Playing human

jpariury said:
Robb Graves said:
jpariury said:
other than being a human is apparently boring and a punishment.
your opinion.
No, that's what is more or less stated by the rulebook. Pg 38: "If you do not, you will not be allowed to continue playing the race and will be forcibly changed into a boring human."

That was supposed to be funny!

Content-Product-2066p_0c_ZoomM.jpg

I would just like to see a human race packet. That is all. You can't say that humans are identical to the one's in this world anymore than you can call a boffer a "real" sword.

Robb Graves said:

I dont understand why you would say he is.....the fact that you reply that it was his feelings...but all he showed was what the rule book states.......no need to resort to name calling....

I play a human because...well I dont like make up...or I should say it doesnt like me...which is why I "race changed" my character the first time I could and became human....

Fearless Leader said:
That was supposed to be funny!
This is what comes from extracting half of a statement and trying to build a case against it. The discussion is about the lack of Alliance-wide support as a distinct race that should be fun to play. Every race receives a bit of nifty story, some tips on good ways to play up your race, and so on. Humans do not. No one is giving you specifics on what should be included in an Alliance-wide race packet for humans because they don't know what would be considered kosher for declaring "this is what it is to be human". The best they have to go on is that the rulebook rather implies that playing a human is a "soft" choice, something that is dull to play and will be used as a punishment. (The rulebook never suggests that you might get forcibly race changed into a gypsy if you act too flamboyantly, for instance) You've even gone so far as to suggest that players should not be encouraged to play humans, and implied that they do not add much to the game. (Not picking on you, just pointing out that the attitude is indicative of the general thrust of the statement - playing human is or should be undesirable.)

I don't think it untoward to say that the Alliance game discourages playing humans through lack of a national packet and story. As I've mentioned, there are clear things that Alliance humans are not allowed to do in certain combinations, despite those being very normal human things to do.

In my mind, the human race packet would start out with a story about how they were once the rule of what you might find in the world, and that they've quickly (over the past twenty years or so) become the exception. It could be a story of racial pride and scoffing at the slow learning capabilities of the elves or being "higher cultured" than the barbars and gypsies. Pretty much everything that you do for every other race - come up with a cool story that gives a picture of what life is like as a human in the Alliance world. Then you'd go on to roleplay and makeup tips, to point out which things you can do and which ones you can't. (Matt, aka obcidian_bandit, can never play a human black guy.) (Not saying Matt specifically needs to be an example, just giving an example of what you cannot do while playing a human)

i could not disagree with the "need" for this more. All of what JP is saying could be put into a local players guide for your chapter and a quick blurb in the rule book about humans as a race.

K.I.S.S.

Robb Graves said:
i could not disagree with the "need" for this more.
Sure you could. You could have arguments and reasons why you believe race packets for Alliance races are detrimental to the game. Thus far, all I've seen are a lot "I don't wanna" and "I don't know how".

jpariury said:
Robb Graves said:
i could not disagree with the "need" for this more.
Sure you could. You could have arguments and reasons why you believe race packets for Alliance races are detrimental to the game. Thus far, all I've seen are a lot "I don't wanna" and "I don't know how".

no, i really couldn't... you see, i don't believe race packets are detrimental to the game. in fact, i've never said that. I've never said "I don't wanna" or I don't know how" either. I have said "it's a bad idea", and "you don't need one".

I believe a human race packet would be:

a) restrictive
b) a waste of time and effort when there are far more important things to do for the game (why don't you champion a new trap system?)
c) continuing the effort to complicate the rules system in the spirirt of "we should really define everything the charm, dominate and every other spell ever could possibly do... because restricting people to do only 5 things is somehow supposed to be more fun than... i don't know, being creative and working together to make the best game using the spirit of the rules"

evi1r0n said:
I would just like to see a human race packet. That is all. You can't say that humans are identical to the one's in this world anymore than you can call a boffer a "real" sword.

Look at the Crossroad's (Catskills Chapter) player's handbook for an extremely in-depth Human race packet. A human you choose to play could come from there, or if you'd just looking for funsies then you could just read it. It's wicked cheap and a very good player's handbook IMHO. You will find that these particular humans (Mercadians) are xenophobic, they have sheltered themselves away from the other races and basically find themselves superior. I'm putting into a nutshell what is actually very complex, it's got a history and entire culture write up on humans and hints and tips for playing a Mercadian Human.

