render and steeling/lost items

got a Question and have gotten a few different answers so...

if you make an item magical say Render a chainmail shirt and it gets stolen or taken or whatever removed from you
do you have to give the item over or just the tags?

I was recently told that an item so expensive as a chainmail shirt you would only have to give them the tags for it
and I was told that it doesn't matter you must surrender the item

what's the call?

dose the type of item anad expense of it matter?
and on an item that is rendered and will only last a certain time dose it make a difference?

I could be wrong, but I would be very surprised if you provided your own expensive phys rep (like a chain mail shirt) if someone was the demand you give it up just because the IG got stolen. I'm pretty sure when they are talking about giving up the item they are referring to small inexpensive jewelry that the chapter has put into the game anyways for MI phys reps. I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure about this one. I believe it would be under the same rules as stealing someone's weapon, take the tag and OOG give them back the phys rep. Or have someone else give it back if you really don't want them to know who got it.

My preference is to hand over the item...just for the duration of that event on the understanding that I get my phys rep back as soon as the event is over.

If I have something stolen, especially something recognizable, then it is MUCH easier for me to identify the rep that someone is carrying as mine, than it is to identify the tag that someone is carrying as mine. :p

On the other hand, if you fail to give me my rep back after that event is over, I can find where you sleep... :twisted:

Oh absolutely I'd say it would make sense to hand it over for the duration of that game. And actually I might even ask someone to do that even if they only stole my regular suit of armor. I'd be like "OOG dude, please take my phys reps because I'll want to try and figure out who took my armor IG". And then **** hits the fan! ;)

RB page 100

under "People and Props"
"After the Ritual, assuming success, the item has a campaign number scribed on it and it then immediately becomes property of the campaign. Therefore players should not use items they wish to keep."

Since it hasn't come up for me concerning taking something of real OOG value from someone (other than minor trinkets or cheap costume jewelry) I'm not sure what I would do if I looted something of extreme value OOG. When I cast rituals for newer players I make sure they realize that the item becomes campaign property and must have the number scribed on it.

While I understand that that is the rule it dose make it rather stupid to Render armor
it makes that arcane armor so much better a choice and cool looking armor less of one :(
in the end you jsut have more people looking for and using arcane armor and less with real nice looking armor

FW

Historically, Armor has gotten a 'pass' on this rule.
This assumes that the armor was personal property. (If the armor went out as loot and had a physrep, then it belongs to the chapter, and must always be turned over.)
Other items (jewelry, clothing, hats, weapons, shields, etc.) become property of the game. When you make a physrep magical, assume that it will be taken from you at some point. Never make OOG personal items magic items.
~Matt, WCV

Yea I would hope armor got a pass on this rule. Because honestly rendering a 30 point (or heck even a 20) suit of armor is like one of the most awesome things a fighter can do in my opinion, and I wouldn't want to suddenly have a multi hundred dollar suit of heavy metal armor become "not mine" just because I wanted to make it a bit better IG. The other thing is that I think the RI armor tag is sort of a special case because a suit of armor is actually several different pieces. Just my thoughts on the matter though.

Most people have seen the scale suit i wear. It cost me 400.00 Its rendered improoved. IF you steal it from me, i'll give you the rep, but when that event ends you better belive I am getting my armour back. I am totaly down for including the atmosphere and possiblity of it being ig stolen, but I did not just make a traveling 400 dollar donation. If there arnt some exceptions for these things, then I think some cool things would be taken away from the game, as the oog expence could never justify the ig reward. Cool costuming or invisible armor. you be the judge.

--bill

Quinn said:
RB page 100

under "People and Props"
"After the Ritual, assuming success, the item has a campaign number scribed on it and it then immediately becomes property of the campaign. Therefore players should not use items they wish to keep."

Since it hasn't come up for me concerning taking something of real OOG value from someone (other than minor trinkets or cheap costume jewelry) I'm not sure what I would do if I looted something of extreme value OOG. When I cast rituals for newer players I make sure they realize that the item becomes campaign property and must have the number scribed on it.

That needs to be amended ASAP. He who steals my armor rep had best be paying me for it, or be prepared for the concequences, because they are far from an insignificant investment. This just makes arcane even more desirable over real armor, for an entirely out of game reason this time.

Not that I expect any campaign wishing to keep players would try to enforce this rule.

i find it ironic how the rule has been in the rule book and writen so as not to have any type of other meaning.....campaign number scribed on it and it then immediately becomes property of the campaign. Therefore players should not use items they wish to keep. . It sounds prety straight foward to me....if you don't want to lose it....don't make it magical or link/lock it.

I will say this...if any of my reps are stolen...keep em...as long as you don't cheat and switch the rep I will spot it.

*Edit: With AA you can still chose to wear your rep so as to still keep it IG and great looking.

Yea but it really seems ******** that I would now "not be the owner" of the 400.00 or however many hundred dollar chainmail or plate mail I have bought and rendered. Just because I got an IG ritual cast on it.

I know the wording of the rulebook, I think what I, and other people are saying here is that it doesn't make sense in the case of exspensive armor. Maybe this needs to be changed in the new rulebook to exclude expensive armor reps specifically.

As it stands if someone tried to insist on walking away OOG with my masively exspensive (or time consuming) armor I would probably walk away with my armor first and leave that game entirely.

I like the look of my armor and want to use it but it would be much easer and cheaper to just get Arcane armor

so rather then risk over $600 worth of Armor that enhances the Feel of the game Ill just join the Arcane armor club
its just too expensive PP wise to replace a 20+ armor set twice an event

FW

Frank-

You would do well to read the other topic you started about this that has been commented on by an ARC member.

Im posting on the owners board now on this.

~Erica
NJ

tieran said:
Frank-

You would do well to read the other topic you started about this that has been commented on by an ARC member.
as per board rules for posting an arc question you cant respond on the ACR board but your free do argue it here
im using that freedom

FW

I think you should not have to give over the rep... but not be allowed to wear that rep anymore that event.. or something..

AllianceNJ said:
Im posting on the owners board now on this.

~Erica
NJ

Thank you for looking into this Erica.

I would have a really hard time accepting that people could walk away with other people's 100's of dollar armor reps just because they are rendered and now "magic items". Infact for the record I've seen that not even apply to weapons. Although those are usually much less costly.

When I go to an event as my fighter I bring and get with PP a couple of sets of Armor (tags)
I know that several times I will have my armor breached (things swinging 12's and 19's) and after a while my 16 armor is 10 or less!
I then go back to my bunk grab the next set 9of tags) and go out
to do this I need to keep my Physical rep its a bit expensive to actualy have a set of armor for each tag.

when you render the armor do you have to have the number etched into it?

how do they handle rendered wepons? don't they have tags taped to them or something?

Back