New interested person

Grianadhmad

Artisan
Good afternoon,
I've read through much of the literature and scanned the site several times, but I didn't find anything that very clearly and poignantly said "START HERE." So, I choose to post here on the forum before trying to pre-register, since I'm not actually a member of the chapter yet. I sent a message to your logistics email several days ago but haven't gotten a reply - and I'm sure you're all busy with the follow-up work of your June event, scheduling your July event, et cetera, so I understand completely.

Anyway, hello there! Though a lover of the fantasy and medieval genres and a bit of a low-key cosplayer myself, I've never participated in a LARP and I'd love to get started. Could anyone point me in not necessarily the direction of what to do, but the order in which to do it? :) I'd love to NPC at the August event and have asked for the time off already, though I don't know if it's too late for me to register for it or not.

Regards,

Taed Price, Presque Isle County wannabe LARPer

Welcome! You have chosen.... wisely.

NPCing is a great way to start. You aren't too late for that certainly. There is really no time limit on coming to an event, but if you pre-register, it just let's logistics get things squared away a bit sooner, so you can get in the action right away.

Have you played any tabletop/computer rpg things, like DnD or Pathfinder? There is both plenty to do now, and nothing really required. The forums are a great way to get going.

As an NPC, it's mainly good shoes and black clothes.

As a PC, many more choices, but I don't want to swamp you right away.

-Joe

I'm not sure the July event has been finalized, it was a bit up in the air I think.

Planning for August is good. We'll start Friday night, and play until Sunday morning. While not a lot of game happens Sunday morning, I would not recommend trying to work that day. Everyone is sore after a larp.

Have you played any tabletop/computer rpg things, like DnD or Pathfinder? There is both plenty to do now, and nothing really required. The forums are a great way to get going.

As an NPC, it's mainly good shoes and black clothes.

As a PC, many more choices, but I don't want to swamp you right away.

I was introduced to D&D probably about a year ago... and have played it probably a total of two times since then. But I love learning things so I've devoured a lot of that literature as well.

Starting a PC is beyond tempting, and I may just give in, but a lot of Alliance's guidebooks and suggestions recommend starting as an NPC first. That said, I already have an idea for the character which I'm very comfortable with and would be able to play out, but -- the flipside of you not wanting to swamp me right away -- I don't want to step on any toes or make any rookie mistakes right out the gate.

Starting a PC is beyond tempting, and I may just give in, but a lot of Alliance's guidebooks and suggestions recommend starting as an NPC first. That said, I already have an idea for the character which I'm very comfortable with and would be able to play out, but -- the flipside of you not wanting to swamp me right away -- I don't want to step on any toes or make any rookie mistakes right out the gate.

Starting PC versus NPC is a subject of much debate. With merits on both sides. No wrong answer.

Pros to NPCing first: no prep work, wide variety of skills you will use and have used at you learn the game by drinking from a fire hose but, no meaningful repercussions. Always busy Great choice if solo. Always free
Cons to NPCing first: It's a lot of work. No treasure, no IG relationships being formed. Always busy

Pros to PCing: less skills to worry about, learn the game slowly over time. Easy to relax if you want. TREASURE!!!
Cons to PCing: More prep work, choices matter good and bad (I listed this, but really don't worry. People know you are new, but if you kick the king in the balls, he'll remember) Can be difficult to get going, depending on Level of PCs at the event. Costs money after first event.

Don't worry about rookie mistakes, the simple fact that you are aware rookie mistakes might exist, and you are asking for help puts you way out in front.

After you PC an event you can completely re-write you character, so there is some leeway there. What is your character idea? Alliance has a lot of combat, so knowing how you want to interact in combat is a meaningful choice. (swing things, or throw things)

-Joe

edit: Both NPCing and PCing can feel overwhelming at times. It's really personal choice. I will say that PCing is more fun with more people you know. So if you can convince your Dnd group to come out and give ti a try with you, the enjoyment is exponentially increased.

Last edited:
A barkskin dryad, staff combat most likely, almost certainly end up heavily into spellcasting. The amorphous history of the character floating around my head centres mostly around his awakening from the Great Sleep having been caused by a huge magic something-or-other happening at his tree/in his forest, so he's very curious and keen about developing a broad knowledge of different kinds of magic.

