New player questions

Movement, maneuverability and precision should you use a punch shield.

From a general standpoint it's really down to play style.

Personally I'd go full shield if I wanted to be on the front lines.

There really isn't any game advantage to using a buckler. There are some styles that favor a smaller shield over a larger one, and of course there are shield styles/and shapes that are just cool, or match the style of a character's costume/gear.

A player is allowed to hold "small non-weapon items" in the same hand as their shield (p.93 arb) such as gas globes, packets, coins, etc... I would think this rule would also allow a player to hold scroll reps in their shield hand. One possible advantage of a buckler design would be to allow the user more range of motion with that hand for holding spell packets and/or scrolls.

Staffs do not require the same open cell foam thrusting tips that are needed on swords, as you are not allowed to thrust with a staff. That being said you should have at least 1" of closed cell foam padding past the end of the core material for the weapon. I often add partial "thrusting tip" of 1" open cell foam in addition to the 1" of closed cell foam as "courtesy padding".

Feel free to hit me up on a pm, or on facebook for any weapons construction questions that you might have :)

Welcome to the game,

Josh C

There is one reason i like the buckler. It's not as much of a spell/alchemy magnet.
And a bit of more mobility. But not a ton.
But i use the buckler for purely physical reasons. I'm short and a regular shield is heavy.
Al

So... If I can hold a gas globe in the same hand as a buckler, can I throw it from that same hand not? Same with a spell packet.

I think the letter of the rules here would say that if you were throwing a gas globe with your shield hand, then you would not also be able to use the game skill "shield" with that hand. So if you were struck in the shield while performing another game action with that hand/arm then you would take the effect of the strike. (note: I am not officially a rules marshal these days)

That being said it can be a bit of a rules mire and it's best to just not do it. On the other hand I tend to touch cast spells with my shield hand pretty often (while out of combat), and haven't really run into that particular rules wicket that I can remember

To be clear, though, you use a small center-grip buckler and touch cast with the packet in your shield hand in contact with the recipient.

You can't throw a packet with any other in-game or out-of-game items in the throwing hand, whereas you can touch-cast with something in the same hand. [Page 94 under the "Packet Attacks" section]

A buckler is considered to be held in the hand you're wielding it on, so you wouldn't be able to throw a packet with that same hand.

Thank you everyone for the help. How would I aquire the local race packet for MWE which is what I will be playing come spring?

How useful is way lay? Can it effectively be used or do things like magic armor and such make it effectively useless?

Also! How would a cause light wounds potion be useful? Can it be thrown or would you have to convince someone to drink it?

Waylay is about as useful as you make it to be. I've seen people go absolutely nuts on a battlefield with waylay. While it is negated by magic armor it is still fairly useful.

As for firelight potions their primary purpose is to pick people up while they are dieing. Since you cannot be reduced below -1 body our lowest level of healing will always be enough to pick you up. People are easier to keep alive when they can run away on their own and you dont have to car

You misread, Sid - he's talking about CAUSE Light Wounds potions, not CURE Light Wounds. ;)

Cause Light Wounds potions are functionally worthless because yes, you need to have someone drink it. Also, since they are Necromantic, they are illegal to possess or use.

The Cause Light Damage elixir (the legal, alchemical equivalent) is slightly better because you can poison someone's food/drink with it rather than requiring them to drink it out of the vial, but it still only causes 2 Body damage, which is so minor that you'd be better off hitting them a few times with any kind of weapon.

In short, never make a Cause Light Wounds/Damage potion/elixir.

Waylay, I find, is not a terribly useful skill unless you plan to fight a lot of other low level player characters. A number of common monster types commonly encountered are immune, and even on those it can be effectively used on it relies on your physical ability to catchange them unawares at arm's reach.

Curses! Foiled by necromancy again! I suppose I just saw light wounds and assumed cure due to the scarcity of cause light potions.

Yes you may force feed an unconscious body but if your intent it to see their resurrection I'd recommend a killing blow and dodge the necromancy charge being added to a list of heinous offences ;)

Huh... That makes more sense, yes. I'm just trying to find SOME justification for making those potions.

If you've Waylaid someone and they're therefore helpless enough for you to feed them one of those stupid potions/elixirs, you'd be better off just hitting them with a weapon if you wanted to do 2 damage to them (or just administering a Killing Blow if you want them dead). I reiterate: Never make a Cause Light Wounds/Damage potion/elixir. ;)

Fiiiiine. I guess you may be right. I think I've decided to scrap spell casting and formal and all that and just go for making Everything. Scrolls, potions, blacksmithing, alchemy. Traps seem too... Situational.

Back