Playing human

On the other hand, why encourage more humans?

Races add a LOT to the game, and provide lots of extra plot that evolves even if the Plot Committee does nothing. They make the fantasy world more real.

I like having lots of different races in the game. The less humans the better, I say. :D ;)

a game and game world with humans as a minority would be very interesting.
-dawson

Lok said:
-dawson

Some events, it certainly FEELS like humans are a minority.

Especially with all those elves around. Bloody PEF's. :p

Why shouldn't humans be encouraged to have all the roleplay piccadillos and nuances that all the other races are? We have pages and pages of culture that, frankly, could be just as easily made central to playing a human.

Fearless Leader said:
On the other hand, why encourage more humans?...

...The less humans the better, I say. :D ;)

I definitely get the feeling that humans are unwanted ilk when I read the book and find absolutely no section talking about them as a race in the game, and seeing no entry for them in the advantages/disadvantages list... and then there's the fact that they have no race packet.

I get the feeling tptb would be happy as clams if the race didn't exist.

Well seeing as how humans are referred to as 'boring' in the rulebook (pg 38), I can understand the lack of a pro-human attitude. ;) I have found that it is much more worthwhile to simply glue some eartips on OR just wear furs and get the racial bonuses and some of the love that humans seem to miss.

If I was to run a chapter, I'd simply make it that only humans can hold positions of power - or that other races REALLY have to put in twice the time and effort that a human does to get to the same level of nobility.

Yay humans!! <---- pro human jazzmatazz :D I actually like playing a human and I think it is perfect for my first character because it gives me the opportunity to see far more experienced players play other races. It also gave me something familiar when I stepped into an entirely unfamiliar game/game world. I get to approach completely foreign races as a human would, full of awe and wonder.
-Dawson

Lok said:
-dawson

Humans are always a minority at Ashbury events.

Here are our August numbers:

Barbarian 1
Biata 6
Dark Elf 1
Dwarf 2
Elf 8
Gypsy 3
High Orc 2
Human 2
Mystic Wood Elf 2
Sarr 1
Stone Elf 2

Fearless Leader said:
Lok said:
-dawson

Humans are always a minority at Ashbury events.

Here are our August numbers:

Barbarian 1
Biata 6
Dark Elf 1
Dwarf 2
Elf 8
Gypsy 3
High Orc 2
Human 2
Mystic Wood Elf 2
Sarr 1
Stone Elf 2

Technically every race is a minority in those numbers. Though, as Mike has clearly shown, humans aren't even the plurality. In the past, humans have consistently been either the plurality or even occasionally the majority in Ashbury, though that is much less common in the past few years. To be perfectly above board, though, the human numbers for this event were significantly lower than usual. Humans are usually in the top 3 at Ashbury events.

-MS

I know that humans were in high supply at the Oregon 3-day event. They had at least twice the numbers of all the other races and in most cases 3-4 times.

markusdark said:
Well seeing as how humans are referred to as 'boring' in the rulebook (pg 38), I can understand the lack of a pro-human attitude. ;) I have found that it is much more worthwhile to simply glue some eartips on OR just wear furs and get the racial bonuses and some of the love that humans seem to miss.

If I was to run a chapter, I'd simply make it that only humans can hold positions of power - or that other races REALLY have to put in twice the time and effort that a human does to get to the same level of nobility.

Sounds like Crossroads!!!! :lol: :lol: on both sides....great game!!!!!

First, I hate posting here, but I'm going to because this is an interesting discussion for me (at least right now), let's take this to the next step, shall we?

I question whether or not humans are even a legal PC race. The rulebook certainly does not clearly support Humans as a playable race for its PC's.

While humans are vaguely referred to in the rulebook, it is as a common and boring race, there is no section dedicated to them in the rulebook; even the part of the book that deals with the different races of Fortannis does not have any information on them, nor are they listed in any of the racial graphs and charts.

Further, there has been a great deal of discussion recently about how out-of-game or real world terms and thought processes effect the game as a whole, and how it's generally seen as a Bad Thing™. Why then do humans in this game not have their own culture as defined within the game world itself, instead of relying on other games, game worlds, and the real world, to define how they look and act, or what sort of "racial traits" define (or not) the group as a whole? PC races must have a race packet for players to read and adhere to, right? But humans do not require this, why not?

One can say, "you are a human ever day", but what does that have to do with the game and the game world? We don't live on Fortannis, humans don't necessarily have the same influences and history on Fortannis. For example, the Persians, Romans, and Greeks never existed on Fortannis as far as I know. So how did this so-called "medieval" culture come about? FOIG? Why should a human player have to do that, while a Biata or Barbarian or Elf player can simply read their race packet for more basic information about the game world? Why are new players punished in this way if they choose to play a Human?

When I first started playing (9ish years ago), I had to make up my own background/history/homeland (something that's basically against the rules) because there was literally no information available to me about the local in-game world, nor was it readily available to me in-game because I was new. I feel that it detracted from my ability to role play, to feel as though I had been living in the world.

So really, why are PC's allowed to play humans? And why are they allowed to given that there's so little thought, input, rulebook information, and guidelines about them? It seems rather arbitrary to me to dismiss this as a case of "that's just how it's always been", and is a horrible reason not to try and change things to improve the game and its world. If I am playing a D&D human, then the rulebook should say that. The rulebook should say something about humans, if humans are a legal PC race. It doesn't. So I question their validity as a PC race.

If we don't want humans then don't offer them as an option. If they are an option they deserve the same treatment as any other races, I started playing human for OOG reasons (make-up and latex allergies) I stuck with it because I was forced to create my own culture and didn't want to lose the work put in. Stating that we don't want humans IG is insulting to the hours put into making humans just as interesting as other races. I would dare go so far to say as it takes more ability to role-play humans well than a race that comes with a manual.

We have a human packet in Deadlands. I think Crossroads does too. Perhaps, things are changing, albeit slowly?

Humans rock. the most interesting people i have met in the game are humans, and I've been playing since 96-97 (as a human)

Robb Graves said:
Humans rock. the most interesting people i have met in the game are humans, and I've been playing since 96-97 (as a human)

That's because none of the other races will talk to Nathan, because he's, you know, boring. :lol:

WARNING: Critical statement ahead: WARNING

:lol: Playing a human is for lazy players. :lol:

(not really -- I'm just baiting the players who play humans)

If you want a HUMAN race packet in your chapter, write one -- your game's owners/managers should be able to gobby you for it. You might want to talk to PLOT before hand about any special information they might want to make sure is include in the race packet -- and be prepared to edit it based on owner/manager input.

"If you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem."
- Eldridge Cleaver, 1968 (Oxford Dictionary of Proverbs)

bait TAKEN!!!!!!!!!

i don't think so (even jokingly). I think some lazy players make human characters sure.... but in my experience, it's the human characters (who don't always have the benefit of a race packet and cultural history to fall back on) that are the ones who make the most creative backgrounds and interesting personalities. They have to make their "boring human" fit into a fantasy world filled with elves, orcs, kingdoms, undead... They have to think... "where am i from?" "what was i raised to believe about X?", "what has happened to me to lead me to a life of adventuring?".

Humans can love or hate necromancy, eldritch magics, command magics, any weapon, any race, any society.

I don't "have to" wear prosthetics or makeup, but I could. I am regularly spirit stored into a mercury golem (and am therefor silver), many humans I have met have scars, tattoos, and interesting stories about how they got each of them.

Playing a human frees you to be creative.

Back