Sheath for a bow?

Dr_Chill

Fighter
Has anyone designed or used a sheath to carry their bow around with them? I am trying to devise a way to carry my bow, am thinking behind my back, but I am not sure as to the best way to accomplish this. Does anyone have any suggestions/recommendations?

Thanks!

There was a PC named Suel back in the olden days who used tooled leather with 2 snap straps to tie his bow to his back that seemed effective.

Several PCs have died tool belts that they modify into a harness. I would speak to Josh and Joy about that one.

Depending on your owner/safety folks, you could always take a cloth square and set is as a should harness to keep it snug against you. I would highly recommend using a wider cloth and not rope so you dont become entangled in it with potential hazards to your health. Also, if using this method you would need to remove the cloth from the ends of the bow before using it as it may created an unsafe situation.

I carried a bow nestled agains my side by putting the handle in between my body and the handle of a shortsword tucked inside my belt.

Hope that helps.

Depending on how long the bow is, I know several people who have minimum length bows and they have snap straps in the middle of their belts at the back, so it basically rides along your belt and then curves around the hips a little, so basically your grip is in the small of your back, and the arms are hugging your waist if that makes sense. I could see doing something similar with a baldric and two snaps, one at the shoulder and one at the opposite hip, but this would be more for long-term carrying not for grab it off quick and fire it kind of sheathing. Hope it helps, and hope you solve your quandry.

Actually I've got a max length longboow (sweet for blocking) that I've figured out a strap for that is really comfortable and not hard to take on and off. It goes across my back sticking out above my right shoulder and down bellow my left hip, also looks really snazzy, I'll see if I can find any pictures. :)

Here are a couple of pics of the *** end of me, where I keep my (green) bow:
One.
Two.
Basically, it's a near min-length bow. There are two "mini belts" on my belt that wrap around the belt and the bow. It's a (reasonably) quick up and down motion over the buckles to release it, but I've never had it fall out. It does turn diagonal over time though (as you can see in those pics.) I know Bryan (Polare on the boards) keeps his strapped across his chest, and doesn't seem to have problems with it. His is also close to min. length though.
~Matt, WCV

I am going to have a max length longbow, and want to keep it out of the way but not too far out of the way.

Dave if you have pic's of your setup I would love to see it!

-Ryan

Here is a picture of my original system.

05_2007_135.jpg

As you can see that one broke, so I upgraded to this one.

n_a.jpeg

It's a little more costly, as that particular model is not a Artisan, but you get what you pay for I always say.

I just want to say that the NPC that painted most of his body in green is hardcore!

Also, to clarify are you using a sling, not sure how your bow stays "holstered."

Thats cold man. I'll remember that next you are rolling around in that giant silver coffin of yours.

"Sorry Kainen, I couldn't channel any aura. My hands were full with this bow that you can't use."

--Chazz

Here are pictures of the harness I worked up for my max length longbow.

For this design the shape of the bow is also very important, because basically the way it works is that the handle sits in the small of your back and the straps are attached to the bow limbs about 10 inches down. You can adjust the spacing, but the important thing is that this means that the places that the strap attaches are horizontaly on the same plane as the handle that is resting in your back. There is a "top" and bottom with this strap because you need one more strap to prevent the bow from slipping down. This is the little strap that connects closer to the grip. This has to pretty much be sized to the individual wearing the bow so that it allows the bow to sit strait and comfortably on the shoulder. But this extra strap is actually crucial to keep the bow on your shoulder.

If you make it right its a relatively easy slide over the head and doesn't get in the way at all while fighting because hey your only blocking with a bow anyways. It is important however the the strap be a nice wide strap so that it keeps the bow strait do your back. Although the re-curve design of the handle also helps pull the bow strait.

I've been able to build this sort of bow both out of the thicker heavy duty PVC that I heat gunned and a composite core of lighter pvc and kite spar for a wonderfully ultralight version of this bow. I've tested the strap in combat and except for the fact you need to be careful not to catch it on door frames and the like it stays on and comes on/off in a pinch right through the thick of things! :)

My only problem with this design is that I'm not sure if it woud violate the sentence in the book on page 81, "No string is attached,
and thrusting tips must be on both ends."

Clearly you are not using string. And clearly the reason that the straps are there is to hold the weapon on you and not to cause some kind of unsafe circumstance or ruckus in combat.

But the possibility remains that a marshal could fail it and reference that rule as to why it was failed.

But it does look neat :)

Glad you like the look! :)

And your right the "string" clause could be a potential concern. If it was I think you might very easily be able to put soft Velcro in a ring around the bow where the straps need to connect and the hook part of the velcro on a strap such that you would velcro all the way around the shaft of the bow to attach the strap so that it would hold.. This wouldn't be so easy on/off, but if this strap would fail the weapon for safety concerns I think that might do the trick.

However I'm hopeful a strap like this could get safety passed, and like I said its on the side closest to you, away even from the blocking surface. Additionally the strap also clearly doesn't go to the ends so in practice it doesn't get caught up in things because it is fully withing the inner "curve" of the bow, and it does have safety tips... ;)

you could probably also just make it so that the whole strap assembly was attached to your back and you remove the bow from it for use... but it would not be as fast... espescially on the stowing it away side of things...

I generally pass 'straps' on bows when doing safety checks, so long as they're loose enough that I don't think they'll cause the same problems as 'strings.'
~Matt, WCV Marshal

obcidian_bandit said:
I generally pass 'straps' on bows when doing safety checks, so long as they're loose enough that I don't think they'll cause the same problems as 'strings.'
~Matt, WCV Marshal

Cool :) So actually being loose is better for a strap in the hopes of passing a safety check then, at least for you. Good to know.

And I mostly would too... cause the intent of the rule (at least as I understand it) is so that you don't trap weapons/strangle someone...

Back