I do always authorize violence... its the easiest way to get things accomplished and questions answered. I make no pretense that I am moral in my actions simply that others seem to drag their feet or do nothing at all when men to step up and do work.

Back