Introductions

Well, hello.

I'm Lacey, and I'm pretty new to LARP in general. I'm looking forward to what I hope will be plenty of creative collaboration in a fun community.

I work as a CNA in oncology in Littleton, and happily anticipate bashing monsters that are a little easier to kill than cancer. :)

Welcome, Lacey! Ah, the trend of attraction for medical professionals to this game continues. I was kind of hoping that means that if I scrape my knees, I'll be in good hands, but gee whiz! Let's hope I don't come down with cancer during an event -- if so, I have a feeling I'll be in equally good hands with this crowd. :blink:

I share with you the advice given to me by the 6'8" orcish General Manager of my first LARP:

Know when to run!

Looking forward to meeting you along with everyone else,
Trace Moriarty

Hi, I'm Luke! My home is currently in Virginia and I'm currently deployed, but since I've been totally trolling your section of the boards, I figured I'd go ahead and introduce myself so that you all don't wonder too much about who I am and why I'm butting in to your business.

I've been into RPGs since I was about 8 and drew dungeon maps on graph paper for my brother's high school gaming group's D&D campaigns. My brother told me I could even join, once I had read this big stack of about 5 red-bound books...I just stuck to the dungeon doodles, instead. Anywho, I never really stopped liking RPGs. I used to watch him play all kinds of games on the computer and then got into computer RPGs, myself...eventually, I met other like-minded individuals in High School who introduced me to other non-D&D games (all of the World of Darkness games, Exalted, Shadowrun, Cyberpunk 2020). All this just made me want more, though. I was finally introduced to Amtgard and SCA a few years later, but I didn't like the politics so much. Finally, at the end of 2009, a co-worker of mine started talking about this LARPing thing, made a group of us watch Role Models, and got us geared up for my very first Alliance event. That was it. This was the pinnacle of my RPG infatuation...this was love :wub2: I played regularly in the SF chapter for about 2 years, until my job near there ended. I've since moved to Virginia and I'm talking up Alliance to all of my friends there (even got one to go try out HQ while I'm deployed!). Soon I'll be back and I'll be able to get my LARPing fix again...it's going to be EPIC!

Anywho, as to why I'm lurking about in the Denver section. First of all, as I said, I'm deployed...so I have a bit of freedom in what I do when I'm not tasked with anything in specific. Secondly, you guys are a new chapter in a relatively isolated area: I thought it would be helpful to throw some (limited) experience your way while a lot of you are still trying to figure things out. In addition, the Alliance is more of a family than just an international organization of improvisational thespians telling a collaborative fantasy story through their actions and interactions at organized events: we're a family. Family helps each other out, so I'm here to help however I can. Finally, I lived in Colorado Springs for a Summer once...it was beautiful and there were thunderstorms every day...and I miss it, so maybe I'll get a chance to visit someday and check out the chapter :cold: :thumbsup:

-Luke

Heya- My name is Briana and I have been larping since 04- mostly wod buisness but some others too. I make costumes and props for a living for various larps, conventions and other stuff. Very much looking forward to September : )

Hey, I'm Matt. I'm a friend of Lacey's and we're kinda working together along with her husband to get ready to play in October.

This is my first real LARPing experience, though my background pretty much covers everything else from costuming to SCA to a variety of tabletops and MMO RPGs. What I've found frustrating is that in most cases, the "game" aspect of RPGs causes many people to approach them with a problem-solving mentality, so if they can achieve the goal by shooting the menacing stranger rather than attempting to infiltrate his secret society, then they'll do that because it's easier. I guess in a sense I'm still a little inexperienced at roleplaying in it's purest form because it always takes a backseat to winning in the games I've played. I'm very excited at the prospect of total immersion and the opportunity to grow as a character and roleplayer.

I am currently in the Air Force serving at Buckley AFB both in the National Guard AND full time, so I am gone some weekends (like September) but looking at the schedule I should be pretty clear. I also bring an EMT license as well as engineering and mechanic skills, so I'm sure you can find ways to put me to work :thumbsup:

Combat and roleplaying groups have seemed to me to be some of the greatest friends and I'm excited to meet you all :D

By the way, are there already a lot of Barbarians in the group?

