In the tavern

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jinn's expression goes dark for a split second, but he shakes it of quickly. "Drink, mildly hate yourself, and be of questionable mental stability." He sighs and rubs his forehead before taking a long drink, finishing the entirety of his tankard. He looks over to the bartender, who nods and pours up another drink.

"I may seem like I am being overly dramatic... but there is no preparing for the horrors that will prey upon you when you arrive." His voice is an eerie calm. "Some of the denizens will try to tear you apart the moment you step out of the portal, others will stalk you in the dark and take you out when you least expect it. Others will control your mind, or body, making you attack and kill your friends and comrades." Jinn drops some silver on the tray as his fresh drink is handed to him.

"We have faces blood thirsty beasts, insects that will literally devour you, vampires, hordes of the undead, killer constructs... and I have spoken to the mother to all sylvanborn more than once... who also ritually sacrificed me, ripping my spirit from my body and feasting on my pain..." Breathing in sharply Jinn takes another long drink.

"I've watched those realms kill my friends, destroy who they are, and drive them away. The fact that anyone is even willing to follow me in surprises me every time, yet here we are. Two of them closed for eternity, never to bother us again." Jinn blinks quickly "So ya... not much preparing can be done."

As she listens to his words Romilda reaches into her pocket and pulls out a crudely made book and a writing implement. While still looking at Jinn while her talks she begins to write down scratch notes on a blank page.

"No strategy plan or anything... just run in full force and go for it?"

Looking down at her page quickly she writes down a few more words before flipping back and scratching some old notes out.

"... what were there names if you dont mind me asking?"

Her writing hand hovering above the page.

Calan listened to the exchange while drinking. At the last question he struggled to not snort his drink as he held back a laugh.
"Oh well you tell Jinn you’re prepared to go. If you’re an earth caster you will be more than welcome. We are often in short supply of them when we need to venture there. Aside from that well ... you’ll see?”

Jinn exhales slowly and half glares at the new comer.

"You obviously didn't listen to what I said. You asked what you could do to prepare... there isn't anything that could prepare YOU for what you would face. That is very different than coming up with a battle plan tailored to a specific realm. That requires days and nights of pouring over past reports, planning and meetings with those who have gone before. Coming up with plans A through Z, and knowing what to do if specific people fall in battle."

His gaze moves to Calan. "Don't be so quick to decide who is welcome... student"

Turning his head slowly he looks back to Romilda.

"I'll put this plainly. I don't know you, I don't trust you." His words come out even calmer than before, his face hardened. "As for their names, I do mind you asking. You appear out of no where, when one of our enemies has struck a terrible blow to the entire city, armed with letters and crests aimed at the two people who were guaranteed to not remember you. I have no reason to trust you, and your flippant attitude towards one of the greatest evils we have been fighting annoys me."

Anger starts to bubble up in his words, his eyes trained on his target. "If you want a story, go to a library. If you want notes, go read the reports. I am not here to astound anyone with the tales of pain and death I and those before me have suffered within the reaches. I spent thirty days planning my death withing Orcelions realm, knowing it was going to be the only way my team could escape. Knowing that she would only accept a sacrifice. I walked into that realm with a death potion clasped in my hand... and never got to use it. So I suggest you add a little respect to your next statement... or find a new tavern to drink in."

Last edited:
Kai watches the exchange between Romilda and Jinn. As he starts to get angry, she goes very very still. She can barely be seen to breathe, as if she is willing herself to simply stop existing. She could be a statue, or a rock, or a tree stump. Only her eyes move, flitting back and forth between the two sylvanborn, waiting.

".... I can now clearly see you do not trust me"

Closing the book and placing it on the table with the tool on top, Romilda takes up her drink again and leans back. Not in a way of relaxation but for distance.

"as for what you have told me I already meet 2 out of the 3 requirements for these dark reaches. I come here knowing only of the stories that spread and unfortunately from what I just heard those are not to be relied upon." Taking a moment to take a longer then needed sip, she gathers herself.

"As for the singular letter... I feel about half as confused as Rosanyia does by the looks of it. That reunion was meant to be much different then how it played out. And the crest.." Turning to Calan" I feel more confused then my friend out there by your reaction".

Looking down into her glass to squint at the bottom "And I am aware that there are stories in the library's and facts in reports, I prefer getting the information from the source when the opportunity arises. I see in doing so has made you upset and I do apologize for causing that rage in your eye. I ask for their names so that one day when the world reads back on what happens it will people they remember, not a number."

Standing up she grabs her still damp cloak and gives it a good shake before putting it on. Repacking her stuff she grabs her mug and knocks back the rest of her drink. " I do not wish to cause anymore trouble this night, I do humbly apologize" Giving a nod towards Jinn, hand over her heart before turning once again back towards Calan " and I would like to here some answers from you later"

Grabbing her soiled shirt from the table and flipping it over her shoulder she makes her way out of the tavern with a flick of her hand as a wave good bye.

Last edited:
“Well, that went well.” Calan takes a sip from his drink. Relief passing over him as the stranger leaves the table.

Kai starts to unfreeze just the smallest bit; you can again see that she's breathing. She's far from relaxed though, keeping her eyes on Jinn.

Jinns eyes follow Romilda until she has left the tavern, then returns to his drink, relaxing slightly.

"Even if she is who she says she is, I still do not trust her. I've run into those types before, they say they want to honor the dead, so they won't be forgotten. But all they are really doing is searching for a story. To them that's all that this is, story's. Something they can live vicariously through without actually being put in danger. Something they can write about in search for fame. No manners, no respect, to them it's just words on parchment."

After a moment passes Jinn looks over to Calan. "You have some explaining to do... not only to me it seems."

Calan nods “I don’t know about explain, but speculate, if they are who they seem to be then perhaps some explanation will be needed in time. But I’d just as soon not reopen old wounds if need be.”

Jinn nods, if they are actually who it seems they are I totally understand. They will be the one needing an explanation of who you are. Take your time, but do not wait to long. If you need me I will be there for you."

Jinn shudders as the hair on the back of his neck stands up. His eyes widen slightly and he looks around the tavern.

"That's an unpleasant feeling... it feels like something bad has happened... I hate the shivers."

Kai raises an eyebrow at Jinn. Despite the shivers, he seems to be calmer. She finishes her drink, and then says, "well, that is quite enough excitement for me for one day. Calan, when you head back to the library stop by and grab me. I'll be with the chickens, or in Evo's cabin." She gets up and walks to the door. Her gait seems a little off, as if every tensed muscle hasn't quite sounded the all-clear to relax yet. The door closes behind her with a gentle thump.

"I wonder if she knows that we can still see her, no matter how still she stays." Jinn says in a joking manner, his voice much lighter.

Calan nods to Jinn, then addresses Kai.
“ I won’t be too long I’m should be going as well I’m just going to stop by the house for some things.”

Calan empties his drink, clears up his space. Then addresses Jinn. “ I’m not too sure, but on that note. Things to do and all that. I’ll see you at the house latter ya.”
Calan then leaves the tavern eyes peeled for the newcomer.

"Yes, you do have much research to do, better get cracking. I feel like another walk is in order... have to shake this feeling of foreboding... I'll see you later"

Jinn finishes his drink and exits the tavern alongside Calan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back