Magic Inert Race

Oh man, I would consider race changing or making my alternate character a flubberdoop. I've played up through now (about level 30) without many magic items. As of right now, the only one that I have that would no longer work is my enhanced wand, which I would be willing to set aside for the advantages of being a flubberdoop.

I think it would be a blast to play an adept with this idea - I would be all over either school (or, shoot, both!).

Fun idea! :)

Not to be that guy, but as currently described the flubberdoops would be the best possible race at making use of constructs, since they could meet the requirements for two days in a construct at 110 build and then buy melee skills as cheaply as possible from that point out. They could cast the master construct ritual no problem, that's not forbidden, and then use high magic to spirit store; again, no problem.

No, but I'd rule that the construct is a magic item being used, and this particular class would be restricted from it.

Another significant question, will FDs have their own body gain (per amount of build) and armor limits. Are they FDs who FD? (Insert First ed race joke here). Did I miss this part earlier?

A.mungo said:
Another significant question, will FDs have their own body gain (per amount of build) and armor limits. Are they FDs who FD? (Insert First ed race joke here). Did I miss this part earlier?
No race has their own racial body progression or armor limits...those are entirely based on class (with some races having bonus or penalty "base" body points). It has been insinuated that the Class for FDs would be determined by whichever class would cost the least amount of Build points under "normal" conditions...but if your Class can be any Class for which you have enough Build Points (as is the current ruling), then FDs could all be Fighters and follow that body point progression, no matter what skills they have.

-Luke

Class would follow total build spent in abilities for that class. Have you bought more profs than spells? Fighter. More spells than Backstabs? Rogue. All production? Artisan. Split classes would be hard to actually get unless you micromanage your build, I'd think you'd see a lot of Fighters eventually.

Toddo said:
Class would follow total build spent in abilities for that class. Have you bought more profs than spells? Fighter. More spells than Backstabs? Rogue. All production? Artisan. Split classes would be hard to actually get unless you micromanage your build, I'd think you'd see a lot of Fighters eventually.

For some reason I feel like that would get really muddy really fast, but that's just me!

I think that the Flubs might be a race that you can ONLY racechange INTO. Its like a great mystical secret, a race that exists only between the pages of a spellbook. Good/bad idea?

EDIT: Forgot to list my actual POINT. You'd just keep your old Body.

Or it's a backlash-only race that only appears on scrolls that have at least 2 oblits on the backlash chart as well. (Though that would require putting oblits back in the backlash list) :twisted:

Undrask said:
Toddo said:

For some reason I feel like that would get really muddy really fast, but that's just me!

I think that the Flubs might be a race that you can ONLY racechange INTO. Its like a great mystical secret, a race that exists only between the pages of a spellbook. Good/bad idea?

In response to the body issue. The DB would keep track of body via the fluid class functionality. Depending on build expenditures you could end up with Body points fluctuating from event to event. :p

Toddo said:
Undrask said:
Toddo said:

In response to the body issue. The DB would keep track of body via the fluid class functionality. Depending on build expenditures you could end up with Body points fluctuating from event to event. :p
The database doesn't automatically choose your class based on the lowest BP cost. Class is a user input.

I would recommend picking one progression / armor max and stick to it. The Flubberdoops would then just be a classless race.

Classless race: They're barbarians now? :p

In my mind if you can evade a rules issue with a fun /interesting game mechinic I don't know why you wouldn't use it :p

I also love the RP of being a race that comes from a spellbook. This also matches the "can't use magic items" part.

We might actually cal them "Fluberdoops" because the wizard that discovered them was flabberghasted and didn't know what else to say when he found them!

Wouldn't they all just be fighters since the build costs would be the same either way?

I mean... they buy spells as a fighter just as cheaply as they would as a scholar.

So why not be a fighter and get the bonus body and 40 pt armor cap?

RiddickDale said:
Wouldn't they all just be fighters since the build costs would be the same either way?

I mean... they buy spells as a fighter just as cheaply as they would as a scholar.

So why not be a fighter and get the bonus body and 40 pt armor cap?

Fair point. I'd probably say then that they are locked at Rogue for Body and starting armor cap then, since they can but wear extra armor on the cheap.

Toddo said:
Imagine if you will a PC race that is completely incapable of Activating or using magic items bound in physical objects, I'm talking just spirit rituals here if they want to use ritual system treasure at all. They are still effected as normal by spells, but cannot use magic items at all, they just don't work in their hands.

In exchange, this race (I'ma call them the flubberdoops) gets to choose 2 racials a'la wylderkin, and in addition pays the lowest cost on the chart for every skill in the game. They can still be mages, they can even use wands and High Magic, just not other items.

I'd play one. Am I entirely nutso?

Subquestions:

A) Is this race too powerful in your estimation?

B) Why do you feel this way?

I would 100% play this race. So to answer your question, no you are not nutso for wanting to play this race (might be for other reasons though ;))

A/B) Yes. I feel they are very OP. The change in build costs is what keeps the classes "fair" (keeping all this equal). I would go either Scout (oh no I didn't say that, they are the worst class right Gary? ;) ) or E Templar. My racials would be the two best IMO, Dodge and Resist Magic. With the E Templar I have HM for Banes and Cloaks along with a Magic Aug. With the Scout I can dodge, might change my racials to RM and RC.

Or you could be an adept until you have all the dodges, and high magic you want and then by profs forever.

Since several folks have mentioned that the advantages and disadvantages of this race are balanced enough that they would not require heavy makeup or RP restrictions, I could go along with tweaking this concept the right way to call them "Human". They can be described as "fast learners" to explain the reduced cost for skills, but I still wouldn't give them any Racials. I might even be convinced to support Ray's idea to not have double cost for a secondary school in order to make up for the lack of Racials. It makes Humans into a true Jack-of-All-Trades and provides for a wide variety of skills to be purchased without later on feeling like they were "wasted" if the skill turns out to be something you don't like to use often. You could also force them to take Crafting skills (which I think was also suggested) similar to MWEs as a drawback. So many possibilities with this!

-Luke

So you would be in favor of Humans suddenly losing the ability to use magic items? Were we designing a brand new game I'd be all for it.

Drastically changing a race is kind of a big thing... Introducing a new race in the next major rules revision and giving folks the chance to race change in the "magic hiccup" would probably be better PR.

I'd have been extraordinarily angry if my primary celestial ritualist was forcibly made this new race (when she was still human), it wouldn't make any sense with her character history or goals. Even if I hadn't already been seeking a race change, it would have almost required (based on history and goals) that she stop the other storylines she was involved in, or at least divert from them, and RC-quest.

Back