Welcome, Matt! Thanks for volunteering to serve in our armed forces, and I'm delighted to read that your schedule will allow you to come out in October!

Immersive roleplaying through LARP really is its own beast even in comparison to the table-top roleplaying experience, let alone video games. Don't be too quick to think that the warrior who just beat down the menaching stranger did so because it was easier than infiltrating the secret society. Playing a warrior who gives the beat down first, and asks questions later is in itself a valid roleplaying experience -- and certainly many characters from fantasy literature demonstrate this archetype for us beautifully! The athletic aspect of boffer combat also changes the odds a little bit when a beatdown means a fun, active experience rather than merely hoping to do well with the roll of the d20. Sometimes the immediate beatdown is the valid roleplaying choice, not just the lazy one.

That being said, from what I've heard from our fellow players at the out-of-character meet 'n' greet in July, and the in-character tavern night a few weeks ago -- I don't think we'll observe any shortage of great roleplaying or thoughtful characterization in this game. If Valous finds himself frustrated with anything, I suspect it may be that a barbarian can hardly find a decent good old fashioned beatdown in this town for all the people clamoring to join every mysterious stranger's secret society instead! I don't believe any of us headed into this energetic new game will find disappointment in the roleplay experience awaiting us.

Looking forward to meeting you in October,
Trace Moriarty

Hey everybody. Name's Will, husband of Lacey, buddy of Matt. Been involved in various forms of nerdery and geekery for about as long as I remember, and am happy to continue on with this. Looking forward to either playing as a fighter, or as an NPC (after all, who else gets more HAAAAAM and CHEEEEEESE). As far as play style goes, I'm a big believer that the 'crunch' (mechanics) are there to serve the 'fluff' (story). In this setting, obviously the primary concern is, and always will be, safety, but beyond that if somebody just wanted to whack each other with sticks they don't need all the rigmarole. So the more chances that story can be created, both between PCs and NPCs and PC to PC, the better the experience for everybody. I'm really excited to see everybody, and hope to help make this the best experience possible.

Oh I am so excited to meet all of you face to face at games (If we haven't already met that is).

Welcome to the group everyone, this is going to rock so much!!!!!

Greetings All,

I'm new to Alliance and LARPS involving Boffer at all. I've been role playing well on 18 years now. Originally from the East Coast (Baltimore, Maryland Area) I was part of the Classic Camarilla from 2002 to 2003 as the Head ST for my Chapter, "Tooth and Nail". We ran mostly Laws of the Wyld with some Laws of the Night on occasion for fun.

A few friends learned about Alliance starting up here in Denver at Tacticon and told me about it. I'm super excited, though, not as well funded as I'd like. I'll be building up my garb as time passes, that's for sure. I believe at present we have a committed group of 4, with more possible. I'm all paid up and digging through everything that I can find to help anchor my character in the world better. If there is anything past the back story on the website and what is in the Rule book that I should read, I'm happy to start.

On a side note, if you need assistance or volunteers for helping to organize and/or coordinate the events, I have been working for conventions for the past 7 years in either a Director of Special Operations (Security, I'll explain in person if given the chance) or Vice Chairman of the convention I've been working for.

Looking forward to meeting everyone I can and having a good and safe time!
Take care,
Klandaghi

Good to know... I might take you up on some aspect of that.
We plan on hitting up MANY conventions and having a table and/or demo/mod at a few here and there...

Next up is MALcon, then Mile Hi Con!!!

Hope to see you there!!

Sounds like we have a great bunch of folks coming out to play!!!

Jesse

Hi everyone,
My name is Zach or Sorin and this will be my first time at alliance, and first larp in over 15 years. I'm A software developer by trade, and love crafting, tabletop RPG's, Video Games, Writing, Game Design and board games. I move to Colorado from Seattle about 12 years ago and I'm really looking forward to being more involved in Alliance.

