Petition for Flame Storm

Hey I thought I'd start a thread because this is actually something I'd really like to see and perhaps be voted on by the owners about. Perhaps everyone could get an idea how other folks feel with a thread dedicated to this. =)

I'd really like to see Dragon's Breath re-named to be called Flame Storm. Its called that in the Italics description in the rulebook, (Arcevol's Flame Storm) and it would fit in with the system much more sensibly. In fact when I was a new player I was really kind of confused by what this strange spell "Dragon's Breath" was. Now while I know that it sounds dam cool, (I certainly have fun calling that) it is one of the last spells that doesn't fit in the system. Now I wouldn't mind having specialized calls for all the spells but as it is the calls are more standardized and it would make more logical (any Stone Elves out there? =D) sense for it to be a Flame Storm.

You have Stone, Lightning, Ice, Flame as the types and the Bolts and Storms. Storms are SCARY! =P (Or at least they should be...) and hey Flame Storm doesn't sound all that bad either. ^_^

Personally when I call a storm I have the idea in my head of a hail of the smaller bolts smashing into the recipient.

Imo, it dosent matter. It is honestly the easiest evocation to remember damage wise(from when I started at least), and I think its good that new players can at least memorize one easily. Some people are sticklers for consistency...Im not really, especially with so many other inconsistencies (mostly between powers PC can gain, and NPCs can gain). I can see the merit in having everything standardized to be easy to remember, but it just gets eh bland, sometimes. Once again IMO, more evocation spells should have cool deviations, keep the incant the same, but spice up the name, or something, if it gets to tough to remember, add the damage to the end.

I like Dragon's Breath honestly. It's a little inconsistent, but it sounds awesome in-game. And yeah, maybe as a new player i don't know exactly how much damage it did, but I know I got hit with a big ball of flame. As a new player, the name is really irrelevant - I wouldn't know what a Flame Storm did either, except a whole lot of flame damage. *shrug*

Honestly if I had my choice I'd have cooler names for all the 2nd tier evocation spells, but that's never going to happen.

I agree with Ezri.

Walk up to any person their first time getting an Alliance book they will not know what either does. Ask them. They will stare at you. Everyone starts out new. Everyone else is helpful, if you don't know what a spell does when hit I used to say 'that does---?' the caster would say '# damage' i would say ah got it, then fall down. (elven casters are a wee bit weak. lol)

Though it is inconsistent I am with Mike V on this. Please keep your hands off of my dragons breath. It is the only spell that sounds cool. I am not freaked out by bolts and storms. Blasts those are scary. Dragons breaths are scary, so are prisons. Storm doesn't do it for me. I love dragon's breath...

I like it this way, Please owners if you are going to 'fix' something with cel casters please spend time working elsewhere. I know all of you have little time as running a chapter is time consuming and can be rough. But I think your efforts could be used elsewhere. Please dont 'fix' good things.

I heard through the boards there are changes coming. I would love to know when these may take effect. Do we have to wait an entire season for improvements that may have passed to help our class? I hope not.

can't wait 'til fall

Well I wasn't arguing for it as a 'fix' per say, more from a consistency standpoint but I do agree Dragon's Breath is cool. Perhaps if people want it to go the other way the other Storms should be different.

Stone Storm = Crushing Rock
Lightning Storm = Electric Shock
Ice Storm = Winters Frostbite

Just some ideas to throw around out there... although I still would rather Flame Storm.

Personally I would much rather see a rules change such that damage must be called with any damaging spell. For instance:

"I call forth an Ice Bolt! 15 Ice!"

"I call forth a Dragon's Breath! 40 Flame!"

"I call upon Chaos to Cause Light Wounds! 2 Chaos!"

"I call upon Earth to Cure Serious Wounds! 10 Healing!"

This would make things much, MUCH easier for new players, and make it so you can name spells whatever you want.

Many people have been advocating this change for quite some time ;)

-Bryan

So would that be: "With Eldritch Force I build a Prison, for 10 minutes or until released you can't do anything! That's right, anything!"

I'd rather see all levels of eldritch magic be changed to match how elemental blast works. so you can choose which element you are throwing at any given time.

