Political Thread (Ignore if you hate politics)

Fearless Leader said:
I'm very happy of one thing: both Obama and McCain voted for the bill, which means at least they won't be arguing about it as a campaign issue for the next month.

Nope, instead Biden and Palin will be arguing about it tonight. And I bet there is about a 10% chance that EITHER of them will sound like they know what they are talking about (whether or not they actually know what they are talking about is whole different question).

-MS

the funny thing about the VP candidates is that they are so extreme...i mean...there are extreme groups of people in the US that REALLY want one or the other of them in....almost as if the Pres candidates dont matter...hheheheh kinda weird. is their debate tonight?

Tzydl Zhitelava said:
the funny thing about the VP candidates is that they are so extreme...i mean...there are extreme groups of people in the US that REALLY want one or the other of them in....almost as if the Pres candidates dont matter...hheheheh kinda weird. is their debate tonight?

Wouldn't it be great to see VP's returned back to their Constitutional roles this time around? Ya know, breaking Senate ties, and being on standby if the Prez croaks? Somehow I think Cheney has set a very disturbing precedent.

well...Palin is a hunter so maybe we'll get a replay of Cheney...JOKING!!!!! ::looks around to see if men in black suits and ear pieces and shades are coming for her:::

political-pictures-sarah-palin-gun-shoots-journalist.jpg

Of course it is. The journalist limit in Alaska is 3 during spring and summer hunting seasons and 1 during fall and winter hunting seasons.

-MS

I think you should start crying then. Last I saw, it passed and Bush promised to sign it.

My sad day came yesterday when I only cared about one question during the debate. I said, before the debate started, the only question I was interested in was whether the candidates felt that Cheney's view of the VP was right or wrong (ie. whether it should have increased power). When Palin said Cheney was right and the VP should have increased power, I wanted to cry.

-MS

its okay mike maybe mccain/palin won't win...don't cry yet...

that doesn't matter. the damage was done when cheny expanded the role. nothing in government ever gets given back or shrunk once it is created/taken. ever see a budget less than the previous years? ever see someone with power say, "you know, i shouldn't have this, please take it away from me"

Biden will use every ounce of influence he has if he gets into office to push whatever adgenda he has at the moment.

but in all honesty...isnt' that every politician's job? he/she gets elected because people say "i'm gonna vote for this person because i agree with what he/she wants done in the country and i believe he/she can get it done" so no matter who they are i'd rather see people pushing the boundaries of what they're supposed to do and maybe have a revolution instead of just sitting there getting a paycheck but then i don't know much about politics. I still haven't seen the president's true power much less the vice president's...i mean thats out in the public for us to see...there's always power that is abused that we can't see but i can't make a comment on that because well...i can't see it...

i missed the debate too dernit...was watching total drama island...fell asleep :(

i don't think so. I constantly look for those to elect who actually will hand that power back. lessen the role of government and taxation as much as possible.

I wasn't really referring to abuses of power, though they exist (re: signing statements). More that, like Gee and Mike pointed out, The Vice President's role is clearly defined in the Constitution. And yeah, some argue that some of what the bush administration has done as far as expanding the pwoeres of the executive branch is unconstitutional, and they can say that all they want, but if that's the case, they need to bring it up in court (and some people are).

It's more about the definition of character you can get from someone... if you find a wallet with money in it, do you try to find the owner and give it back? Or do you not only keep it but go around blabbing about how much money was in it and how it was your right to keep it, etc. etc. We have no candidates who will give the wallet... our wallet... back. at least not with the money still in it anyway.

Gee-Perwin said:
Tzydl Zhitelava said:

Wouldn't it be great to see VP's returned back to their Constitutional roles this time around? Ya know, breaking Senate ties, and being on standby if the Prez croaks? Somehow I think Cheney has set a very disturbing precedent.

At the debate, Palin said she wanted to increase it even more!

mikestrauss said:
I think you should start crying then. Last I saw, it passed and Bush promised to sign it.

My sad day came yesterday when I only cared about one question during the debate. I said, before the debate started, the only question I was interested in was whether the candidates felt that Cheney's view of the VP was right or wrong (ie. whether it should have increased power). When Palin said Cheney was right and the VP should have increased power, I wanted to cry.

-MS

Last thing I want to see is miss "golly gee " Palin with more power. Makes me want to shudder. I already do that thinking what it would be like with her there. she has no foreign experience.. and what experience she does have makes me shake my head. I would rather see the cast from leave it to beaver in power then her.

constitutionally, foreign policy experience means nothing as far as the office of Vice President goes. I would be much happier if we had a VP who just stayed in US, hung out in the senate, and waited to be called upon in a time of need.

Robb Graves said:
constitutionally, foreign policy experience means nothing as far as the office of Vice President goes. I would be much happier if we had a VP who just stayed in US, hung out in the senate, and waited to be called upon in a time of need.

It become a bit more important when the President is 73 years old and has been fighting cancer.

Robb Graves said:

Robb, we need to go out for a few drinks one night and chat. We sound like we have a lot in common politically.

Back