Hello, my name is Andy, and I'm new to Larping, but I'm eager to join. Four of my friends are already involved and I look forward to playing this weekend. Presently, my costume and backstory are not very fleshed out, so I think I'm going to stick to NPCing for this first weekend. I've read over the rulebook with some detail, and read some of the suggestions on the website. My character will be a Biata Templar when I get the backstory and costume together. My apologies for joining the forum so close to the date of the event.

Sorin, it's been a delight meeting you a couple of times already. Now I'm eager to meet your character!

Andy, the best time for you to have signed up and started posting on the forums was the day they opened; the second best time is now, however. Welcome! Thanks for joining our discussion here! I hope you have a great time NPCing and getting familiar with the game from that vantagepoint. You might well be the first Biata among the Player Characters in New Acarthia, so that'll be something of a fun pioneering endeavour. I look forward to meeting you in person this weekend.

Trace Moriarty

Hi! Quinn here, my boyfriend Jack and I joined after meeting Jesse at MileHiCon, and will be coming out for this weekend's game to NPC.

We have both been gaming for longer than we care to admit, but he had not done LARP before this weekend, so I am very grateful to Jesse for providing such a kick-*** introduction to this variant, and a group worth the effort of getting back into LARP for me. :)

Will edit this later with more bio info, but right now, lots to arrange for this weekend. See you there!

Hi. I suppose I should do the introduction thing here as well as the in person ones.

I'm Brian, also known as NightEyes. I do not have a character in Alliance yet, but that will come later once I know how things work. Outside of alliance I am a prior service Army Combat Engineer, with a background in Machining, Engineering, Drafting, Carpentry, and nearly every other manual skilled labor.

A large chunk of my friends all joined Alliance and formed the Lamplight Guild.. and shortly after I followed.

I have experience with live steel stage combat, as well as Dagohir, so it may take me some time to get used to pulling my strikes properly, for which I heavily appologise. Most weapons I make will likely be overly padded compared to the stuff required anyway, as I favor fun over efficency, and will make maces, hammers, axes, and other things instead of ultralight swords. I even have plans/ideas for making a combat shovel and farmers scythe at some point. (Depending if I can make it light yet rigid enough for the safety checks)

I have a long history of Stage acting as well as Improv, so will do my best to add flavorful NPC's when posible as well.

Greetings one and all!

I can't believe I have neglected to this as of yet. It is time to correct this oversight methinks.

My name is Mark. This is my first legit LARPing game/experience. I dabbled ever so briefly many years ago when I lived in Greeley with NERO, but the drive was just too bad at the time. I do, however, have a long history of table top role playing that spands many many years and many many systems.

IG I currently play Squire Brom Farsmythe of Rivervale. He/I am easy to recognize because of all the shiny metal armor.

Real world, I am a full time student working towards a degree in Criminal Justice. One day I would like to become an officer of the law and, ideally, make detective. Time will tell though.

See you all in New Acarthia!

Hi Everybody,

My name is Jenniffer (yes with 2 Fs) but most of you know me as R'Ziga T'Gala "Pockets" Smith. She the tavern hand at Deepjug's establishment and a member of the lamplighter guild.

OOG I am an accountant by trade and have two furry roomates named Max and Oz. One barks, the other meows, respectively.

Alliance is the first LARP I have ever taken part in and I've been enjoying it so far.

Here is to many more happy gatherings!

Jenniffer

Hey folks,

Just checking in since I have only met a few of you at the CON this weekend. Guess I'll fill in more information about myself. I am currently a DoD Defense Contractor being abused to perform System and Network Administration on a simulations platform working down on Fort Carson in the Springs. I am originally from Connecticut, like most of the current people poking around another East Coast baby. I have served a few years in the military (Army) from Korea, Fort Carson, and Hawai'i (the correct way to spell it) with three vacations to Iraq in the monkey suit and one outside of it. I have 2 evil minions and 3 war hounds with a wife catering to us so we don't destroy everything in sight.

I look forward to meeting more of the group, since this will be my first time LARPing. I am a big time PC gamer and I do have a few years of freeform RP on the computer and some TableTop experience as well. I will also be taking up any offers on how to construct stuff properly with the help of the rule books.

Back