I agree with Rob, and have suggested that in the past. I think it would sincerely be one of the most major steps to fixing the class over all.
The arcane armor rule that has already been put in place (Ie. levels of formal increase you ability to use arcane armor)
That and the wand proposal(better as a staff but) I called it elemental cantrip.

a few unique spells would round out and finish off any other complaints.

my only issue with having to call the number damage after a spell is now you've just slown down casters even more. The ability to shotgun cast your evok has just been slown down and you're even less useful. I know plenty of people who do say the damage after, but with that they can already let go of the packet and then say how much it did (more of a reminder... "I never realized how effective cel was until after I started saying the damage after"). The friendly reminder def does work and it doesn't slow the caster down.

Jen

Hmmm... Interesting idea.

I don't think I'd change all the evoc spells to be changeable to whatever element, but I might add two spells - one lower one greater - where you can select your element. But I'd counter the versatility with a little less damage.

For example:

Level 4 - Elemental Shard

The caster may choose the element at the time of casting. This spell does 10 points of damage with the chosen carrier.

Verbal: "I call forth an elemental shard - <element>."

Level 8 - Elemental Spike

The caster may choose the element at the time of casting. This spell does 20 points of damage with the chosen carrier.

Verbal: "I call forth an elemental spike - <element>."

So you could choose any of the other three elements if you find out mid-weekend that you're fighting something that is more severely damaged by a particular element.

Really even with the lower damage you aren't losing much. Chances are if you are choosing this spell over flame bolt/dragon's breath, it's because you think (or know) that the thing you're tossing it at would take more damage from that than flame. Of course if you're wrong in your information you run the risk of only doing half damage, where the flame bolt/dragon's breath is a guaranteed 20/40. In the end it doesn't up the damage, but gives you more versatility.

While talking with the other Kuhs the other night, we thought that having all the evocation spells become elemental attacks would be the best thing to boost the evoc school. Not only would it make elemental shields more important to which npcs never seem to have, but your shout the damage and element as the incant.

Wands are doing that right now, but they are rare and expensive...

I would miss the incants in that method, especially after hearing some of the old school ones.

Actually, rethinking my idea, I think it would be better to put shard/spike at 3 and 7 respectively - Ice bolt/storm are least often memorized - especially in chapters where there are a lot of undead. Even at that level, you're still talking 5 pts less damage than the other evocation choice but potentially more bang for your buck if used properly.

Ezri said:
Actually, rethinking my idea, I think it would be better to put shard/spike at 3 and 7 respectively - Ice bolt/storm are least often memorized - especially in chapters where there are a lot of undead. Even at that level, you're still talking 5 pts less damage than the other evocation choice but potentially more bang for your buck if used properly.

Elemental Blast does more damage than Dragon's Breath and has the same adaptability. It's quicker, too: "I call forth a Stone Blast" vs. "I call forth an Element Spike: Stone".

Not to say I don't support the general idea of selectable evocation spells. But with the upcoming new wand addition, I guess I'd be a little hesitant to make a lot more changes to Celestials damage dealing. It wouldn't do to over power the class in the effort to lift it up.

I'd rather do both together. Rather then add on more and more crap to the end, why not drop some of the unnecessary crap?
Leave the evocation spells "I call forth" but end in amount of damage and type. "I call forth 30 Flame," "I call forth 10 Ice," etc.
The incant is about the same length, it contains the amount of damage dealt, making it easier for everyone, and you have the ability to drop in the "change your element on the fly" thing if you want to. (I like it, but not everyone will.)

These things are always a battle between what's cool IG and what's easy OOG. The current system is probably a pretty decent balance between the two, honestly.

Polare said:
Personally I would much rather see a rules change such that damage must be called with any damaging spell. For instance:

"I call forth an Ice Bolt! 15 Ice!"

"I call forth a Dragon's Breath! 40 Flame!"

"I call upon Chaos to Cause Light Wounds! 2 Chaos!"

"I call upon Earth to Cure Serious Wounds! 10 Healing!"

This would make things much, MUCH easier for new players, and make it so you can name spells whatever you want.

Many people have been advocating this change for quite some time ;)

-Bryan

That would uneven the score between casters and "activate" even greater.

Back