Petition for Flame Storm

You can leave the spell names on if you want for logistical and IG discussion purposes. You might have to change them a little to make sense (why call it an Ice Storm if it can be thrown as Flame?) Call the spells lesser bolt (5), Bolt (10), Greater Bolt (15), Super Bolt (20), Lesser Storm (25), Storm (30), Greater Storm (35), Super Storm (40), and Dragon's Breath (45). (Or, seriously, change Super to something else, that sounds silly, but I wanted to put the idea down). Or make them the same convention as healing spells (light, base, serious, crit, mort). Most things don't take double vs. specific elements, but against things that do, that would make C casters way more valuable. Let them mem it as 'reversible,' kind of a Cast on the Fly kind of thing, where the damage and spell slot is reserved, but not the kind of damage. I think it would really help balance out the class, while we're at it.

Leave the names, that way so that people can discuss them IG without saying "Hey Bob, do you have a 30 Stone in memory?" Instead, "Hey Bob, do you have a Storm in memory?"
But drop the call to just be "I call forth ## <element>." It sounds a little less 'cool' in combat, but not any less in RP situations. Consider the fact that while in combat you're surrounded by guys yelling "3 Silver" and "70 Magic Slay," and I don't think that a few extra numbers on the end of a spell is going to make any difference in the atmosphere.

~Matt, WCV

Lesser Bolt, Bolt, Major Bolt, Greater Bolt ...

Or

Minor Bolt, Lesser Bolt, Bolt, Greater Bolt...

Or

Minor Bolt, Lesser Bolt, Improved Bolt, Greater Bolt (similar to how D&D tiers some effects)

I would vote for 'Storm' to be revised to Blast, though. Storm makes me think of an Area Effect spell. Just my opinion.

By the way another way to help cel casters,( that does not add anything to us) is to enforce roleplaying the damage taken from spells.

It's a little hard to take as a cele-caster to hit someone with a dragons breath not cringe when they continue to run at you while they yell got it. If they reacted AT ALL to spell effects that damage it would help us out. It feels far too often, that it is a blitz on the caster. The only thing that balances me out with Joeschmoe sword guy is I can hit him in the chest with a lot of elemental damage, if he reacted to said damage it'd be a lil more even.

For that matter rping damage would be cool in general. I do and always have. Many of the people I have played with do as well. Sadly though the majority of players shrug and say got it far too often.

just an aside sorry for getting off track.
Personally when I call a storm I have the idea in my head of a hail of the smaller bolts smashing into the recipient.

pelted with lots of little flame bolts vs. dragons breath... hmmm

I always imagine the flames coming out of my hand which I imaging looking like me making a shadow puppet of a dragon head so it looks like a dragon head breathing fire... OR (yes I am a dork) has anyone seen the end of harry potter and the order of the phoenix? Voldemort breathes the fire into a dragon. I like both of those images. A bunch of smaller bolts pelting pales in comparison imho, vs. either of these images. Dreamingfurther please don't be insulted, it's just how I see it. I also am a person that liked the, more complicated but far cooler IG incants for the spells, when they where all different.

Ezri said:
I don't think I'd change all the evoc spells to be changeable to whatever element, but I might add two spells - one lower one greater - where you can select your element.

My suggestion for Celestial spells involves mimicking the Turn/Harm/Destroy Undead spells, the the same levels, with Turn/Harm/Destroy <Element>. This would raise Celestial casters' utility with fighting Elemental creatures to a level closer to Earth casters fighting undead.

I sort of like the idea of giving the upper level spells cool names like Dragon's Breath has. Lightning Storm should stay the same, though, since storms are where lightning comes from, so it makes sense as is.

Jorundr said:
A) Telohk you need more avatars in your signature

IT wouldn't let me put my 6th active character. Each avatar is a URL. It told me five URLs is the max in a sig.

You should screenshot the all the avatars, post them on a photo posting site as one picture, and then link to that.

Another possibility, I think, after reading other suggestions, would be to drop "I call forth" from the incants.

So -- "Stone bolt, 5 stone!" or "Dragon's Breath, 40 flame!"

This helps balance the magic item skew Mike mentioned, as you COULD use the new full incant -- "Activate Dragon's Breath, 40 flame!"

