The Gryphon Tournament

I would like to invite anyone that might be interested to a tournament of sorts. Next full market day (not upcoming business day), I would like to have a set of friendly duels set up in tournament style brackets. There will be prizes, awards of honor, for the top competitors. This tournament is not a place to challenge for matters of honor, however all duels will be conducted with honor. There will be an official overseeing each bout.

Gryphon Tournament Rules-

A- While this is an open tournament, it is not wise to use resources that are not readily re-newable; thus:

No spells
No alchemy
No potions

B- Weapons only - and the competitors will be given the same non-magical weapon.
The weapons will be agreed upon before each duel by the competitors, and should match.
If skills prevent the matching of weapons, then same size category weapons should be agreed upon.
If same size weapons cannot be agreed upon because of skill differences, then the competitors will need to agree upon a solution or be re-assigned brackets for different competitors.

C- In the case of attack, the current duel will be suspended until the threat is resolved.
The tournament brackets will be finalized during the first evening with the first round to be started during the first evening.
The tournament will be resolved during the following day (Saturday) with the championship match to be held before nightfall when convenient for most to watch.

To participate, you only need to sign up.
The goal of this tournament is to produce a learning environment as well as an honorable atmosphere of sportsmanship and comradery. The prizes are not magical, nor will they be worth "killing" each other over, but nice all the same.

1- Combat will take place with the presence of a honorable judge. The judge may enlist up to 4 other (willing) junior judges but has final say. The combats are to be honorable and the combatants will announce blows they receive. The judge(s) will resolve any conflict or difference of opinion. For the sake of conflict of interest, a competitor may not be a judge. A competitor has the right to refuse a judge only before the combat begins. The judge must be agreed upon before the combat begins.
2- The combat will be at full strength and vitality, with weapons strikes at up to full capability of the combatants as they choose.
3- At any time a combatant can choose to surrender without loss of honor. This is signaled with the raising of two fingers (the index and middle fingers of the same hand).
4- The first time a weapon is dropped, the judge will call a "cease attack" and the combatant is allowed to recover their weapon. The second time in the same duel, or if the combatant has purposefully discarded their weapon, the judge will not call a cease attack and the combat will continue.
5- Any act of dishonor - so deemed by the judge - will be cause for disqualification. Fleeing the combat signifies surrender.
6- The final championship duel will have a judge and 4 junior judges unless not available in which case it will have at least a judge and as many (up to 4) junior judges as possible.
7- Upon completion of each bout, both competitors will shake hands; the judge will congratulate both competitors and signify the winner.
8- The winner will report to the bracket board where the master of the tournament will place the winner's name for the progression of the tournament. All people shall be able to observe the progression of the tournament at the bracket board. If the master of the tournament is not available, the judge of the bout will place the name as appropriate.

If you have any questions this is a good place to ask.

To get an idea of the number of competitors, please respond to this posting if you would like to participate. Again it is an open tournament, any HONORABLE competitor is welcome.

~Squire Victor von Gryphon

I wish to participate i shall not waste such a wonderful opportunity to see where i stand with the rest of the town combat wise.

I, too, would like to participate either with any assistance you'd require or attempting my hand in the tournament itself.

Keallit

I most likely won't be able to attend the next full market day, unfortunately, or I would definitely participate. Out of curiosity, are advanced weapon skills (such as disarming a weapon or riposting an opponent's blow) restricted as well?

Briar

I'm in

-Sheriff York Winters

I will be unable to attend this tournament, unless it is moved to the market day after next.

-Squire Thorador Boulderfist

I'd be up for it except for the matching weapons part. I'd be more than happy to judge though, provided I can make it to the market day.

Respectfully,
Deoman Runner.

Me no need award or title, me be best fighter and everyone know it! But if need tournament award for make others know me by reputation before meet me, then me cut down all until only me left standing. Then everyone know me be best!

Next market day be too far away for me know if be there, many thing happen fast and take attention away in these new lands, ask me again when market day be closer.

-Cho Ko Nu

KyleSchmelz said:
Out of curiosity, are advanced weapon skills (such as disarming a weapon or riposting an opponent's blow) restricted as well?

Good question Briar, I see merit in both allowing and restricting these skills.

For the purposes of this first ever Gryphon Tournament we will restrict these special manuvers, as they would be best served in the real upcoming battles and not spent on the tournament field. That said, please remember that constant abilities like your ability to hit harder due to your skill (proficiency, etc) can be used, just not anything that specially targets one creature (critical strike, etc) or other special manuvers in which you would have to rest to regain.

Purhaps in future tournaments we can allow special manuvers, to add more flavor and a different aspect to the strategies.

To those that want to help but not compete: fantastic, we will be needing judges.

~Victor

Squire,

Will this be in 5 weeks, or 10? Regardless I will be unable to attend both of these upcoming market days, however I feel it would clear up any confusion on the date.

-Asher

firstly, I believe in future tournaments like this, in addition to allowing advanced skills, you should consider allowing mismatched fighting styles. secondly, scorch, as one who firstaided you many times, I strongly reccomend you dont challenge cho ko nu, but if you continue, I have a question for cho ko nu. May I buy his pelt? it would make a lovely vest for cold days.

Respectfully,
Deoman Runner.

Cho no nu guy,

Big claim for a guy who run away. If I in town I kick your tail... if it same weapon I hope tribes man know claw style.... last I sees you, you runned from fight like baby.

Much love,

NayatiMai
She who wrestles coyotes

If adventurers wish to use their special 'skills' with a weapon such as Slay, Pary, Riposte, Disarm or the like it does not seem to me in any way dishonorable or wasteful to allow these skills. These skills can in many ways define the stronger or more skilled warriors. There will always be 'threats' to the town, but a fair venue to test skills against each other is not always available. However as this tournament organization is entirely under your direction Squire, perhaps restricting them for the first one of these tournaments is fine also.

I am glad to see a friendly bout such as this being organized Squire Victor! The barony is still considering re-organizing and running another tournament perhaps when the lands are in a bit less contention.

- Sir Durthang

Count me in...it sounds like a good way to see how our fighting skills stack up.

Haha, a tournament sounds like fun. To add some fun, Squire Victor, may I recommend you hold this contest every market day? That way there's always a chance someone new may victory in your tournament! I'd also be honoured if you'll have me as a judge during the tournament, as my skills in fighting lack greatly.

Scorch the bear said:
SCORCH OF THE BATTLE BEAR CLAN CHALLANGE CHO KO NU!!! You be my first stepping stone to GREATNESS!!!!!

CHO KO NU, SON OF MO KO NU, OF KO NU CLAN, ACCEPT YOU CHALLENGE!!! YOU ONLY GREATNESS BE HONOR OF DEFEAT BY ME HAND AND STORY FOR YOU KIN THAT YOU ONCE CROSS BLADES WITH CHO KO NU, MASTER OF WEAPONS!!!

Eldandiril said:
Cho no nu guy,

Big claim for a guy who run away. If I in town I kick your tail... if it same weapon I hope tribes man know claw style.... last I sees you, you runned from fight like baby.

Much love,

NayatiMai
She who wrestles coyotes

NayatiMai,

It be true that in past me no fight on frontline and me run for survival, but there be big change since then. Me love give you show of me new power. Me can use any weapon in Fortannis, but claw be part of body and use like weapon, but no be weapon by self (others no able disarm and use). Me accept you challenge and match any weapon you use or mismatch against you claws. It no matter what you use anyway, me defeat you.

-Cho Ko Nu

Last edited:
Back