In Game Economy

tieran said:
Wraith said:
The idea of NPC's dropping random loot as opposed to things they might want to use or coin is pretty silly to begin with. :D

Oh, I agree.

But I know that most of the time after I have spent the day rampaging across the countryside or storming keeps I commonly have the oddest collection (one might even say random) of treasure in my pocket. Even some stuff I don't use.

Generally because those fellows in the guard tower for some odd reason had six silvered bows, a half dozen bolts, and an oil of slipperiness in their pockets. :lol:

tieran said:
My only (for now) problem with that is that by refusing to drop a category of items as treasure and making those items needed or having those items be needed the chapter in question is forcing the players to play a game that they may not want to.

You may want to play a game which relies heavily upon you spending a bunch of build on a production skill, someone else may not.

And honestly, this is another one of those changes which only hurts the people who don't have piles upon piles upon piles (seriously, I've given up hope of even being able to trade it all in for coin) of production sitting around.

The people who already have the production don't need it and the people who don't have it are only hurt by not having it available as treasure and being forced to buy it.

The forced to buy it thing is funny because where else should they get something they want?

And if they can't afford it? Every game i've played, if a newer/smaller player is lacking in something, the older players usually step in and help them out. If they aren't helping the younger ones in your chapter, send 'em to jersey or ohio where I've seen and been on the receiving end of the older players generosity. Even though I am a lower level character I almost always give money/treasure to whoever is newer than I am and needs the help.

It's just like you may want to play a game which relies heavily upon you spending a bunch of build on weapons skills, but someone else may not.

The only change this would have on the game is giving those of us who do want to play production characters more of a purpose.

A lot of the times those of us who are not fighters and are on the back lines keeping them alive don't get any treasure from kills or compensation from the fighters. This is another way to help even out the build field. Sure the fighters protect us, but lets see them stay alive without healing/rushing in to drag them away from the fight to feed them an elixir and find them healing.

I can't see how it would hurt people who didn't have the production. Since it would still be available from the PC productionists/NPC merchants if there were no productionists around and both ways would feed more coin into the chapter since the NPC's would get it directly and the PC's would pay for their production.

The thing about Alliance is that it is meant to be an RP with fighting, not the other way around. There are many times when I see people getting upset about people who want to do more RP than fighting. This makes no sense to me.

Personally, I don't have piles and piles of stuff lying around, but I'd love to see less production as treasure and have to seek out the PC herbalist or alchemist and do a bit of RP to get the things I want/need. Economy aside, thats just fun gaming and why I'm here and not at the SCA.

Funny how the economy thread rolled back around to the Productionist thread. I didn't even do it :D

Ash said:
The forced to buy it thing is funny because where else should they get something they want?

From that monster they just killed?

Ash said:
A lot of the times those of us who are not fighters and are on the back lines keeping them alive don't get any treasure from kills or compensation from the fighters.

Then stop helping them.

Or search them before you fix them up.

The answer is an auction, not sure why everyone here wants to complicate the idea, but that seems what happens on these boards. PCs get to spend coin on stuff they want, and the chapter gets coin back.....simple, and everyone is happy.

Don't forget, before you talk about removing production stuff from weekend treasure, is that coin and magic items will replace it to keep treasure policy correct.

Plus, sometimes cool, plot related stuff can go out as production items... what better way to introduce those neat LCO gasses/alchemy/scrolls that your Masters can make than by sending out a few to piqué interest.

Well, coin will replace it. MIs are under a different system as far as how much goes out.

Well, they are and they aren't. Some magic items come out of the coin policy, others come out of the scroll and component policy.

The economy packets used by Ohio(?), Jersey, and Seattle are interesting... you'll almost never earn back your coin, but you will get cool plot. The issue there is just that it gives plot more that they need to support. I'm looking at a way to integrate something similar to what I've seen into Oregon's system, but we're still sussing out the details.

The issue I've seen with auctions is that in times past, players have turned in coin for tags of whatnot as an effort to help the chapter not have to buy more coin. By the time the auction rolled around, the people with those tags, understandably, wanted to use them for the auction, which meant no coin coming in.

Paying "loose" or "training" would help, but it's worth mentioning that NERO's treasure policy accounts for that and is 50% higher than Alliance's. We'd need to ensure that we did not follow suit in that regard either.

