Spells and Levels

I will agree with unlimited healing being a bad idea.

Earth and Chaos storms are meant to be damage, and damage only, they explicitly state that they do not heal anything. Same with Magic Storm, it's not any specific type of damage (flame, lightning, stone, ice, or any other element or effect) and can only be stopped with a spell shield, reflect, or resist magic (or dodge or phase, but those stop everything).

Another solution to a lack of healing? Get a potionmaker. Then the healing is far more portable.

Could be an easy enough switch if you make storms last only 5 or 10 min. (if it were to work I would favor the 5 min version) would stop the fall back to point a for healing forever. I know I'd sure enough trade in a life spell for 5 mins of healing hell make it half healing or full dmg. That way you can dmg undead for 10 and heal others for 5. Again just suggestion / ideas. However it will turn up in the next time we choose to have a new eddition I would deffinatly like to see more healing options. I know it really hurts being one of the few healer types at game and having to blow almost all my high end healing just to heal our fighters for 1 fight.

I can throw the first 9 packets of an earth storm in 5 seconds. 10 minutes of that is several hundred packets, if people bring them back to you (which I usually see if someone has a good storm going). A 5 minute limit is still more than 50 packets, especially if people come back to you and get touch-cast healing.

Plus, this is totally off topic.

I would get more use out of earth storm healing than would be reasonable. Even at 5 minutes a clip that is a huge amount of healing... Allow me to plant my feet behind a fighter who is fighting a stationary target and it's gonna get real.

Totally off topic, but if you are a healer and are having trouble burning spells quickly there are plenty of people who would be happy to discuss ways to help pace yourself. Shoot I wouldn't mind hearing about those strats myself.

The only thing that makes me leery of COTF is that it can take away some of the cool factor of wizarding. I've been in situations where I specifically got to go on a mod because I had memorized niche spells (Subjugates and Banishes when we knew it was going to be elementals). COTF negates that, and possibly negates you taking a player you don't often talk to IG with you on a module, and that player might be an awesome person who you'd never meet otherwise. I don't think it would unbalance the game to allow COTF or memorizing lower level spells in higher level slots, but it's (I feel) a big change in the flavor of the game. I don't think it'd be a bad flavor, just a different one.

To what Toddo said, COTF moves characters from "I don't memorize that" to "I don't want to cast that for you". In broad strokes, the former is more socially acceptable than the latter.

True facts. This is really a *shrug* issue for me. I am neither for or against it as long as it's fully thought through before being implemented.

What about this to allow COTF and STILL reward memorization.

If you choose the cast on the fly option you use spells as normal, just with COTF.

If you choose memorization you gain the Meditate benefit. Meditate- because you prepared and studied certain spells in advance your more intimate knowledge of these magics allows you to summon them back to your mind if they go unresolved. If a cast spell misses all legal targets then the caster is able to spend 5 minutes roleplaying studying their spellbook. At the end of an uninterpted 5 minute count that caster regains the use of all unresolved (missed spells).

I would be a generalist, because I like to have the tools on hand (and I'm lazy). Someone who chooses to memorize can cast more freely, with less fear of losing spells.

What say you?

Dan Nickname Beshers said:
It seems the simplest solutions would involve a penalty to CotF by penalizing either spell level, spell slots, or both.

sounds like math, math is hard :D

Maybe for every 4 spells you have per level you gain a Bonus Spell for that level that can only be COTF and cost a fair amount of build?

Ex.
4- XX
3- XXX
2 -XXXX
1 -XXXX

Spend 5 Build and you'd get a bonus Spell for 1st level that can be COTF
Spend 6 Build and you'd get a bonus Spell for 2nd level that can be COTF
You get nothing for 3rd and 4th level.

Keeps things relatively simple and still adds a little versatility.

Also for the unlimited healing Earth Storm. Imagine as a fighter I planted for an Earth Storm, behind the front line with Two Weapons. I could almost guarantee no one in weapon range of myself would go down. I'd be like Animal from the Muppets playing drums on PC backs. I'm going to enjoy that mental image.

phedre said:
Another solution to a lack of healing? Get a potionmaker. Then the healing is far more portable.

People can say the same thing for the Celestial caster...solution for lack of dmg, make scrolls.

With money being involved, sure you can do a hell of a lot more.

That is true, and something I hadn't considered. Putting COTF or lower spell/higher slot in place would devalue potion and scroll makers, and there are some who would argue that they are already undervalued.

Toddo said:
That is true, and something I hadn't considered. Putting COTF or lower spell/higher slot in place would devalue potion and scroll makers, and there are some who would argue that they are already undervalued.

The value of potions are that any one can use them/take them and while under a lot of effects. That and you can make them at will as well as carry as many as you want.

Scrolls...well that's different but again you can carry and cast as many as you are willing to make/purchase. No limit = totally worth it.

Toddo said:

The only people who undervalue potionmakers are the people who don't work with one regularly. My teams dedicated scroll/potion maker has completely changed the way my team handles potions and scrolls.

True, but being able to substantially modify how spells are memorized (or aren't) would lessen the need to have a dedicated scroll/poition maker. Not eliminate entirely, only so many spells can fit in your head, but it's a change. I also like situations where PCs are desperately trying to dig out a dispel scroll from the bottom of a pouch to keep a bad guy behind a wall of force from escaping and nobody memorized it. If the cel caster can just say "Well, I was gonna use a Dragon's Breath later but I can just Dispel instead" I think drama is not well served.

Toddo said:
True, but being able to substantially modify how spells are memorized (or aren't) would lessen the need to have a dedicated scroll/poition maker. Not eliminate entirely, only so many spells can fit in your head, but it's a change. I also like situations where PCs are desperately trying to dig out a dispel scroll from the bottom of a pouch to keep a bad guy behind a wall of force from escaping and nobody memorized it. If the cel caster can just say "Well, I was gonna use a Dragon's Breath later but I can just Dispel instead" I think drama is not well served.

Truedat...until they go, "damn I shouldn't have cast that dispel, I wish I had a dragons breath. I think COTF will greatly increase casters, they need it.

Toddo: make the choice harder, then. To dig out that dispel, you have to give up TWO dragon's breaths. Or a Prison.

Also, you could impose a restriction that you must sacrifice a spell slot for a spell you want to be able to free cast, require high magic to be spent, demand the caster have their spell book in hand... lots of options.

Back