Gypsy Curse

-

Last edited:
I liken role playing games to dating. Dating is primarily a social endeavor, but if the date doesn't include a little action (meant as activity, though the more crude interpretation also can potentially apply), usually it won't be considered successful.

-MS

To be honest, I feel our combative system is extremely weak in terms of roleplay immersion, so I attribute "roleplay effects" to -generally- exist outside of combative situations

I agree that this is the function of "roleplay effects". Not to put too fine of a point on it, but if roleplay effects are considered "weak", I would propose it's likely that the roleplay is weak, moreso than the effect.

This seems like a combat game with role-playing, not a role-playing game with combat.
I think it's fair to suggest that delineating roleplay-only as "weak" is definitely an reflection of the participant culture (on both sides of the fence), and that may very well be driven heavily by how the rules themselves are written. How would you suggest that the game be reworked to encourage roleplay over mechanic such that "roleplay-only" was a phrase that brought about anticipation/trepidation more than "He swings for Massive"?

That phrase already brings more trepidation than 'He swings for massive' to me, because swinging for massive can't stick me with roleplaying something I am blatantly uncomfortable with or not playing, something RP effects like Gypsy Curse, Love/Love 9, or the assorted Fae curses can pull off. At least Gypsy Curse has a built in 'no' for the really abusive moments.

Independent from the GC issue is the general conversation about should we spend build on skills that don't influence combat? Read/Write, for example, is guilty of being an exception to behaviors of build-bought skills in part because it has absolutely no impact on combat. Does it feel right to have a system which puts so much emphasis on spending build for combat prowess and ONLY for combat prowess but not exclusively so?

I think that's worth spinning off for discussion, however there is no longer a place to have that discussion here.

Back