Love it conceptually.

Staff is not a great combat weapon, it's an alright blocker. However, casters can do well without any weapon. Are you thinking a mix of fighting and casting, or pure casting?

Since you've read the books, earth scholar or celestial?

Joe

While I prefer celestial magics, I see my PC being more of an earth based scholar... maybe branching out to study the theoreticals of celestial eventually, but a greater focus on just order and chaos.

Also, given the choice, pure casting. Using a stave as a physical defence would be sufficient, I don't see him doing a lot of physical attacking.

Greetings!

I am head of plot, meaning I am in charge of story, working with my plot team (may also be called as Runners), and NPCs. As Joe stated the Pros and Cons, I typically recommend NPC at least one event and then try out a lot of different skills. Try a staff as NPC. Try spells (both earth and celestial). A lot of stuff is cooler on paper (rogue that uses daggers) then practice/personal skill level. The other plus is you still get experience for your character NPCing and you get one teacher card (you have to be taught skills in order to purchase them/use them) and some extra benefits if we are in dire need of NPCs.

If you go the route of PCing for the first time, the one thing I will advise, while we do have a welcoming community, larp wise you stick your neck out to go on adventurers initially (until you make larp friends or join guilds etc). Most adventurers are designed for a group of people, so you may have to butt your way in or ask to go. I think if you ask to go, all of our players will be happy to have you along (they might warn you it will be dangerous if it is above your paygrade however).

http://traversecitylarp.com/game-guide/
^Should help with some other stuff. Ignore the stuff about camp location, as that needs to be updated yet. The New Player Forum section also has a wealth of info. Will happily answer any questions and work with you to make your character apart of our world:)

-Cory

Really hope you can join us. It makes all of us happy to share our hobby. Solid advise from Joe and Cory. The only thing I would add is as an Npc it gives you an opportunity to watch how the players interact with the world around them and each other. While the rule book is great, somethings really need to be seen live to be understood.

Honestly the more I read and think and prepare, the more excited I am for this. If my schedule allows it I'd love to come NPC the July event if/when it happens, and perhaps then if I'm confident enough, consider PCing in August. ^_^ Thank you everyone so far!

<shamelessplug>
If you're looking to give it a try, South Michigan has a one day on 7/15. I know some people from up this way make the drive if you want to give it a try.
</shamelessplug>

Not to be a contrarian to the NPC advice. But, I highly recommend you play your first time, I still have fond memories of my first event. You want your first larp event to be memorable. It's much more likely to be the case if you play a character you created. You'll learn the rules one way or the other, so don't stress about it. Don't worry about the confidence. Don't worry about your costume. Just come out and play a character. You can decide where you want to go from there.

You can entirely change up your character after the first event, so if you didn't like something your first weekend, you can change it up.

Why not both (why not Zoidberg)?
If anyone up here is indeed going to the July SoMi event, I'd be happy to provide gas money to take me down so I can NPC that day, and then I'd be better prepared to do the August Traverse weekend as a PC.

Why not both (why not Zoidberg)?
If anyone up here is indeed going to the July SoMi event, I'd be happy to provide gas money to take me down so I can NPC that day, and then I'd be better prepared to do the August Traverse weekend as a PC.
I am planning on going. The trip is 3.5 hours to get there so I leave early. Can meet close by and or just plan on picking you up if you want.
Or we can travel Friday night and stay at one of players house which is nice. Tend to just hang out and have fun

Sweet, thank you! I'm some distance from Traverse (two hours northeast) so I could meet you somewhere closer to 75. I'll message you to work out the deets.

Scratch that. In a spectacular example of Murphy's Law, our car won't handle a trip even to just Cadillac for carpooling. :(

I'll have to give this weekend a miss but am already ensuring I have backup plans in place to guarantee my attendance in August.

Life happens. Looking forward to meeting you in August.

Send an E-mail to traverse logistics officially making your character, if you haven't done so already. Don't worry about the build, as that can change, but have a blank in your name.
Just gives you the potential for more starting build when you play in August.

(Still think you should PC in August, and not take Staff. :) )

-Joe

There's also a South Michigan Event that first weekend in August. It sounds like you're in between. So if you can make two weekends in August happen, I highly recommend it. There's a lot of overlap between the two games. :)

Back