Magic, Elemental, Earth/Chaos Strike

dontneednoname

Marshal
From what I've been reading it seems these rituals have no per logistics period limit. As written, to me anyway, it looks as if these rituals will operate as long as one is willing to use critical/back attacks to fuel them. This is an interesting concept and if it is true makes these rituals very useful if not powerful. Is this the intent of these rituals?

Correct. Spark up your Crits/BA and turn on when required

I was confused about this, as well. Specifically, this wording (bolding is mine):
"In order to fuel this Ritual the character must spend a Back Attack or Critical Attack. Once the ten minute duration passes, another charge (and Back Attack or Critical Attack) must be spent to reactivate it."
What does the mention of "another charge" imply? Until this was brought up here, I took that to mean that for each casting of the ritual you would get a certain number of charges per day. Am I incorrect in this interpretation?

I believe its a per day ritual. So every casting will give you a per day use, similar to spell parry.

I believe its a per day ritual. So every casting will give you a per day use, similar to spell parry.

Looks like that's not the case, that is is always ready to be on and just needs a crit or back attack to fuel it for ten minutes.

@Vry_Young_Pup put in the verbiage from the rule packet:

"In order to fuel this Ritual the character must spend a Back Attack or Critical Attack. Once the ten minute duration passes, another charge (and Back Attack or Critical Attack) must be spent to reactivate it."

Another charge is exactly how many other rituals in 2.0 work and how spell parry works currently. You need to use another charge AND another back attack/critical attack, not just the skills. Seems clear to me...

Can an owner please clarify the Strike rituals are 1/day or unlimited activations, please?

Assassin's Edge uses similar verbiage:

Assassin's Edge (Item [Any]) - Assassin’s Edge allows the user to, once per day per charge, swing a melee strike with the “Body” carrier when striking from behind. This may be combined with any applicable skill, Ritual, or other effect that would alter a melee swing with a carrier.

Also, Elemental Strike seems even a little more clear:

In order to fuel this Ritual the character must spend a Back Attack or Critical Attack. Once the ten minute duration passes, another charge (and Back Attack or Critical Attack) must be spent to reactivate it. Multiple charges (and multiple skills) may be active during the same time period for multiple choices on what to swing.

Therefore, I conclude that each casting would result in either A) a single charge or B) a predetermined amount of charges. Im going to bet on A.

Still, I think a good overall point has been made. Some sort of header or tag that said something like "charges" or "charges per day" would help clarify rituals overall.

-MS

To the best of my recollection and research, any ritual that requires the expenditure of a Back or Critical Attack or some other build bought skill to activate it works on a charge system, just like Spell Parry, which was the model for these rituals.

That is my recollection as well. You must use a charge of the ritual on the item and a build-purchased ability to power the ritual. No more power out of nowhere! :)

So to have any effect on an immune to silver and normal monster a fighter/rogue will need to use a slot on a magic item and a crit/ba to get ten minutes, but a templar/adept (with high magic) can do it all day?

If that is and remains the case, I hope there are a lot fewer immune to silver and normal, and magic/healing to effect monsters remaining in the data base, for the sake of those who aren't going the split class caster route.

I leave pure casters out because while they can have the carrier their damage will be so nominal it won't really matter.

To the best of my recollection and research, any ritual that requires the expenditure of a Back or Critical Attack or some other build bought skill to activate it works on a charge system, just like Spell Parry, which was the model for these rituals.
Dan, has the number of charges per ritual been determined? Is it just one use per casting? Or can the rituals be cast at a higher difficulty for more charges?

I have submitted a clarification request to ARC on this item whether the rituals are one charge per ritual that occupies a single slot on the item (Spell Parry), a multi charge per ritual that each occupy a slot (Elemental Burst) or a multi charge per ritual that all occupy the same slot (Spell Store).

I will let you know as soon as I hear back.

So to have any effect on an immune to silver and normal monster a fighter/rogue will need to use a slot on a magic item and a crit/ba to get ten minutes, but a templar/adept (with high magic) can do it all day?

If that is and remains the case, I hope there are a lot fewer immune to silver and normal, and magic/healing to effect monsters remaining in the data base, for the sake of those who aren't going the split class caster route.

I leave pure casters out because while they can have the carrier their damage will be so nominal it won't really matter.

Remember the option of teamwork. If that fighter/rogue is teamed up with a spellcaster of any sort, that spellcaster can potentially cast a spell to make the blade affect that monster as well (and all other monsters of that type for 10 minutes).

Can the Templar do it alone? Yes, but at considerably less damage per swing than a fighter and spellcaster working in tandem (since the templar has over 120 build tied up in spellcasting and high magic).

Once again, teamwork beats the "go it alone" build.

-MS

That kind of hyper reliance is a tough sell.

But pick the class that works for you. No one is making anyone play any particular class, after all.

Gary, don't forget about the Blade spells, which will be the most readily available source of different damage types.

And yes, there should be a lot fewer monsters that are magic to hit. Honestly, we talked over removing the Magic damage type entirely since it's just a gating mechanism. We opted to leave it in, but the intention is to reduce instances where it is necessary. Immunity to Normal may still be around, but immunity to Silver should be much less prevalent.

The number of charges available per ritual has not been determined at this time.

While we're on the topic, I have two more questions.
1) Will a dispel remove an active Strike ritual, as it would a blade spell? What about unconsciousness and/or becoming dead?

2) Does a Strike ritual only affect the weapon that the ritual is cast on?

1. No. Dispel does not work on ritual effects or high magic effects that duplicate ritual effects. That is why a Dispel doesn't remove your Arcane Armor, for example.
2. Yes.

Back