starting equipment

rules say you start with one weapon for each skill you have

what if i have weaponmaster, or florentine? can i start with more than one weapon? or do i need to start with one handed edge, small weapon, staff, and florentine, and then 'upgrade' to weapon master later?

1darkrogue said:

what if i have weaponmaster, or florentine? can i start with more than one weapon? or do i need to start with one handed edge, small weapon, staff, and florentine, and then 'upgrade' to weapon master later?

If you start with Weaponmaster you'll get one weapon (of your choice) since that's all the Weaponsmith skill allows. It's wiser to start with the basic weapon you really want at first so you'll have more BP to spend on other things.

If Weapon Master provided one weapon of your choice, I imagine picking up Florentine in addition to another weapon skill (One Handed Edge, for example) would allow a dagger to go with whatever primary weapon you choose. Small Weapon plus Florentine would be two daggers, for instance (One for Small Weapon, one for Florentine), while One Handed Edged plus Florentine would be something like a Longsword and a Dagger.

Besides, it doesn't make sense to have more weapons than you can hold when just starting.

Saephis said:
If Weapon Master provided one weapon of your choice, I imagine picking up Florentine in addition to another weapon skill (One Handed Edge, for example) would allow a dagger to go with whatever primary weapon you choose. Small Weapon plus Florentine would be two daggers, for instance (One for Small Weapon, one for Florentine), while One Handed Edged plus Florentine would be something like a Longsword and a Dagger.

Besides, it doesn't make sense to have more weapons than you can hold when just starting.

A weapon skill plus a weapon "usage" skill (florentine, two weapons or stylemaster) would grant you two weapons. Adding a melee weapon skill to Weapon Master wouldn't be a viable choice since all weapon skills are included in it already.

1darkrogue said:

Usually most people start with a basic weapon skill (one handed edged, one handed blunt, etc.) then they choose skills like florentine, two weapons, and finally the "super skills" like style master which allows to use florentine, two weapons, and shield or weapon master which allows you to choose any weapon.

This is due to BP since most prefer that their character starts out with multiple skills and due to role playing as many enjoy the learning process of building up the character's skill.

Saephis said:
Yet, if I start with Small Weapon and Staff, I get two tags, despite only being able to use one at any given time. Personally, I say if someone wants to start out with weaponmaster and nothing else, and they want to bring in five weapons to start... let 'em. It takes near nothing out of policy (if you want to be a stickler over it) and they get to play and learn without starting out the game with "NO, YOU MAY NOT DO THAT" thrown in their face.

Agreed. 5 normal weapons isn't going to break the economy.
jpariury said:
Saephis said:
Yet, if I start with Small Weapon and Staff, I get two tags, despite only being able to use one at any given time. Personally, I say if someone wants to start out with weaponmaster and nothing else, and they want to bring in five weapons to start... let 'em. It takes near nothing out of policy (if you want to be a stickler over it) and they get to play and learn without starting out the game with "NO, YOU MAY NOT DO THAT" thrown in their face.

The idea of starting equipment, however, is for everyone to get the bare minimum needed for their skills, plus 15 coppers. It's not like you can't buy / borrow / steal more stuff as soon as game begins, or for that matter NPC an event first or contribute and use your goblin stamps if you want more.

If we allow more for certain skills, then I worry about opening the door for everyone saying "Well, why can't I get three more spells in my book too? That doesn't break the system either" and then we're making exceptions and having different rules based on which skills you buy.

The current system is the easiest to understand and manage.

It's not about "breaking the system" or "not accommodating new players". I would think it is about coming into town as a lowbie with fewer weapons than a seasoned adventurer and needed to interact with other players in order to get those extra weapons or whatever it is you want. Why give the PC that stuff for free when they should be able to acquire it IG using methods of borrowing, buying, stealing, winning, etc.?

I thought you started with a suit of armor that you had a rep for, and the weapons you had skills to use and the reps for. And 2 silver 2 copper.

If you were a weapon master, you would have the one weapon you had to use.
If you had stylemaster, shield, or florentine the two weapons or the weapon and shield.

Hey guys, from the rulebook page 9.

In addition to free armor...

"The marshal then gives you a weapon tag for your dagger and 12 coppers, the only measly possessions your character has to start the game with. You don’t feel too bad, because every other character starting the game gets the same thing."

reading the rulebook is great. ;)

the marshall must have gotten all of those from logistics, or works for them. pesky marshall taking all the credit.

lol nice robb ;)

Robb Graves said:
I would think it is about coming into town as a lowbie with fewer weapons than a seasoned adventurer and needed to interact with other players in order to get those extra weapons or whatever it is you want. Why give the PC that stuff for free when they should be able to acquire it IG using methods of borrowing, buying, stealing, winning, etc.?
Seasoned adventurers use only one or two weapons because they know how to best use them. Sometimes new adventurers like to Swiss-Army knife themselves. Often it's how you can identify the new players in a heartbeat. What is freely given at logistics can be interestingly removed through game play (like an introductory mod for new players and characters, rife with a few Disarming Kobolds, a choice Shatter spell, and a nifty Explosive Trap). Why ruin what could be a wonderful learning experience?

I don't see that having a new character come into game with five or six normal weapons as bad in any form. If anything, I see it as allowing new people excited about playing maintain that excitement in a way that neither ruins their chance for interactions nor damages the enjoyment of the more experienced players.

Fearless Leader said:
The idea of starting equipment, however, is for everyone to get the bare minimum needed for their skills, plus 15 coppers.

Did I miss the new starting money in the rulebook? It used to be 12 copper.

EDIT: And the I read David's above quote from the rulebook. LOL

you can HAVE more sure, but you only get one with your starting equipment....

What you're saying is that if I have Thrown Weapon as a skill, I can only have one throwing knife in my starting kit?

Wonder if Bowmen come in with only one arrow - or actually no arrows since an arrow is a seperate production item.

markusdark said:
What you're saying is that if I have Thrown Weapon as a skill, I can only have one throwing knife in my starting kit?
That is what they're saying.
Wonder if Bowmen come in with only one arrow - or actually no arrows since an arrow is a seperate production item.
My guess would be none, since it's a separate weapon. Sorta.

Back