Kin

jpariury said:
I wish Resist Element were replaced with Resist <Element>, and you had to pick which one you were resistant to with each purchase.
The problem with that would be that there are more animals that would be resistant to certain elements (such as ice), therefore making the effects of an ice based attack considerably lessened to more creatures. Other elements, such as lightning, however, would remain at its same potency, considering there are few, if any, animals that would be resistant to it. This gives those with ice spells (which, as far as the ordinary battle magic goes, are stronger than the lightning ones. Ice Bolt > Lightning Bolt, etc.) and other means of delivering ice-based damage a disadvantage over those with the abilities to inflict damage of other elements. Having it as a plain ol' "Resist <Any Element>" keeps the game fair for everyone.

If that makes sense to anyone but me, awesome. If not, at least it it makes sense to me. ;) It's kind of like supply and demand: If a lot of things are resistant to ice, the power of ice goes down. If practically nothing is resistant to lightning, the power of lightning remains constant. This gives the lightning users an unfair advantage over the ice users.

Gandian Ravenscroft said:
It's kind of like supply and demand: If a lot of things are resistant to ice, the power of ice goes down. If practically nothing is resistant to lightning, the power of lightning remains constant. This gives the lightning users an unfair advantage over the ice users.
If lots of things are resistant to ice, fewer ice goes out. So, fewer things buy resistance to ice, because their build is better spent elsewhere... if practically nothing is resistant to lightning, that improves the power of lightning, and that just seems like a good thing to me. But that's arguing from mechanic impact, which isn't really the source of my (albeit extremely mild) discontent. Kyn are supposed to justify their racial abilities. I get the idea that lots of people go "Ooo, bears are really durable in the cold, therefore, my bearkyn can buy resist element!" (or some variation). But given what the skill does, the true statement would be "Bear are really durable in the cold, therefore, my bearkyn is flame retardant too!"

Looking for logic to justify "WoOoOogy mAaAaAagic" is generally futile, but given that players are required to justify their choices...

jpariury said:
If lots of things are resistant to ice, fewer ice goes out. So, fewer things buy resistance to ice, because their build is better spent elsewhere... if practically nothing is resistant to lightning, that improves the power of lightning, and that just seems like a good thing to me. But that's arguing from mechanic impact, which isn't really the source of my (albeit extremely mild) discontent. Kyn are supposed to justify their racial abilities. I get the idea that lots of people go "Ooo, bears are really durable in the cold, therefore, my bearkyn can buy resist element!" (or some variation). But given what the skill does, the true statement would be "Bear are really durable in the cold, therefore, my bearkyn is flame retardant too!"

Looking for logic to justify "WoOoOogy mAaAaAagic" is generally futile, but given that players are required to justify their choices...

I also agree that Wylderkin should really justify their racials, and I fully agree with you on the aspect of them being resistant to certain things. As you say, a fire resistant bear is just plain not logical (Well actually, how do we know bears AREN'T fire resistant? Is there some kind of lab where they set bears on fire to see? ;) ). It would make sense to give Resist Element to those who can justify it for multiple, if not all, elements (such as dwarves, who have it because of their exposure to the colds, hots, funky radiation, and stone that they endure in the mountains), but there just not enough animals that can truly justify it.

Gandian Ravenscroft said:
As you say, a fire resistant bear is just plain not logical (Well actually, how do we know bears AREN'T fire resistant? Is there some kind of lab where they set bears on fire to see? ;) ).

How soon we forget.

What about SMOKEY BEAR. He BETTER be fire resistant because otherwise he would be ASHES BEAR.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Like I said in a lot of topics on this...All animals are immune to magic in real life. It doesn't work on them, so they could get resist magic.

I honestly don't think that the people should justify there picks. There costume should do it. There makeup, if intense should justify it. If I have more stuff/makeup on then one of the makeup intense races I should be able to get there racial as well.

I just want to see a rationale, it can be a flimsy one but I want it when someone submits racials for approval. If somebody sends in a character history for a Moose-Kin and asks for Racial Dodge and Racial Assassinate my eyebrow would go up but who knows, they might have a justification for it that I never thought of. At the end of the day this person is spending build for the racials and I'm not going to tell you how to spend your build as long as there is a reasonable justification/explaination for what you choose.

