Hello

So would I be able to use the NERO rule and then make my own game and call it something cool like "Alliance?" I'd probably just give the game a name like someone's D&D campaign and have it under "Tiefling Rogue productions" or something like that. :p I'll give your guys game a looksee if I can wing it but no promises. The animal people sound cool as did the Drae. Is a Ninja like drow possible? (With their sneakyness and like of darkness and shadow it seems a logical combo.)

Although the rulebook still says Nero on the front a new one should be coming out soon with the correct name. The current name of the game system that we all play and that Rulebook spells out is "Alliance". Hence, why if you wanted to mention the organization that runs a much larger system it would be nice if you refer to us as "Alliance LARP".

Anyways if you just want to have fun on your own, do whatever, the Alliance rules are really cool! But like other folks have said if you did make the opportunity to try out a "official" game I think you might really like it. ;)

I'll try to make it to an official one I just dont know if I will. If others are in my area to go with me that would be cool. I'd want to take the gf with me but she doesn't have as much free time as I do.

To make your game an official chapter is a whole lot more work than you probably realize. Alliance is a grand-scale larp with costuming, props, and an entire set of databases and tracking systems used for play. It involves a good bit of money to set up and is pretty much a second job.

However if you just want to use the rules to play with friends, so long as you're not charging admission or advertising yourself as a chapter it shouldn't be a problem.

Be aware though, it's not "just a system" of rules like DnD or Vampire. The rulebook you can buy is not a stand-alone game - it's what a person needs to be able to play the full scale game. There are monster databases and other materials that are not released to the public. To put it in DnD terms - to run a game you need the DM guide, Monster Manual and PHB right? Well, the Alliance rulebook is basically the equivalent to the DnD Player's Handbook. It will tell you all the rules and background you'll need as a PLAYER, but not as an owner or monster master.

As somebody here suggested (was it Mark? I forget...) if you are thinking of building your own system, get a bunch of books from several LARPs and other RPGs and use it as a base to build your game the way you want. Nobody reinvents the wheel anymore.

And based on the words you're using, you're definitely crossing games - NERO uses Drae... Alliance does not. You're welcome to check out both games... and any others that you find out there. There's a flavor of LARP for almost everybody. But DO please recognize that NERO and Alliance are NOT the same game, though they share the same ancestry.

If Alliance does not use Drae then why am I seeing pictures of them around and why are people discussing them? I know I've seen a topic with people talking about Drae. So it sounds like NERO is the generic rules but Alliance is more specific setting?

Allliance has black skinned elves.

They are not called Drae.

They are called Dark Elves.

NERO and Alliance are two different games.

There is a link explaining why here: http://alliancelarp.com/break.php

This Joe person sounds like an ***. Fine so it seems Nero and Alliance are seperate from one another but are they both different rules to run a LARP or are they a setting as well? I mean for D&D you have the PHB, DMG and Monster Manual but there is no set world. The worlds like FR, Eberron, Ravenloft and others are purchased seperate from the core books.

NERO and Alliance rules share the same roots, but they have evolved into very different and separate systems at this point. So you might see some of the names of spells are still the same, and the basic style of combat I think is pretty much the same, but there are classes we have that they don't, they have some skills and spells that we do not, etc. The systems are not interchangeable, and a character cannot transfer from NERO into Alliance or vice versa. A person can play both games if they like but you must have separate characters in each game.

Alliance uses a land called Fortannis, but each chapter has its own lands with different settings. These continents are separated by a magical mist that will allow individuals or small groups to travel to and from various lands (so players can play at any chapter they like, but you won't see inter-chapter wars because no huge armies can get through).

For example, the HQ campaign is based in a kingdom called Icenia, which of course is surrounded by other countries - some allies, some enemies. The Connecticut campaign is set in Caldaria, Ohio is Vandlar etc. The plot committees of each chapter can create a world for their players within Fortannis, but all use the same rules. One chapter might have its home kingdom set in a sea-faring kingdom. Another might be set in a desert; yet another could be recovering from a devastating war and be almost post-apocalyptic. The plot teams can be creative in building these worlds, but they are all connected.

Hope that helps paint a clearer picture of the style of game we use.

I used to live in Sandiego California. And now have since moved back to Massachusetts. I remembe rI used to be in contact with this group a while back during the big mess with the NERO name. And see that this group has moved on in a more positive way. Which makes me smile. Now that I am back here.. I was looking to possibly get involved with the Alliance. If there is still a chapter here in Mass. :twisted:

LordArtimus said:
I used to live in Sandiego California. And now have since moved back to Massachusetts. I remembe rI used to be in contact with this group a while back during the big mess with the NERO name. And see that this group has moved on in a more positive way. Which makes me smile. Now that I am back here.. I was looking to possibly get involved with the Alliance. If there is still a chapter here in Mass. :twisted:

The old MA chapter is, I believe, what the Ashbury chapter (HQ chapter in PA) is now. It left MA before I started playing back in '99. The current MA chapter is now the CT chapter, but I believe they still use a site in MA. They'll have to chime in on that one to verify since I haven't been "up north" in quite some time.

Think of Alliance as being one of the "children" of the original NERO. There's quite a few of them- folks took the original game and in many ways ran with it, against it, or in completely different directions that only a historian could untangle. :lol:

That being said, nobody's going to jump on you for taking the rules and modifying them- but that wouldn't be an "Alliance" game, any more than a WoD game with the Brujah replaced by giant vegetable-draining bunnies would be official, or Alliance games would be considered "NERO" any more (not that I think they'd want to be at this point!). It's been done many, many times to varying levels of success.

The CT chapter will be at a new site in CT next year! =)

Back