Jinns house

Status
Not open for further replies.

CRivers

Scholar
As was typical the lux was noisy as it’s inhabitants either packed up to leave or were just tidying up for the weeks to come. Calan sat on the porch with watching quietly. When things died down he sat back. He felt a mixture of anger, and frustration; but still at the same time he had reasons to be happy, hopeful even. Calan picked up the instrument he’d previously left outside Ruki’s door. Calan started to hum as he tuned the guitar down from standard tuning to a lower register. Calan sat back on the porch and began plucking at strings looking for the combination of sounds he could hear in his head. It was a tune he’d heard in another shard, or maybe it was a memory that belonged to someone else. Either way he wanted to try play the song before everyone would return to the lux.

Rohnan was slightly enjoying the calm of the day. Not that things were ever completely calm in the Lux, it was nice to have a moments of peace after the abysmal failure that was their most resent trip into the dark reaches. If the past two months has taught Rohnan anything it was that they were way too under prepared to complete the task that was set out for them.

She climbed the steps of the veranda and sat to listen to Calan play. The music it’s self was a comfort. Not only was the melody nice, but the fact that it was Calan who was playing it. It ment that he hadn’t decided to run off again. Rohnan was still kicking herself for not being able to do anything when that happened. Not that it was her fault, she knew that. But if she ever truly lost Calan she didn’t know how she could handle that. It was probably why she was still annoyed at him. She genuinely worried that he hadn’t learned anything and would just up and wander off again in the middle of the night.

But for now she was content to sit and listen as she pulled out her notebook and jotted a few thoughts down.

Last edited:
Calan nods to Rohnan as she comes up the stairs and continues to play for a while longer before stopping. He places the instrument aside and takes a deep breath. Looking across to his friend.

“How are you making out after all of this?” He doesn’t pause long enough for her to respond just yet and carries on. “I feel like we are missing key information somewhere, either it’s not being shared, or we are straight up missing something. Either way I feel like I’m not going to be so quick to travel to the reaches. Half of me wants to just take off to another shard and let the reaches here do as they do; a quarter of me does want to see this all through.”

He takes a Breath. “What are your thoughts?”

Rohnan looked up at Calan and drummed the back of the pen that she was using on her notebook as she thought. “I’m fully acknowledging that I might be paranoid, but I agree with you. Though it could just completely be because of our rank within the guild, part of me thinks that it’s something beyond that.” Rohnan paused for a moment thinking back to when she rejoined the Sanctum a month ago. “I worry that we are being left out of conversations until the last moment. I remember when I asked to rejoin the Sanctum and Evo asked weather or not what we experienced on that other shard could effect my decision making during this war. Part of me thinks that he believes that we’ve been compromised.” A slight edge comes into Rohnan’s voice as she says the next part, “of course, when one of us decides to eff off to go and talk to Dam and have secret conversations I can see where some of that worry comes from”. She finished and made a face at him that showed that she was still annoyed at him.

“You’re right you are being paranoid. I don’t think Evo truly believes either of us are compromised in that sense. If anything he may have been worried at the time that our connections to those around us here were not strong enough to keep this shards best interest at heart.” Calan absentmindedly traced his finger over his badge. “ I know I have cooled off since but the night we came back I had half a mind to toss this badge down and be done with it. I don’t mind dying for a cause bigger than me but it better be a cause we can accomplish. To be honest the last two months have put us in situations that remind me of when we died, yet somehow worse. Ugh I need a vacation. On the bright side there’s going to be a wedding next month. You know what that means right?” Calan gives a sly smile and picks up the instrument once more.

Rohnan made another face at Calan, and her face darkened at the mention of the other shard. “Eff that other shard” She snarled. “After what we endured to get back here....” she sighed. In many ways it felt like they were still on that burning field.

At the mention of the wedding she perked right up. “I am excited for the wedding though I’m not too familiar with the bride and groom.” An mischievous grin spread across her face. “I do need to have a private conversation with Phal though.” She was given/ assigned herself to a task and she was going to do it well. That’s what Evo ment when he said take initiative, right?

Calan raises an eyebrow; “I feel like Evo was speaking about sanctum business. You should take initiative with that.” Calan points a finger at her while smirking “that is after you run it up the chain first.”

Calan grimaced he only had so many sets of nice clothes. He would need to go to Calanhelm to find something suitable to wear. After all who would agree to dance with him if he looked as shabby as his usual self. Suddenly a thought occurred to him. He hadn’t the faintest idea how to dance.

