Hello

TieflingRogue said:
Ok. Sounds good. Yeah I have some aspirations to try and create/run my own LARP with all the coolness of the boffer larp costumes but no need of boffer weapons. I do like boffer weapons, its just most of the people I know don't. They don't like it already when long combats take time away from RP in WoD larps so I don't see them liking the idea of being thawked with weapons. I'm still pretty set on a tiefling like PC. Now I'm curious, is the problem it's origin or it's appearance? I do have some other concepts that would work. I am an avid lover of black cats and wolves so that fits the scavenger race, I bet a lizardman type would fit that too? Or a Snake-person like a Yaun-ti? I love Gargoyles as well but I bet that's a monster race. So what rulebook is used and where can I find it should I decide to purchase it?

Our combat is pretty much the antithesis of WoD combat. What takes half an hour in that system takes thirty seconds for us. :) The main problem with the tiefling is that it is a demonic hybrid, and demons just plain don't exist in this game. You might want to read up on the Mystic Wood Elves, though, they have quite a bit in common with the standard Tiefling as I recall.
Cats are doable, they're an ingame race called Sarr. Fun to play, and the makeup is a blast. Same with wolves, lizards, and snakes, they're all Scavengers, and work pretty nicely.

TieflingRogue said:
Ok. Sounds good. Yeah I have some aspirations to try and create/run my own LARP with all the coolness of the boffer larp costumes but no need of boffer weapons. I do like boffer weapons, its just most of the people I know don't. They don't like it already when long combats take time away from RP in WoD larps so I don't see them liking the idea of being thawked with weapons. I'm still pretty set on a tiefling like PC. Now I'm curious, is the problem it's origin or it's appearance? I do have some other concepts that would work. I am an avid lover of black cats and wolves so that fits the scavenger race, I bet a lizardman type would fit that too? Or a Snake-person like a Yaun-ti? I love Gargoyles as well but I bet that's a monster race. So what rulebook is used and where can I find it should I decide to purchase it?

The problem is the orign. If you want to make a character that looks similar to a tiefling you could be a black goat scavanger... And yes, a black cat would be part of the Sarr race (hunting cat race); wolf, lizard, and snake scavangers are actually more common then other types of scavangers (although we do get some interesting ones every now and then such as Zebra scavanger, squirrel scavanger, etc.).

And you are right that a Gargoyle is a monster race, but there is currently Ritual Magic that would allow a powerful Celestial caster to create a Gargoyle construct and then store their spirit into the Gargoyle, effectively becoming the Gargoyle. For more information on that I would have to say "Find out in game" though. :D

As for the rulebook: http://www.alliancelarp.com/books.php

As has been said before, if you just want to test the game before buying you are free to try NPCing. That is a great way to learn the game and there are often rulebooks around for you to look at during downtime.

Well combat in WoD takes so long because of things like retests and such. The newer WoD, requiem does not take anywhere near as long. Maybe I'd use that for a LARP system, and use cards. The system used in the Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel RPG is pretty good too. I know a guy running a LARP of it and he says combat is easy and fast and fun too! The only problem is the White Hats are getting owned by the bad guy PCs who are of course, Vampires and other supernaturals. :lol:

Yeah cat or wolf people sound interesting. I wouldn't want to look like a furry though. No giant animal mascot head. :p

Hmm I just saw the book is 20 bucks + 5 for shipping and handling, that's 25 bucks and is NOT cheap. Cheaper than a D&D book yes but still not that cheap when one has gas, food and other bills. Is there a PDF of the book that might be cheaper? Maybe it's on Amazon.com or something?

TieflingRogue said:
Hmm I just saw the book is 20 bucks + 5 for shipping and handling, that's 25 bucks and is NOT cheap. Cheaper than a D&D book yes but still not that cheap when one has gas, food and other bills. Is there a PDF of the book that might be cheaper? Maybe it's on Amazon.com or something?

Yeah, PDF has been requested, but not produced. And I just checked Amazon and couldn't find it the Rulebook. Someone else might have better luck, though.

TieflingRogue said:
Yeah cat or wolf people sound interesting. I wouldn't want to look like a furry though. No giant animal mascot head. :p

The idea with our scavengers is to make them as realistic as possible. The closest to looking like a furry is people who choose to wear ears on top of their heads. The rest is done with make-up and prosthetics. Check out the photo page to see what our scavengers (and other races) tend to look like.
My sig has 4 animal-based characters that I play. The chibi avatars are cute, but my prostetics for them are dead serious.

---Mike E.

