Magic Items

Gilwing

Baron
Alliance Logistics
Alavatar said:
Gilwing said:
Alavatar said:
Perhaps my question should have been "Why must magic items be part of the IG rewards available for goblin/dragon stamps?"
I feel that then the game will be flodded with production. Why buy it from the potion maker or the smith when I can buy it from Bob who has too many gobbies so he sells it much cheaper, or the fact that one team has 1k mort potions, now making the value of one (to them) less.
Is that better or worse then everyone on that team having a 1/day Life, 1/day Prison, and/or 1/day Cure Mort.?
Depends on what you want more. The situation I mentioned, to me is worse for the game seeing how affects more people and the economy as well. You situation allows for 3 seperate items, which can be stolen and destroyed, to be used only once per logs. Also any one can use a potion even if you can't read.
 

Saephis

Squire
Gilwing said:
Last I checked I didn't say to be purchased at one event. You can purchase gobbied PP when you pc and npc and this is all per-person. I have 8-10 people on my team, at 100 per weeked thats 800-1000 pp spent PER event it can totaly be possible.

I am just arguing that giving less options allows for a flood of something else.
No need to be snippy now, things were going just fine in the thread. I see your point, I was simply stating that 1000 Cure Mort's from the start, while possible with multiple people, is a bit absurd. And I think that your pointing out of how many GS's could be used by each group of people at once supports that.

However, from a different point of view, this would increase goblin stamp expenditure, thus meaning people'll burn through them faster if they're mass-buying High Production items event after event. That means they'll need more goblin stamps, more often. This results in more donations / work for the chapter, since potions/elixers/scrolls/etc are a one-shot/per expendible resource, the chapter will still benefit in the long run, as times/per day is renewable resource until it expires.

So either two things would happen by that change, either people will do work for their chapters or donate a good amount more to keep up with expendible resources such as scrolls and potions... or people will mellow out on resources and seek for better alternatives.

I still don't see a down side to eliminating the ritual and #/day magic item creation along with it.
 
I do have to say that I think that the whole ritual system could use some re-evaluating. With the enchant spell rituals you basically are copying build. At least from the rituals in the rule book it looks like rituals are primarily different things that are special and cool and different from just spells. I think everyone might be happier if rituals went more that direction. Because heck, a scholar can just keep buying spell slots if they want spells instead of ritual levels.

With ritual levels I have always been sort of confused as to why the hardest ones are only difficulty 10. And I've also wondered why you can't have an automatic success on a ritual say if you have as many levels of formal as the difficulty. Or perhaps 5 more levels of formal magic than the difficulty. It just seems like at this point that its hard to justify have loads and loads of ritual levels (other than for insano banano spellcrafting).

This could potentially also lead to cool situations in which you have like a difficulty 30 ritual or something and you get one great primary ritual caster and like 4 or 8 secondary casters even in addition to that to try and accomplish the rit.

In any case I hope that some serious changes are considered to the way magic items are currently rolling... =/
 
Dreamingfurther said:
I do have to say that I think that the whole ritual system could use some re-evaluating. With the enchant spell rituals you basically are copying build. At least from the rituals in the rule book it looks like rituals are primarily different things that are special and cool and different from just spells. I think everyone might be happier if rituals went more that direction. Because heck, a scholar can just keep buying spell slots if they want spells instead of ritual levels.

With ritual levels I have always been sort of confused as to why the hardest ones are only difficulty 10. And I've also wondered why you can't have an automatic success on a ritual say if you have as many levels of formal as the difficulty. Or perhaps 5 more levels of formal magic than the difficulty. It just seems like at this point that its hard to justify have loads and loads of ritual levels (other than for insano banano spellcrafting).

This could potentially also lead to cool situations in which you have like a difficulty 30 ritual or something and you get one great primary ritual caster and like 4 or 8 secondary casters even in addition to that to try and accomplish the rit.