“Do you think there will be dancing at the wedding?”

The door to the house opens slowly and a tired looking Jinn stumbles out, kimono flowing in the breeze.

"Of course there will be dancing at the wedding. Sarryn is nobleish, they love dancing."

Jinn makes it to the steps and stops himself, half falling half sitting down.

Phalaenopsis came up the walk, carrying an armful of plants and his hands and clothes covered in dirt, and smiling to himself. Not expecting to see half the house out on the porch, he paused a small distance away; he'd been on a bit of a runaway carriage ride emotionally in the last few days, and it was nice to see his friends-- his family-- relaxing in the afternoon breeze. He briefly thought back on the events of the weekend, closing his eyes and leaning his head back; from Calan's return on Friday night being a welcome relief that opened a floodgate of other feelings he didn't realize he'd been holding in, to the humorous awkwardness of high tea with Lady Illandra and the soon-to-be Lady Solveig of Saturday morning, to the joy and elation of being invited to the family before dinner, to the sorrow of the aftermath of the Reaches that night, to the calm tension in the air morning after... He opened his eyes and took a deep breath, lower his gaze from the sky back to porch. 'Whatever happens,' he told himself, 'I have a family that cares about me, and friends that worry about me. So I have to be there for them, too.'

He finally approached, smacking the dirt and dust off his clothes (as best he could without dropping his gathered plants) as he walked. "Hi, everyone." he said, setting his greenery down on the railing before giving them each a quick kiss on the cheek, "Are you just getting up now, Jinn?"

"I've been up for a while, just didn't quite feel like getting out of my bed. Rest is hard to come by lately. How are you faring today"

"Ah, I see." Phalaenopsis replied, smiling broadly, "I thought I'd go and find something to make a bouquet to send to Illandra as a thank you for tea the other day, but I mostly just found plants to put into alchemy. It would have been nice to find at least some antherium and delphinium, and maybe some alstroemeria as well; I considered finding some daffodils and gladiolus flowers to send to Solveig, too. Might end up having to make a short trip to a florist in Calanhelm, but I'll try again tomorrow on my own." He paused, then added, "Do you think Solveig would want a bridal bouquet?"

Jinn's eyes cross slightly as Phal starts naming flowers.

"I recognize absolutely none of those, but in going to guess that Sloveig would love a hand made flower bouquet for her wedding. I couldn't understand anyone not wanting to receive flowers."

Rohnan listened along to the conversation, happy to see the other two Sylvanborn. “Oooh Alstroemeria would look lovely with some Dragon’s tongue, solidago, mums, and roses!” Rohnan excitedly said. Then her face fell a bit. “Too bad I don’t have time anymore for being a florist.”

Phalaenopsis stared in amazement at Rohnan's 'sketch' of a bouquet, and clapped rapidly in a private round of applause. "That's gorgeous, but I think it might send the wrong impression if it was to come from me..." he mused, "The original thought I had was more like, 'congratulations on getting married, you're starting a new phase of your life and you're nervous about it, so here's a bouquet to say I believe in you'; I don't know if she'd get that meaning or if she'd just like the flowers, though. She was, um, quite uncomfortable at tea, although that might have been because it was half a social call and half meeting her future sister-in-law."

At Calan's question, Phalaenopsis simply raised an eyebrow without looking away from Rohnan's sketch. "I mean..." he started slowly, "Maybe? What kind of dance are we talking about? Waltz? Tango? Square?"

Rohnan smirked over at Calan “not ‘properly’ no, but I’m sure we can figure something out. We have a month. We can probably make something up but there’s other things I think might be more prudent to direct my energy for the month.” She shrugged, “besides, I doubt that there will be too many of this lot whose more advanced at dancing as you are.”

Calan looks at Phalaenopsis now squinting . “Square dancing? I feel like your poking fun at me. That can’t seriously be a real dance can it? I just need to learn plain dancing, dancing, Whatever you would expect to see at a wedding.” Calan can feel the tips of his ears warming up. Blushing wasn’t something he was familiar with.

Calan laughs a bit after looking at the drawing. “Are you trying to marry Phal off too Rohnan?

Jinn lays back into the porch and shuts his eyes, listening to the others discuss flowers and dancing.

"I'm sure you can figure it out Calan, just don't step on anyone's toes."

Calan makes a face at Jinn. Calans tone shifts to a less serious tone “You know we could always just highjack the wedding. Rename it the end of the world party. Drink our way into the end of days.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back