New player questions

You hit the nail on the head. Blacksmith, Create Scroll, Create Potion, and Alchemy are all good skills, but traps are seldom used, and devoting any build to Create Trap is a typically regarded as a waste (especially since you need a number of ranks of Create Trap to make any of the particularly good traps).

I think (from my limited understanding) that the only real use for create trap is to pump it full of ranks and then make traps for cabins (and it seems it would only be useful if no one else could make those traps allowing you to charge obscene costs).

Yep, and in this particular chapter's home site there exists... one cabin. The rest of the in-game housing is part of the tavern, which has some sort of effect on it that makes taking aggressive game skill actions within impossible.

Are there any fight practices coming up soon or are they only happening next year, seeing as it's getting cold.

Question! Is the 9th level earth spell "Life" the only way to avoid reserection after death? Or can a potion be made?

While some Local Chapter Only potions may exist; at this time the most common and widespread method to bring someone from dead to living is a "life" spell.

We are having a work weekend and little fight practice up at the camp Matta site Friday 14th and Saturday 15th if you wanted to come check it out and earn goblin stamps that can be used to get you a bit of extra build to start with. If you need a ride let us know, more details are on the facebook page.

-Andrea

Would it be alright to carry a wooden staff as a walking staff? It wouldn't be used it combat. Or would that come across as a combat weapon that wasn't safe?

That should be fine but I'd try to keep it away from combat either way. Keeping in mind that it also can't be used to block either, it counts as a personal possession and if a weapon hits it you would take the damage. But I'm not a Marshal so a Marshal should confirm.

its if a spell hits it you take damage, not a weapon, but don't cheese it, it's not safe for the other foam weapons to be hitting a wooden staff. I believe.

Rules Marshal clarification: You cannot block weapons/spells/poisons/anything with a non-foam weapon, which includes a big wooden stick. Anything that hits it will be considered just the same as if it hit you directly.

Question: would half of a contact lens case (one side) work as a valid phys rep for potions, alchemy, and the like?

P.S. Assuming yes, would it be acceptable to glue these onto a belt of some such, or would I have to be able to take them off to use them?

Unfortunately not :(

They're too small. The rep needs to be a minimum size. The requirements are in the rule book. Somewhere....

We often use the vials you see for bubbles at the end of a wedding.

I believe they need to meet or exceed a certain dimension but I could be wrong.

I'm pretty sure I can make it to the work weekend, but I'd only be able to come for about 4-5 hours Saturday morning. Would that still be alright?

That would be a great help and chance to meet some of the folks.

Potion/alchemy vials- they need to be a certain size, but don't need to be filled. Most people carry a few extras with them to game, and anyone who makes potions/alchemy brings a lot extra since we use a lot. I personally just order test tube vials in bulk to split with other people.

From my experience...
Potions and scrolls are useful to have rarely used spells on hand without memorizing them. Alchemy has unique weapon coatings and gases that allow you to turn coin into extra firepower when you need it. Blacksmithing is either you getting one rank to be able to fix armor, or twenty to get the bonus ability to repair armor faster- the rest is kinda just OK unless you have other skills to back it up.
Traps- they can be really useful in the right place and time, but you need to wait to find that time. Just 4-5 ranks will allow you to make area effect traps, which you can set up in battle (either at a lull, while getting cover from a friend with a shield, or in preparation before the fight or when falling back) Doing up to 50 damage in a 10 foot radius is really effective in taking out a wave of enemies. Plus, massive mechanical traps are one of the few things that allow players to do massive damage- which allows you to hurt enemies hiding in wards and circles of power. So, not useful all the time, but really useful at the right times.

If you do want to do lots of crafting, it is very helpful, but make sure you also take a weapon skill to defend yourself with too, for when you can't avoid a fight.

Just my two cents.

So I could be quite effective (albeit not very often being coin fed) in battle at times if I was purely a crafter (though not until higher crafting levels and a weapon skill would help getting there).

Back