Robb Graves said:
no, i really couldn't... you see, i don't believe race packets are detrimental to the game.
Why is a human race packet restrictive iyo, but an elf or sarr packet isn't? Or, if you prefer, why does a sarr packet get considered "world broadening" but a human packet doesn't?

(why don't you champion a new trap system?)
My brother-in-law has that angle covered. I got this one. Next one we decide on a coin flip.

continuing the effort to complicate the rules system in the spirirt of "we should really define everything the charm, dominate and every other spell ever could possibly do... because restricting people to do only 5 things is somehow supposed to be more fun than... i don't know, being creative and working together to make the best game using the spirit of the rules"
I don't know that anyone has been approaching this from that perspective. The arguments in favor that I've seen have been about making players who choose human feel more included in the tapestry of the game. Did I miss something somewhere?

jpariury said:
Robb Graves said:
no, i really couldn't... you see, i don't believe race packets are detrimental to the game.
Why is a human race packet restrictive iyo, but an elf or sarr packet isn't? Or, if you prefer, why does a sarr packet get considered "world broadening" but a human packet doesn't?
they all are. that is what they do. they tell you how to dress, how to act, how to think about X.

jpariury said:
Robb Graves said:
continuing the effort to complicate the rules system in the spirirt of "we should really define everything the charm, dominate and every other spell ever could possibly do... because restricting people to do only 5 things is somehow supposed to be more fun than... i don't know, being creative and working together to make the best game using the spirit of the rules"
I don't know that anyone has been approaching this from that perspective. The arguments in favor that I've seen have been about making players who choose human feel more included in the tapestry of the game. Did I miss something somewhere?
I disagree. The arguments set forth here (inclusion by restriction???) are the same used to argue in favor of the nerfing of spells. "i don't interpert X the same way as your chapter, and my character wouldn't tell the truth to his best friend if he were dominated, so lets define a short list of things that the entire game system can and cannot do"

The fact remains, local players guides can do what you are proposing without nationally restricting the entire alliance human race.

At least a human section in the book would be helpful. There are guidelines for playing a human, but they're crammed in the Disguises section where no one sees them. Throw Humans on the races chart at least. Write a paragraph or two, take a quick photo of some nerd in a microsoft t-shirt for the race picture, and you're good to go. :p At least show that they're a viable race in some way and get that disguise stuff in there. I could go either way on an entire race packet after that, but apparently JP's got this one covered for the both of us.

jpariury said:
(why don't you champion a new trap system?)
My brother-in-law has that angle covered. I got this one. Next one we decide on a coin flip.
I'm three proposals in. :p

obcidian_bandit said:
At least a human section in the book would be helpful. There are guidelines for playing a human, but they're crammed in the Disguises section where no one sees them. Throw Humans on the races chart at least. Write a paragraph or two, take a quick photo of some nerd in a microsoft t-shirt for the race picture, and you're good to go. :p At least show that they're a viable race in some way and get that disguise stuff in there. I could go either way on an entire race packet after that, but apparently JP's got this one covered for the both of us.

i agree, humans should be listed as a race in the rule book with a paragraph or two about them.

Nothing wrong with humans being a local-race-packet thing only, with National human being "Hey, you're flexible and come from a wide variety of cultures...roll with it."

In fact, even having a local packet that says "Most of X race reacts to humans like this..." wouldn't be un-helpful.

Talen said:
"Hey, you're flexible and come from a wide variety of cultures...roll with it."

my point is, that exact sentence could be added to the rule book and there would never be (nor is there now) a reason to make a full fledged national human race packet

Okay I play a human from deadlands she is what is known as a Sadeen Moor I love her for the fact that she has restrictions and great roleplay because of it. I also helped write a large part of the packet for the Sadeen Moor people.
I think that human race packet should be on option for players. I know a few people who have come into this game having not played all of the rpgs and such that most of us have and don't know all the little things about humans in a fantasy a setting. I agree that it is nice to have humans as such a free race and what not, but i also like the idea of helping players who ask for help and might like to have a starting point or inspiration for their characters.

I would think that instead of having race packets, there should be culture packets which can vary from chapter to chapter. A wild elf in HQ is different from the wild elf in NJ or CT. What does a national race packet do for a given race? It gives a general overview of how to play a race, but what if your local race packet conflicts with the national race packet?

Back