I sort of like having the "I call forth a" part of the incant. Somehow it wouldn't feel like invocation to me if one didn't have that. And anyways then you would get into the sticky situation of what to do with all the other calls...

Anyhow I guess there isn't any unified feeling about Dragon's Breath. Oh well, I guess this thread didn't really go the way I hopped but thats ok. =)

I think rather than calling damage, the celestial caster should hand the target a donut. Preferably a Krispy Kreme (maybe Dunkin DOnuts for spells level 1-4, and a Krispy Kreme for above that?) THe length of the duration is how long it takes you to eat it. Gasses can be handled similarly.

Tom H/That Guy

FOIGofWar said:
I think rather than calling damage, the celestial caster should hand the target a donut. Preferably a Krispy Kreme (maybe Dunkin DOnuts for spells level 1-4, and a Krispy Kreme for above that?) THe length of the duration is how long it takes you to eat it. Gasses can be handled similarly.

Tom H/That Guy

Make the lower level spells require Krispy Kremes. They're better and that way we'll get more of them!!!!

Mmmm.

Here is some history to this you might be interested in...

Back when JTF and I would meet for lunch every day and we were working on updating the rule book the Dragon's Breath vs. Flame Storm issue came up. I was very pro Flame Storm since it was logical and nicely fit into all of the other rules. JTF wanted Dragon's Breath to stay because it was "sexy". After several debates the "sexy" argument won.

Michael Hynes

Telokh_Amdo said:
FOIGofWar said:

Tom H/That Guy

Make the lower level spells require Krispy Kremes. They're better and that way we'll get more of them!!!!

Mmmm.

Unfortunately the last Krispy Kreme store closed in MN about 3 months ago due to poor sales...something about all those trans-fats. With that in mind could one consider a "Krispy Kreme Bolt" more of a DoT spell :geek:

Michael Hynes said:

Back when JTF and I would meet for lunch every day and we were working on updating the rule book the Dragon's Breath vs. Flame Storm issue came up. I was very pro Flame Storm since it was logical and nicely fit into all of the other rules. JTF wanted Dragon's Breath to stay because it was "sexy". After several debates the "sexy" argument won.

Michael Hynes

It was good enough for JTF. It's good enough for me.

Sexy spells FTW

Telokh_Amdo said:
FOIGofWar said:

Tom H/That Guy

Mmmm.
What will the upper level spells require? Stale bagels?

Michael Hynes said:

Michael Hynes

I actually remember hearing a similar discussion at my first (and only) rules symposiums way back when... it was all about the sex appeal... and sexy won then too.

- Jessica

Celebolwa said:
It's a little hard to take as a cele-caster to hit someone with a dragons breath not cringe when they continue to run at you while they yell got it. If they reacted AT ALL to spell effects that damage it would help us out. It feels far too often, that it is a blitz on the caster. The only thing that balances me out with Joeschmoe sword guy is I can hit him in the chest with a lot of elemental damage, if he reacted to said damage it'd be a lil more even.

For that matter rping damage would be cool in general. I do and always have. Many of the people I have played with do as well. Sadly though the majority of players shrug and say got it far too often.
Unfortunately, the "roleplay out damage" thing is only fair if everyone does it. Otherwise those who do are punished by loosing a whole load of combat effectiveness. It makes the game much more realistic, though, and I would love to see more people stumbling about like they just got a bolt of eldritch lightning shot through their shoulder when hit with a spell. I need to work on it more myself, but when I'm hit with a weapon I'm usually on the ground so fast I don't have time to react to much.

Yea I also try to react and role-play damage but when weapons start getting close to me I am so concerned about getting out of their reach (before I too drop) I can often "fall down" on that score. =P hehe

As far as roleplaying damage goes, the biggest issue that I've seen falls into the "cry wolf" problem. There have been a few limited times in combat that I have reacted to a weapon blow as if I really had been struck, and have had a hold called to make sure I was ok. While I appreciated the concern, it was discouraging to see my RP be misinterpreted. I have on many occasions limped up to healers holding my sides, and most of them stop me to ask me if I'm alright OOG. I tell them I'm fine, I'm just RPing. Not sure if there is a soulution or even if one is needed, just sharing my thoughts

~ Tim

Back