Alavatar said:
TieflingRogue said:

Yeah, PDF has been requested, but not produced. And I just checked Amazon and couldn't find it the Rulebook. Someone else might have better luck, though.

The next book will be in a text e-book (not PDF -- too huge with all the pictures) as well as paperback. The current book on Amazon.com is here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... &x=21&y=15

Fearless Leader said:
Alavatar said:
TieflingRogue said:

The next book will be in a text e-book (not PDF -- too huge with all the pictures) as well as paperback. The current book on Amazon.com is here:
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_gw?ur ... &x=21&y=15

Thanks. Their price is much cheaper.

markusdark said:
I'm not 100% familiar with eBooks - can they be read by Adobe Acrobat or will you need to buy the $350 ebook reader from Amazon (The Kindle)?

You can buy an e-book in almost any format: Word, rtf, whatever.

Amazon's Kindle is something different.

Just for the record, "Arch Enemies" is available in any of these formats! :D

So with the Nero book would I be able to run my own LARP the way I saw fit?

TieflingRogue said:
So with the Nero book would I be able to run my own LARP the way I saw fit?

Well first off, this is not NERO, this is Alliance - NERO's grown up lil brother. ;)

Second, 'the way I saw fit' is a bit of a wide area there. Do you mean invent your own land with people, places and things to do in it? Then yes. Chapters are encouraged to invent new countried within the world of Fortannis.

Do you mean create new races, spells and so on? No. NERO 'allows' more chapter specific things to happen as their structure is a bit looser (which causes issues with multiple chapters) but overall both NERO and Alliance need to keep the same ruleset the same so that people who go from chapter to chapter will understand what is up.

Or, if you mean "I could invite my friends over on the weekends and we could play on our own and not have our characters tracked in the Alliance database or have them be playable in the Alliance campaign chapters?" Yes, no one could stop you from doing that.

Maxondaerth said:
Or, if you mean "I could invite my friends over on the weekends and we could play on our own and not have our characters tracked in the Alliance database or have them be playable in the Alliance campaign chapters?" Yes, no one could stop you from doing that.

How do I know Alliance Death Squads won't show up? :lol:

Yes. That is what I meant though. I favor small troupe games. For instance I hate OWBN or the Camarilla for Vampire. I won't play in those. I liked playing in smaller games. That is not to say I would hate Alliance but my preference is for troupe games vs some large organization.

If your not charging money they wont. I know this for a fact, you are just playing an in-house game at that point if you do that.

No one I know would pay money for anything. However I am lucky in that I have some ins with Davis Campus just because of people I know. My group has been LARPing there for a while and they (Davis Campus) actually likes us; we deter scumbags from vandalizing the place or other, worse activities. So I'd have a place to play at least for free. The Davis Campus Arboretum would make a great place for a fantasy LARP forest but they have a large concrete sort of maze like structure the locals call "The Death Star", and it works great for a sort of castle. So I wouldn't need to charge anyone anything at all.

I would say that if you didn't charge for it AND included a link to the San Francisco chapter of Alliance, it should be fine. However, do realize that they would NOT be able to earn XP, treasure, etc. for their characters at your 'home game' if they also wished to play those characters in the SF game.

And, like I said, check out the website at alliancesf.net - I believe that there are a couple of people who do come down from the Davis area to play.

Why would I need to include a link to the SF alliance out of curiosity? Isn't NERO just a system? Even if it's not and it's more like Vampire the Maquerade in that it's a system and a setting, I don't see why my local game has to be connected to a huge organization game. Or is it just a courtesy thing? I know we had links to White Wolf for our LARP sites.

TieflingRogue said:
Why would I need to include a link to the SF alliance out of curiosity? Isn't NERO just a system? Even if it's not and it's more like Vampire the Maquerade in that it's a system and a setting, I don't see why my local game has to be connected to a huge organization game. Or is it just a courtesy thing? I know we had links to White Wolf for our LARP sites.

Oh, I meant it as a curteous thing. I mean, someone may want to see what a larger scale game is like, or one of the weekend events where you LARP from Friday morning to Sunday afternoon. Who knows, you might even wind up creating a company of adventurers that could pool their resources and come down to the weekend events. Sorry, not meaning to keep on pushing the attending thing but with more people involved, your options begin to open up. You could also just come down an NPC - wher eyou get in for free and get to try out the system.

And, try to call it "Alliance". We want to differentiate ourselves from them as much as possible. Besides, the NERO chapter in our area (not the Alliance one) will be closing down for a while after this weekend. THey've been doing it for 10 years and felt that it was time for a break.

Back