What about the idea of turning in coin for gobbies at an increased rate of exchange? i.e. turn a copper for 2 gobbies (silver for 20, gold for 200). You'd never be able to get more than one gold per event out of the investment, so really you're making it possible for players to buy LCO magic items (if you offer that) and blanket events you miss. It won't break the bank, removes coin from the environment, and doesn't really put more into the economy than it took out. (Sure, you can game the system and turn 1 silver into 1 gold plus 20 gobbies in five events. Go you?)

jpariury said:
The economy packets used by Ohio(?), Jersey, and Seattle are interesting... you'll almost never earn back your coin, but you will get cool plot. The issue there is just that it gives plot more that they need to support. I'm looking at a way to integrate something similar to what I've seen into Oregon's system, but we're still sussing out the details.

Could you elaborate on Oregon's system? I'd love to hear what they're doing differently that might be able to integrate into other systems.

jpariury said:
What about the idea of turning in coin for gobbies at an increased rate of exchange? i.e. turn a copper for 2 gobbies (silver for 20, gold for 200). You'd never be able to get more than one gold per event out of the investment, so really you're making it possible for players to buy LCO magic items (if you offer that) and blanket events you miss. It won't break the bank, removes coin from the environment, and doesn't really put more into the economy than it took out. (Sure, you can game the system and turn 1 silver into 1 gold plus 20 gobbies in five events. Go you?)

This is a good idea, or something quite like it. It would have to be tweaked. Even a one for one exchange would work well and take care of that problem. Also the merchant items seem like a great idea. Sending more of those stuff out would make it so you didn't have to drop as much coin and would probably be way cheaper oog.

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
An auction does not help a chapter that does not want to put out lots of magical items.

Who's to say you have to auction off magic items? I would bid on stuff that can't be made.

Back in the day I played Ultima Online (before ever crack). People would use there gold to purchase houses and use it as a storage area. They would also show off the rare and unusual items.

I have to agree with removing PP to be handed out as treasure. If your chapter doesn't have some one with the skill (they will soon), like others mentioned have a few npcs come out selling pp items. It won't hurt others that are selling them because there are none. It fulfills the need for the people looking for that while it ignores those that don't want it.

The problem I see with coin = goblins is that a definitive price has been set on LCO rituals. If the chapter accordingly adjusts the goblin cost of the scrolls for this, s'all cool.

Ash said:
Could you elaborate on Oregon's system? I'd love to hear what they're doing differently that might be able to integrate into other systems.
Nothing's overly solid right now, as I'm still working out the details, while cludging together our race packets, player handbook, event stuff, and a couple other odds and ends (plus, you know, dealing with real life :) ). My goal is to allow ships/caravans/etc. be usable in both Seattle and Oregon (we get lots of cross-traffic) so the general tag and what you purchase for how much will likely be identical. As I've seen it used in Seattle, people show up to Logistics with their ship/caravan tag, a Plot person is pulled, and bead draws are done by the player there. If something "cool" should come up, the Plot person has to come up with information on the fly for the player. The way I'd like to implement it in Oregon is that the bead draws are done by the plot team during our pre-event meeting, outside of player witnessing. They'd have to trust that the plot team is being fair, but it will allow our plot team to discuss with one another the best way to make a very mechanical and out-of-game process (bead draws) into a more story-related event. For instance, a player sends in a downtime-action submission saying "hey, between events, Bob is sending his ship (a Brig with 2 cannon and advanced rigging) down to the southern tip of the Crescent to scout for enemy ships. The ship is under orders to back off if they spot anything with significantly larger tunnage appears armed." During our plot meeting, we'd figure out the appropriate bead odds, do the draw, and then turn that result into a story which we relate back to the player prior to the event.

Two things that I don't like about the existent Seattle packet, though, is that by doing the bead draw in the player's presence, they become oog-aware of any oddities by virtue of how plot might manipulate the bead draw (by adding extra beads in one direction or another), and the explanation for the assorted rules may not necessarily make sense. For instance, the Seattle packet requires that the "mutiny" bead is never removable... we have a player whose ship is entirely crewed by other PCs, so how does that work? The packet I'm working out tries to make clear that the rules for ships (for instance) are simply guidelines that the plot team will use to construct their responses, and that agreeing to use the economics packet by no means guarantees any particular result or mix. If a player wants to send their ship unknowingly into waters that are rife with pirates and villains and krakens galore, I believe the more immersive experience would be to simply have them issue the orders and find out the results either as downtime information or, better yet, in-game when their crew starts showing up in the circle. If they decided they were personally captaining the ship, we can give them cool stories to bring them in-game with. The general themes should remain intact: buying weapons reduces the chance of piracy, buying rigging reduces wrecking, installing these things reduces tunnage and the amount of profit you can expect to garner. But I don't know that there should ever be a guarantee that these things will have a hard-coded degree of effect, and I want to make sure that we have the best possible opportunity to provide the players with interesting stories.

