Necromancy?

jomcf11

Artisan
are there any races who don't mind, or even appreciate it? all I've heard of are races that look down on or hate it.

The last I saw the Biata packet it indicated that Biata could be perfectly down with the damage aspect of necromancy but the controlling/creating undead side of it can get a bit touchy for them. (You know, depending on how they view the race of the potential victim.) Considering they can't cast celestial magic, that's not a far stretch for believability.

Usually the celestial haters are more likely to cast it (biata and barbarians)

Orcs are another race who are in the likely candidates column.

Pretty much any race can have them though.

every one likes necromancy. jeeze... :D

It's important to note though that even if you have a character that's ok with necro, you might not want to be too vocal about it IG, lest your character have a shorter than average lifespan. :mrgreen:

I don't know, Emilio lived a long and happy life.

Fearless Leader said:
High Ogres and Dryads should not be casting necromancy; I'd say that was almost a sure sign that you're not playing your race properly.
assuming they buy the party-line about Necromancy being "bad", i'd agree. but, there's nothing intrinsic in either race which removes them from either the temptation of power or an independent, logical approach which leads them to Chaos

Mobius said:
Fearless Leader said:
High Ogres and Dryads should not be casting necromancy; I'd say that was almost a sure sign that you're not playing your race properly.
assuming they buy the party-line about Necromancy being "bad", i'd agree. but, there's nothing intrinsic in either race which removes them from either the temptation of power or an independent, logical approach which leads them to Chaos

Both the HIgh Ogre and Dryad sections of the rulebook talk about an extreme anti-necromancy view. For High Ogres, it apparently makes their skin itch much like a Biata around celestial magic.

When I read that, it kind of killed my thoughts of making a spore Dryad that would cast necromancy as a means to correct life imbalances. It was a neat concept, but the anti-necro doesn't make it work out.

sure, the common High Ogre and Dryad avoid necromancy, but so does every other race. on average. i could easily see individuals from either race embracing their aversion as a kind of attraction, the way an Arsonist often fears fire, but starts them nonetheless. or, malcontents/pariah could rebel against their cultural inclination and become a Necromancer simply to revenge themselves against those who spurned them. not to mention, there are plenty of learned characters who have decided that Chaos is not only not evil, but beneficial to the Earth - either race could be of such an ilk and work hard to overcome the "bigotry" of their comrades. i'm saying that there's nothing intrinsic to either race (like Biata's inability to buy "Read Magic") which stops them from using Chaos

besides, if Mystics can rationalize the use of Command effects, i see no reason why High Ogres couldn't rationalize the use of Chaos. and, saying either is "playing their race wrong" seems to vie against the vast leniency imposed by most race packets

Because Necromancy is stupid and evil and all necromancers should die before they try to kill everyone. :)~Ogre ideology

High ogres and Dryads should dislike necromancy as much as biata dislike celestial magic. They should dislike it as much as dwarves like craftsmanship and MWEs dislike control.

The book even says that you are not allowed to create the one stone elf who loves to tell jokes, or the dark elf who enjoys sunbathing and so on. Breaking a basic racial trait and using the excuse that you are "insane" or something is too much, in my opinion. These are not "races" like we have in the real world (which are just humans with slight variations). These are unique creatures, no more alike than a dog and a cat.

And since when are MWEs allowed to explain away a dislike of controlling magics?

The ruling with mwes is that players can rationalize not disliking commands. Is the same not true for the other racial dislikes?

Right -- MWEs hate control and slavery. Most MWEs wouldn't care if you threw a Charm spell at a tree or even if you threw one at a person in order to remove something that was controlling them. It's the result that matters. A spell in the command school isn't automatically evil to a MWE.

So if a High Ogre said something nasty about a Gypsy (which were probably true) and was on the receiving end of an "opposite of yourself" curse, could said Ogre start chucking Necro like candy at a parade?

Druk said:
So if a High Ogre said something nasty about a Gypsy (which were probably true) and was on the receiving end of an "opposite of yourself" curse, could said Ogre start chucking Necro like candy at a parade?

That is certainly a valid interpretation of that curse. Not the brightest interpretation, but valid. :lol:

Back