Gypsy accents

I went out as an NPC barbarian shaman with a skull painted on his face, with a red band across the eyes. It got some reactions, but I guess it was distinct enough from the usual undead makeup that nobody attacked me on sight. It was well short of the size of my face, and I made sure it had sharply defined lines. I had a few people ask what it was they saw, and I said a guy wearing face paint like this. I think just strolling into town will get you a different reaction than if you're prowling around the woods looking like that.

Would it still serve the character concept if it were more stylized than realistic facial makeup? Instead of making something skull-shaped, a white band of paint across the brow above the eyes, and some white sections below them. You could add some color on the sides of the eyes and the nose -- with some color it's more gypsy-like and also less undead-like. I think red or gold would look pretty cool there. Splash some color (or white) on the chin with some black lines to symbolize teeth, and I think you'd look pretty wicked without being too mistakable for undead.

The easiest way to get around the Skull problem is arrive In-Game "as normal", make a few acquaintances, and then make a big Voodoo show of donning the war-paint. Create a fetishized ritual where you call to Earth Spirits and Elementals and do up your whole-nine - other PCs will see your character is just painting his face and will realize that you're neither undead nor Necromantic (though, they might roll you anyway just 'in case')

Lol! John R. Greenwood of SoCal, you are reading my mind. Though I would only do this little ritual in front of my gypsy family... :)

This was actually what I was going to suggest before you so rudely read my mind... damn Biata/Stone Elf!

As for the gypsy colored skull on the face... that was actually a great idea. Instead of me using white as a base, I was thinking of using black, with gold highlights and maybe a flash of white to contrast the look.

p.richard said:
Lol! John R. Greenwood of SoCal, you are reading my mind. Though I would only do this little ritual in front of my gypsy family... :)

This was actually what I was going to suggest before you so rudely read my mind... damn Biata/Stone Elf!

As for the gypsy colored skull on the face... that was actually a great idea. Instead of me using white as a base, I was thinking of using black, with gold highlights and maybe a flash of white to contrast the look.

I'd go bolder colors than that. Many of the undead are white or black. A purple and gold skull will be far less likely to cause issues.

My personal bigger concern is the voodoo/voudoun references. I know at least one Alliance player who practices Voodoo as a religion. I wouldn't want to offend anyone who is a practitioner of that faith (or any faith) accidentally.

I would recommend also checking with the plot team of the chapter that will support your gypsy to ensure the concept and accent are acceptable for the chapter's race packet.

I have been told that a stressed New Yorker accent, Italian Mafia accent, and even a Liverpool accent are all considered too "new" and was encouraged to use an accent that is more akin to one of the stereo-types (i.e. Romanian, Irish, Welsh, Russian, etc.) based on the Race Packet.

Too "new" [blink blink]. An Irish, Russian, and Welsh accent is copacetic ¿but Italian is out? And you let them get away with that?

Back