Petition for Flame Storm

I was talking about reacting to spell effects not weapon effects. There ia a huge difference. One you are being hit by little packets, the other you are struck by a possibly broken weapon etc.

But why say, you have to RP damage from spells, but not from weapon blows? What about an arrow. Its a packet but not a spell. The point I was saying is that while it is great to react appropriately to damage, it can get confusing.

I've had many conversations with people regarding the fact that many people react no differently when they have full body then they do when they only have one. I know for me part of my issue is that because I'm not in any real physical pain, I often forget that I am even "hurt" IG.

When a spell like ice storm hits me, I'm usually too busy trying to figure out what amount of damage I'm taking from it, how much body/armor I have left, and if it is enough to drop me, along with all that its difficult to think about that fact that an evocation of elemental ice shards are currently pelting my body and that along with stinging very badly as my flesh is being flayed that it is also instantly cauterizing the wounds with frostbite and therefore I would be feel very cold, if not falling over and bleeding out.

While the idea is cool and interesting to think about while not actually playing, most players (myself included) can't always process every aspect of what is going on into the true RP representation. My argument for not reacting to spells unless they are actually taking me down, is the one of that IG my character in the middle of combat is so hyped up on the adrenaline (and for that fact me IRL am too) that am not properly taking in what is physically happening to my body or feeling the full amount of pain that I normally would.

once again, just my thoughts on the matter

~Tim

I often like to come limping back from an encounter if I'm burned down on body for effect, but during combat I avoid doing it simply because of the previously discussed issue with holds being called to make sure I'm okay. (Us old people are fragile after all :mrgreen: )

When I PC I often try and actually bandage other PCs and myself when I apply First Aid, and then try and "act out" any wounds/effects that I myself may have taken.

Btw, I found out that by actually pulling out and applying the bandages that the other PCs often became much more protective of one another as a group, especially of those who had "proof" that they had been "injured."

But I digress...

I agree RP bandages are cool. And there is a fine line to be able to tell the difference between RP damage and OOG hurt... =\ When I'm an NPC at least and I'm hit with something big like an Ice Storm or Dragon's Breath that I take I generally hurl myself backwards either onto the ground or almost if it didn't drop me... =)

I never said do not roleplay damage from weapons. Someone said it isn't safe as it causes a 'boy who cried wolf' scenario (which I think is untrue, but everyone has their own opinion) if you role play damage.

My entire point was to say the only thing that keeps casters balanced at all with all the other classes is if targets roleplay damage. If you do not, a fighter will nearly always roll over a caster by saying 'got it' and almost charging him, destroying his measly body is a few swings while the caster tries to studder the incants between hits.

I do roleplay my damage from packets, weapons effects etc. as it is a roleplaying game. I feel too much of the combat is fast and furious and about winning and less about roleplaying/ staying in character. The chapter I have played my primary in, is usually pretty good about roleplaying during combat.

I don't think it is too much to ask people to roleplay at a roleplaying game.

I would agree that its more fun the more people work hard at "role-playing" combat rather than just "winning". To be honest and I will admit this happens more when I'm an NPC I enjoy the whole "feel" of a battle sometimes more than the outcome of the fight. For example sometimes when I'm a big caster I'll even deliberately throw packets whizzing by peoples heads to get the sense of spells flying all around and not just always nailing folks with Cause Mortals until they drop... =P

Let's see.

For spells? One-step rule. If an evocation hits and deals damage, the force drives the target one step in roughly the opposite direction. (if multiple ones hit at once, it's still one step.). This will kill forward velocity or stagger someone (from the side) but not knock the target down, nor force targets into an OOG harmful area.

Stopping power would go a long way to making evocations effective and make more of a difference between people tossing chaos/healing vs. bolts and storms.

Also, all for making the top evocations less boringly named. Blizzard, Thunderbolt, Avalanche, Dragon's Breath?

Far as RPing wounds, that's an ancient pet peeve but it's part of the hit point system. We're 100 percent from full body to one. I'd love to see "If you're below half body, you cannot run" or the like.

Kayden said:
As far as roleplaying damage goes, the biggest issue that I've seen falls into the "cry wolf" problem.

Is actually what I said. I never said don't RP taking damage. I understand that this is in fact a Roleplaying game, and that to make the world more imersive it is better when we all roleplay. HOWEVER, because this is RP much of what is happening IG must be imagined by us OOG. IG I just got blasted with a dragons breath, OOG I realize that unless I have a Spell shield I done. But if I was running up to attack a caster and I get hit with a Flame bolt, I might just say got it and continue my "charge". Like I has said before, its not that my character didn't react to it because I just didn't want to RP the damage, I might yell and just keep coming because as I fighter, my character has learned to deal with taking lots of punishment to his body.

Celebolwa said:
My entire point was to say the only thing that keeps casters balanced at all with all the other classes is if targets roleplay damage. If you do not, a fighter will nearly always roll over a caster by saying 'got it' and almost charging him, destroying his measly body is a few swings while the caster tries to studder the incants between hits.

This I feel is selling casters too short. "the only thing to keep caster balanced" is to RP the damage? Why not just throw a pin or two at that charging fight. I'll bet most likely after two pins he won't be charging you any more. But what if he is closer than that? Then unless you throw big to take them down with one hit, they're going to hit you regardless of how much they RP the damage taken.

Besides I wasn't encouraging anyone NOT to RP. If fact if more people did RP damage there would me much less confusion. Let people call out a hold for themselves if they are actually in real pain or danger. It would be great if every bit of damage could be Roleplay or represented, but in a game where healing is prevalent (at least to a point) we often think we'll just walk over to the doc and have us fixed in a jiffy. But now I feel like I'm rambling.

~Tim

Requiring RP is dangerous. Alliance combat often has more holds than anything I have been aparty to, with the only challenge a game I am involved in where it is required. it is a nice idea, has lost of effects, but the biggest one is confusion, especially when you get into a massed melee where you don't even know everything going on around you. I also disagree casters need that crutch. Binding is a decent solution, though it is often so ineffective I will never waste time with a pin spell. Maybe that is my style though. As for Dragons breath, I really don't care much for the waste of a good spell name on a spell that almost never drops anything. I think I have more drops with Ice storms than Dragons Breaths. Go figure.

Joe S.

Simon said:
Requiring RP is dangerous.

Good gawd, I hope not. Maybe then people wouldn't react with surprise and panic when you take 99% of your body points in one shot and actually react like someone who's had his life mostly torn from their flesh. Live action RPG and all. Part of the reason there's occasional holds when someone actually RPs damage is....few people RP damage. Call me strange, but I get a kick out of battles where both parties actually act like they're taking damage, as opposed to seeing who can say "4 normal" faster while doing the two-sword secret handshake. When that NPC playing the BBEG monster doesn't just go "down" and sits down, but claws helplessly at your sword in it's chest, gurgles nastily and drops dead in a heap.

Alliance combat often has more holds than anything I have been aparty to, with the only challenge a game I am involved in where it is required. it is a nice idea, has lost of effects, but the biggest one is confusion, especially when you get into a massed melee where you don't even know everything going on around you. I also disagree casters need that crutch. Binding is a decent solution, though it is often so ineffective I will never waste time with a pin spell. Maybe that is my style though. As for Dragons breath, I really don't care much for the waste of a good spell name on a spell that almost never drops anything. I think I have more drops with Ice storms than Dragons Breaths. Go figure.

Joe S.

All I gotta say on that one is trolls be combustable. Though I was always more fond of a shieldbreaker, followed with Enflame and then Flame Bolt. Toasty! (Yes, my scholar was Celestial blast-a-lot.)

Back