This is a good idea, or something quite like it. It would have to be tweaked. Even a one for one exchange would work well and take care of that problem.
I was thinking about that. 1 for 1 doesn't necessarily encourage trade-ins as much as I'd want, I think, and having a sliding scale for trading in coin in either direction means people will hoard one form of coin to trade for the more advantageous one. Maybe a different rate (1.5 to 1, maybe?), but the general idea of getting more gobbies for your coin than the coin itself is worth could be good. The only issue I see there is that it might impact people from making donations... I dunno. Just spitballing here, more than anything.

Gilwing said:
Who's to say you have to auction off magic items? I would bid on stuff that can't be made.

Back in the day I played Ultima Online (before ever crack). People would use there gold to purchase houses and use it as a storage area. They would also show off the rare and unusual items.
The issue there is physrepping. Players (shockingly, I know) have this urge to want to use or show off the nifty things they buy. Selling someone a house means at some point they're gonna want to be at that house. Selling someone a ship means at some point, they're gonna want to sleep on that ship during the event. Some of it requires having understanding players and giving them attractive reasons not to do such things, but if you go to far overboard, you're going to run into issues. What do you do with the guy that "buys" 500 retainers and wants to overthrow the government?

Libras said:
The problem I see with coin = goblins is that a definitive price has been set on LCO rituals. If the chapter accordingly adjusts the goblin cost of the scrolls for this, s'all cool.
True, that's something that would need to be looked at.

I'm surprised nobody commented on the concept of "magic fuel" much at all.

Devaluation of coin (and production) has been a problem. Overproliferation of magic items has been part of the turn towards a component-based "economy" instead.

If feeding your magic habit meant needing a steady supply of coin each event you use them, a lot more coin would be going back into the game's coffers...and hence a lot more can go OUT as well if needed. The problem lies in that many things stagnate- people hoard coins, meaning less goes out as treasure. Plot puts out production (which hurts PC production) or MI's (which inflate the power level of the game) or tagged items (which are inevitably LCO, meaning non-transferrable wealth).

Heck, an Alliance PC doesn't have to spend so much as a copper to prevent starvation, which is nice- but it also means there's no real need to hand money back into the game in anything but the most modest amounts, unless you produce items. And that's a minority of the players, meaning more money inevitably goes out than in.

I don't know that the magic fuel idea would gain any ground. Limiting the amount you put in to game starts players whining about who has access to it easier, etc. and putting enough of it out to fuel everyone just makes the have-nots have even less.

Another way to do it is to sell oog stuff for in-game coin only. That's how PCs do it, I don't see why plot teams couldn't do the same. Bake brownies, make fudge, sell peppermint tea. Thing is, we need ways to bring in hundreds of tokens, not ways to extrude hundreds of credits.

Ready-made production going out as treasure devalues production skills, which directly decreases the amount of coin that a chapter can recoup each logistics.

If it were sent out as raw production (e.g. Rich Vellum: Scroll PP 50) more coin might come back in as players actually use it to produce things.

2cp in the pot

agreed...magic item fule is just another way to screw the PC over, plus there are better ways to make coin have value. Food and auction people its that simple. If you have food throughout the weekend, people will buy. Its not that hard to go to Costco or BJ's and get a bunch of food that players could donate for gobbies, then have your chapter tavern sell for coin the whole weekend. Plus have an auction, who says you have to auction off magic items, I have seen everything from rit scrolls to ships for sale at an auction.

Both methods make the PC and chapter happy.....again.......simple.

Octaine said:
agreed...magic item fule is just another way to screw the PC over, plus there are better ways to make coin have value. Food and auction people its that simple. If you have food throughout the weekend, people will buy. Its not that hard to go to Costco or BJ's and get a bunch of food that players could donate for gobbies, then have your chapter tavern sell for coin the whole weekend. Plus have an auction, who says you have to auction off magic items, I have seen everything from rit scrolls to ships for sale at an auction.

auction item 402:
Halves.jpg

This striking palomino is ready to carry you on your way.

SkollWolfrun said:
Octaine said:

auction item 402:
Halves.jpg

This striking palomino is ready to carry you on your way.
win_button.jpg

jpariury said:
Gilwing said:

The issue there is physrepping. Players (shockingly, I know) have this urge to want to use or show off the nifty things they buy. Selling someone a house means at some point they're gonna want to be at that house. Selling someone a ship means at some point, they're gonna want to sleep on that ship during the event. Some of it requires having understanding players and giving them attractive reasons not to do such things, but if you go to far overboard, you're going to run into issues. What do you do with the guy that "buys" 500 retainers and wants to overthrow the government?

You do the same as the guy that wants to create 10 Genhorns and an army of undead with all his create rit scrolls.

Back