Paragon Packages Update

The staff has worked over the last few weeks to re-evaluate the paragon packages based on player feedback and our own impressions. To that end the following changes have been enacted (the main posting in Chapter Policies has been updated to reflect these):

All costs have been reduced. In addition, players choosing to use a magic item pick gained by NPCing can earn an additional discount.

The Racial Paragon packages have been substantially reworked with an eye towards more equal balance between races and improved variety. Check your race again, it's probably cooler!

Several changes were made to the Martial (class) Packages. Most significant were a significant rework of the scholar packages, as there are now 4 celestial only packages and 4 earth only packages with no packages unaligned. Many existing packages were also improved. Additionally, all instances of the skill Assassinate were removed from Martial Packages and replaced with other skills. Lastly, one templar package and one adept package had a Magic ability replaced by a Spellstrike.

The Ice elemental Prime power Frozen Fortress was improved and the Flame prime power Phoenix Rebirth was replaced with a new ability, Elder Dragon's Breath. Finally, every Prime elemental power now has an additional associated benefit and drawback.

Please pose any questions in this thread.

A link directly to the Paragon paths would be great for those of us reduced to using a "smart" phone to look at the forums.

Just to clarify... if I purchase the Martial Earth Scholar "Healer" package, do I choose one of those things? Or do I get all of them?

Each entry lists a package of benefits which are all gained for one purchase at the listed price. So you would gain 45 points of Magic Healing, 2 Cloaks vs. the effect group (or groups) of your choosing, and the self-healing from healing others benefit listed all for the low, low price of 200 gobbies!

A single player could potentially have, over the course of one weekend:

Three tiers of Racial Paragon power.
Three separate Martial paragon power.
One prime Elemental Touched power.
And as many Major and Minor Elemental Touched powers as they wish to pump gobbies into.

Using my own PC, Angrag, as an example, and further assuming that he has been contacted in-game by a representative of the Plane of Flame and been Flame Touched, I could have:

Two extra Resist Fears (High Orc Tier 1)
Two extra Slays (High Orc Tier 1, Berserker)
The ability to expend a Resist Fear and reduce incoming damage to save myself from death (High Orc Tier 2)
The altered effect of healing 15 Body every time a Slay resolves (High Orc Tier 3)
+1 damage with all weapons (Berserker)
Two extra Shatters (Berserker)
Two extra Parries (Defender)
Two extra Ripostes (Defender)
Two extra Disarms (Duelist)
Two extra Cloaks against Summoned Force (Duelist)
Twenty-five extra Body (High Orc Tier 3, Defender)
A one-time use of a "Dragon's Breath Storm" (Flame Prime)
A weekend-long Planar Asylum effect for the Elemental Plane of Flame (Flame Prime)
Suffer double damage against Ice - a small price to pay! (Flame Prime)
The ability to channel Flame (Flame Major)

Total cost: 1350 Goblin Points.

AND, if I still wasn't done buying up sweet powers, I could add:

As many multiples of 100 Elemental Flame burst pools as I want (Flame Major)
As many Guards against Ice as I want (Flame Minor)
and as many Cloaks against Flame as I want (Flame Minor).

It is completely worthwhile and totally sweet to donate to NH and/or NPC for us.

Where is the discount listed on the policy?

Question for Biata. The resists to body packets, is that any resists you have, or just the ones granted by the lower tier?
--bill

Steve: I quoted some unfinalized numbers, and have removed that statement from my post. It is, however, our intention to give people who NPC a discount on using these packages.

Bill: Any and all of your Resists, including build-bought and purchased via paragon package, can be converted into mind bullets.

Im taking out every yak at 200 yards.
Bill

Does the tier two ability for Dwarves allow a Master Blacksmith to refit armor in only 15 seconds? (Master Blacksmiths refit armor in 30 seconds, -15 seconds for the Paragon package)

Vry: It sure does.

Yeah. Bet you wish you were a dwarf who spent 40 build on Blacksmith, now.

Damn, son. I need to buy more ranks of Blacksmith.

And to be a Dwarf.

Re: Chapter Policies

What is the proper call for taking a carrier as normal damage? Is it Altered Effect, or something else? What about when recovering body with one of the paragon abilities?

A few additional changes:

Rearranged the placement of some benefits in the Scout packages to improve thematic feel.
Tweaked the Templar packages, switching two skills for thematic reasons and changing Magic Spell Shield to Parry in Spellspire.
Adjusted wording in Healer package for earth Scholars to better reflect that only spells from memory that cure body damage are applicable.
Moved one Riposte from Defender to Duelist for Fighters.

By popular demand, redesigned High Orc tier 2: it is now a survival oriented ability that won't generate absurdity in some niche circumstances.

Re: Chapter Policies

wowy319 said:
What is the proper call for taking a carrier as normal damage? Is it Altered Effect, or something else? What about when recovering body with one of the paragon abilities?

The correct call is "Altered Effect". When restoring lost Body points via the use of any ability that is not an effect from the Healing effect group the healed player should state "Healed".

High Orc Tier 2 is still very good.

Resist fear is now a 2 build poor man's parry.

I really cant imagine an orc NOT donating enough to spend the build on those abilities.

I am just trying to figure out a way to make my relationship with the Healer package Facebook official.

The Tier 2 High Orc package doesn't work when you're already at 1 Body. If you get hit again while you're at 1 Body, you still fall over. It's good, but not "2 build for parries" good.

Also, bear in mind that you actually have to Resist Fear for the healing to kick in, not just expend the skill, so you can't stand in one place and tank-heal yourself with your resists.

Back