Political Thread (Ignore if you hate politics)

Well, I'm no economist, but from what I have read on many blogs and political boards, I am glad it wasn't passed...there are a lot of Democratic lobbyists, bloggers and activists who are really upset with the party for supporting the bailout.

I agree we need something -- just not this version of the bill. We need more oversight, provisions for helping people who have these bad mortgages from being thrown out in the street (even a bad mortgage with some money coming back to the government is better than an empty house that can't be sold in this market).

i'd be more than happy to oversee 700 billion dollars.....though i'm afraid i'm the last one you'd want watching money...i like to shop!

Robb Graves said:
Bail out plan did NOT pass the house.

Dems - 141/94 yeas; Repubs 66/132 nays. 1 repub didn't vote.... final 205-228

Markets are dropping quite a bit.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ticytEUvVhQ[/youtube]

Listen to what RP is saying here. Oversight of government. That is supposed to be handled by Congress, but this is yet another job that they ignore.

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
bad government results from too much government - Thomas Jefferson

I found this quote and sorta liked it :D

Hold on to that quote. It's what America is *supposed* to be all about.

BTW, I LOVE the rich. I love people who work hard (and ethically) to earn their money. My family came over on a boat from Greece with practically nothing. They busted their asses in factories, saved their money, and invested it in restaurants. Some were a success & some failed. When they failed, they got back on their feet and tried again. Fast forward to today and my parents, aunts, uncles, and grandparents did a great job of creating the American dream. They aren't rich in the sense that they are millionaires, but they are certainly rich in other ways.

oh i don't hate rich people...i just dont see why people who already have money should get any more benefits than i do. if someone who tried and failed at business is forced to live with alot less money and learn what its like to be a wee fella in the economy well then so be it...but this bail out aparently has nothing to do with bailing out rich folks...it has to do with bailing out...banks and stuff or something silly like that..aparently we're the only country that can actually get out of debt by going into a bigger debt....btw...who are we borrowing this money from again?

ohhhh okay so its not like we're taking out a loan from Shanghai Savings and Loan or anything,

jeepers really? good heavens...well i hope we make nice nice with them

But Robb! Look at these important earmarks that are hidden in the bill! Surely they are tremendously important and relate to the bail out!

Page 279 — Rum excise tax to Puerto Rico and the Virgin Islands

Page 280 — Mine rescue / mine safety

Page 290 — Motorsports racing track facility

Page 290 — Hurricane Katrina and Gulf opportunity zone

Page 295 — Wool modifications

Page 296 — Permanent authority for undercover operations

Page 297 — Child tax credit

Page 300 — Children and wooden arrows provision

Ok, I know that the Welfare thing was posted on page 1 and kind of tapered out, but I felt I had to say something about it. I am a very private person so know here knows this, but I am on welfare. I have the food stamps, I have the medical insurance the state provides, I have section 8(helps pay rent for a place), I sign up for LIHEAP. Some may think I'm just to lazy to get a good job that pays well and I like being on welfare. I don't, I hate it, but I have a 1 yr old daughter who I must take care of, I also have over $10,000 in debt. I was living in HUD housing(which is a place that is funded by the government) and that place was so dangerous I had not 1 but 2 bullets come into my place(at different times while I was living there for 5 yrs). I did the best I could, I went to school, got my degree, but things in my life changed and not always things work out how you think they would. I am right now trying to get a good paying job, but I also have to think about things like if I do work full time, I lose food stamps, I lose section 8, I might not get LIHEAP, I might lose my health insurance(so no pedatrican appointments for my daughter) so I have to find a way to pay my bills, pay for day care, pay for food, pay for a doctor, and the list goes on and on.

My point is this, sometimes things are as clear cut as people think it is and that there are more shades of grey than most people realize or acknowledge.
I realize people will still have their opinions on this and that is fine, I am merely trying to put some light on this topic for those that don't know both sides.

when is the senate voting??? i thought they were voting yesterday

right...plus they can't say "WHAT??! i just took over and there's a brand new HOW MUCH DEBT?" they both are saying they are willing to own it ...for whichever one wins

Back