In any case I hope that some serious changes are considered to the way magic items are currently rolling... =/
There are rituals that are more difficult than difficulty 10. Banish to Other Plane and Controlled Spirit Store are both 12, Proscribe is 15, and many many rituals can be cast at higher difficulty for increased effect. For example, a + 8 Undead Slayer would be difficulty 19, a 30 point suit of Arcane Armor is 25, and a Spell Store 29 would be difficulty 111.
 
I generally don't agree with removing 9th level spells from magic items altogether. I am in favor of putting some kind of restriction on them (like, 'must possess skill to use item that duplicates it', or 'must possess ritual levels in school to use items above (6/7/8/9/?)th level' or something.) I see a great number of casters use rituals like Exp. Enchant, Channel, and Spellstore to enhance their own casting ability. I would like them to be able to keep doing that. I think removing the ability for casters to grant themselves more of their own power is one of the things that makes ritual levels attractive. For every few ritual levels you buy, that's another handful of spells that you could have bought. It would be nice if they were still useful in a 'at least I can still use some of them to get more spells, via exp ench/etc' kind of way, since they're otherwise not used much.

And yeah, we just cast a diff 30, a 31, and a 29 at the last event I was at. (Specifically, Seth (Alavatar) did, just to reflect the weight I consider his opinion on the matter to hold.) (They were a 19 rit Permanence, a Spellstore 13, and a PA 4, for the curious.)

~Matt, WCV
 
Jorundr said:
do have to say that I think that the whole ritual system could use some re-evaluating.
Arent you still new to alliance?

not that it will mean Im going to disregard your statement just found it funny for you to make considering I mean.
Yes I am new to the Alliance but I've been listening and observing for quite some time now... And I’ve been larping for longer than I’ve been in Alliance. Also making a comment like that it sounds pretty hollow to say you’re not trying to just discredit my statement, especially when you don’t bother to take any time to respond to it. I’m also trying to learn here and I can accept I’m wrong but perhaps you only want people with years of experience to make comments. If that’s so I'm sorry and I won't say anything more. =\

Perhaps I should amend my statement to say that I think some rituals could be re-evaluated...

I'm really not interested in arguing here just a little hurt. (I did start this thread)
 

Mike Ventrella

Duke
Owner
Moderator
HQ Staff
tieran said:
What were some of the other possibilities that were discussed in the ARC in the same realm of things?

If you can discuss them now that is...
We're probably going to save big proposed changes like this for the NEXT edition of the Rules, years down the line. We'll be discussing some at the Symposium, but I think big changes need to be discussed in detail and even "playtested" (but not during a regular game) and so on.
 

Auric

Administrator
Alliance General Manager
Alliance Logistics
I think the battle days HQ has scheduled would be a great time to do some play testing.
 

Toddo

Knight
HQ Staff
Marshal
The battle day (this year at least) is going to be part of the Ashbury campaign, with the results of the battles having an effect on the ongoing story-arcs. It will be a fun time, and a way for players to effect the in-game world (for good or evil). New rules might prejudice the results. I'm actually really excited about it, but it's probably not the place for massive playtesting.
-toddo
ps- this is just MY opinion, not that of the entire HQ staff.
 
Well I'll be happy enough just to see the coming rulebook with the Alliance title page. =) Any idea how far that’s been pushed back or if publication of it is possibly imminent?
 

Mike Ventrella

Duke
Owner
Moderator
HQ Staff
Dreamingfurther said:
Well I'll be happy enough just to see the coming rulebook with the Alliance title page. =) Any idea how far that’s been pushed back or if publication of it is possibly imminent?
No idea. It all depends on when the owners get finished voting and debating the new rules proposals. I don't want to rush it. Don't expect it before the fall probably.
 

Mike Ventrella

Duke
Owner
Moderator
HQ Staff
Auric said:
I think the battle days HQ has scheduled would be a great time to do some play testing.
Well, the battle day is only a few weeks after the symposium so chances are nothing will even be ready by then for playtesting.

Like I said, big changes will take big planning.

In 2009, I will have been doing this for 20 years now. I don't see any need to rush into anything! :D
 
I'm glad to hear it and I tend to agree. I'm crossing my fingers to get a new rulebook by the fall. =)
 
Top