I'm asking people to exercise some creativity, most racials can be justified for pretty much any Kin with the application of enough research. What I'm trying to avoid is people not having an IG or OOG explaination ready if people ask. Gypsy Curse would be a tough sell for most animals, but Raven and Coyote have folklore to back it. It's important not to just look at the physical attributes of the animal but also the perception of the animal in legend and song, a LOT of doors open at that point.

But Rabbits and Doves can't buy Resist Magic in HQ, I've seen too many disappear or appear out of nowhere. :p

Along those lines, I did get approval for Racial Prof/Racial Dodge for my Eaglekin from Southern MN. If you'd like to see the justification I came up with (research and character history) to get it I'd be happy to show ya Toddo. :)

The character is actually kept logistically in HQ anyways lol But I think I got the main idea that I primarily needed to get approval for the chapter where I was creating/playing the character IG.

You're playing an Eaglekin for SoMN? Are you going to play them at this weekend's event? If so, Gandian will gladly make your acquaintance.

lol I'm sure I'll see you there. I even posted on the IG boards about getting bolts... ;)

I didn't know if that was you as a character or as an NPC. It's hard to tell when the name is unfamiliar to me and it just sounds like a person wanting something, and wanting PC equipment is something that NPCs are quite found of doing. ;)

Just because your not sure the character posting is an NPC or PC oog is not really a good reason not to respond... Just saying characters wouldn't make that distinction that's all.

I'm sure you misunderstand me. I wasn't not responding with help because I believed it to be an NPC, and any thought to do so nonexistent. I was planning to respond with assistance regardless of their PC or NPC-ness, I'm just saying that I didn't recognize the character in question as your Eaglekin and not an NPC (considering I did not know said Eaglekin's name).

Believe me, I wasn't just hatin' on (what I believed to be) an NPC before they're (what I believed to be) an NPC. I was going to help regardless.

Dreamingfurther said:
Just because your not sure the character posting is an NPC or PC oog is not really a good reason not to respond... Just saying characters wouldn't make that distinction that's all.

Depends on where you're at. Treat 'Adventurers' as a social class long enough...

Toddo said:
I'm asking people to exercise some creativity, most racials can be justified for pretty much any Kin with the application of enough research. What I'm trying to avoid is people not having an IG or OOG explaination ready if people ask. Gypsy Curse would be a tough sell for most animals, but Raven and Coyote have folklore to back it. It's important not to just look at the physical attributes of the animal but also the perception of the animal in legend and song, a LOT of doors open at that point.

But Rabbits and Doves can't buy Resist Magic in HQ, I've seen too many disappear or appear out of nowhere. :p

Lol that was funny bro....great point.

Gilwing said:
Toddo said:

That's what it was? I always assumed they were just amazing rogues...

Fynwei- I was not party to that decision if you tried to have a Rabbit or Dove KIn approved and I'm actually open to rabbits having Resist Magic (the comment was made to get a laugh). Rabbit's feet are considered lucky, that would explain most of the racials actually. (this is an example of how doing your homework can let you argue for most of the racial abilities)

Dreamingfurther- I never had a real beef with your racials, I was just argueing for the ones I saw as most appropriate. You can play your Eagle in HQ with no drama, you spent 10 build on that racial rather than picking a repeatable one and that satisfies me plenty.

At the end of the day, Kin are strapping on more makeup or prosthetics than any other race (in most cases, though an arguement could be made for the tuskies and DEs) and they are paying to play this game and have fun. I'm not going to take someone's fun away just because they didn't pick the racials that I saw as most appropriate as long as they can make an arguement that is based in logic or folklore.

My only beef with KIn is that there is no option to remove the "pay double" flaw. I'd propose that allowing Kin to choose to not have to pay double for RW/RM in exchange for only being able to pick a single racial skill would be awesome. An Owl-Kin celestial scholar is specifically what I was thinking of in this case, but there are plenty of others.

That would be cool.
Toddo said:
My only beef with KIn is that there is no option to remove the "pay double" flaw. I'd propose that allowing Kin to choose to not have to pay double for RW/RM in exchange for only being able to pick a single racial skill would be awesome. An Owl-Kin celestial scholar is specifically what I was thinking of in this case, but there are plenty of others.

I'd also like to see an option for the half build racials like half build for herbal lore (which would make some sense for a spitting cobra kin I've been thinking of). I'm not sure about half cost for archery but it must make sense for some kind of kin.

Back