The Gryphon Tournament

Here are some questions I have heard a lot lately...

1) Dragon Duel bracket: anything goes one on one duels (OOC: Character build driven)

When we say anything goes...does this include magic items, spells, bladed skills, etc?

2) Wolf Duel bracket: one on one 3 touch duels with same weapons (OOC: Player ability driven - no skill required)

How would 2 competitors who share no weapons in common be matched? (For example Myself and any Dryad warrior? Can competitors choose to face off with their favorite weapon sets if they both agree? For example Sheriff Winters choosing to fight short sword longsword against ashers shield and blunt weapon? If they both agree ahead of time? Or might i find myself whipping icey with a dagger?

3) Grand Melee: all competitors in until one winner remains (OOC: like earlier this year)

Again, spells? Magic items? Arcane armor? Are people allowed to form groups?

4) Archery competition: accuracy vs. a target (OOC: skill required)

In the past, archery competitions have also allowed the use of sling stones and javelins, or other missile weapons. Is this the case again?

5) Farmers throw: tossing vegetables into a bucket at range (OOC: every-man game - no skill required)

I have no questions here and look forward to watching this.

6) Drinking competition: a test of constitution and balance (OOC: RP and balance will help)

After Thorador wins is there a prize for 2nd place?

7) An anonymous gallery of crafted goods and works of art to be enjoyed and voted on by all (OOC: crafted goods submitted and displayed and special chips used to cast votes)

Are we allowed to submit more than 1 thing? I assume since it needs to be unanimous that all performance art is out? Is this the same event as was announced earlier in the week or separate?

Thanks for your patience with all these questions.

Fern

Lady Knight Elle,

A good question. Within a scroll dispatched to many this day lays the answer to some of your questions. I will relay the information here in the next post and follow-up to try and answer any remaining question or questions caused by it. I look forward to seeing you in a few days time on the fields of Roskaria!

~Victor

Greeting my fellow adventurers,

It is with great pleasure that I extend a personal invitation to the first Gryphon Tournament. It is to be held in the fields just outside of the town of New Haven, in the Northern neighbouring kingdom of Roskaria this coming market day. We have been invited to hold the tournament here by Princess Lisonra, Daughter of King Palon!

The tournament grounds have been donated for a time by the grace of the Duran family. Your contact upon arrival should you choose to attend will be Sir Kalthor. It is a great honor to be given this opportunity to represent some of the best and brightest in our continuing defence of the kingdoms against the corrupt and other influences.

Please remember that we will be representing not only Gaden, but specifically Shademarch and our Lady Baroness – so let’s all put our best foot forward when interacting with our hosts and other guests. There will be contests of skill, and a feast of wondrous foods in which to partake.

I have sent ahead some requests for events to the Roskarian hosts, and welcomed them to add in some of their own traditions and flavour to the tournament as well. Due to time restrictions and the plethora of suggestions, some of the events requested might be modified or struck from the venue. This being the case, we will see what our hosts have in mind upon arrival to the tournament grounds. The rules for each event will be available once we reach the tournament and described in detail before each event.

Of note, some competitions require previous thought and preparation. These include a food competition and a design competition. The food competition would have you bring your favourite tasty dish to the feast and enter it into a taste competition if you so choose. The designers’ competition would see you submit your plans for a new invention or device in your skilled profession plus any models and description of what the purpose or function is for the invention. The entries are anonymous and will be read at the feast for all to vote.

This is an exciting time for us, a time to celebrate, and a time to reflect. It is also a time for us to renew our bonds with each other and with our Northern allies. Please join us if you can in this feast and comradery of competition.

Walk with Honor,
Squire Victor von Gryphon

I've never seen Asher fight with anything other than a staff, Fern, maybe you have your Children of Autumn confused.

I'll fight anyone with a blade so long as they have no issue with my use of a mace or hammer. I fight equally well with one weapon, two weapons, or with a shield, so there should be no problems in that regard. I may have to have Thorador make me a small cudgel in case anyone decides to face me with a dagger, though - that's not a fighting style I'm much accustomed to and I doubt anyone else would carry such a weapon for me to borrow.

Briar

To answer some questions from Fern (and others)

1) Dragon Duel - according to a message just recieved from Roskaria, this event will be postponed due to time so that all attention and skills can be focused on the Grande Melee. Perhaps in future tournaments we can try this event.

2) Wolf Duel - this event will entail one on one touch duels. The number of touches will be decided by our Roskarian hosts. Weapons will be agreed upon by competitors before the match begins. So, yes, as long as both opponents agree, using your favorite weapon will work just fine. (Should I challenge Kendra's polearm with a dagger?) :hahaha:
Some believe that equal weapons is better as it is a show of skill, but others believe that taking away a shorter, favorite weapon gives the user a disadvantage. Both schools of thought have merit, so keep this in mind as weapons are chosen and agreed upon. In general, try to be fair without putting yourself at a disadvantage.

3) Grande Melee - Spells, Arcane armor, groups formed and alliances broken, anything goes. The only rules are: all competitors begin at the same time, and combat continues until one competitor remains.

4) Archery Competition - due to numbers and skill needed, it seems that it would be a much better competition to allow slings and javelins, but again this is at the descretion of our gracious hosts.

5) Farmer's Throw - this will be quite fun to see.

6) Drinking Contest - LOL, yes dwarves might have an advantage. I have requested prizes for first second and third for each event, but we will see how the Roskarians would like to handle this.

7) Crafted goods - this has been modified into the announcement earlier this week - specifically into a crafting skill related contest of a new invention. Bring your plans, any models or proto-types and be sure to enter a description to be read by the MC at the feast in regards to the function or purpose of your design or invention. This is a Roskarian tradition that we are very honored to be able to participate in as it only happens once in a generation.

Other stuff - there has been an announcement made for a food competition so take a look at that and bring your favorite dish.

I know that I would love to see and hear some entertainment by skilled muscians or singers, perhaps dancers, or oratitions recounting our adventures. Perhaps this can be arranged but will need to be coordinated through our hosts. If you feel that you have a skill as such please pigeon message our contact Sir Kalthor ahead of time.

Please let me know if you have more questions or if I missed answering anything.

Walk with Honor

~Victor

The Grand Melee indeed sounds quite....Grand. However, I vonder if zuch a tournement that has the potential to use up spells and such is beneficial? Not that someone such as myself has proficentcy in zuch magicks, but I vonder if vits truly wise. Though I love a good melee, and would ve most honored to MC such an event as I am not one for combat.

I have many stories of adventure, primarily a most recent tale of adventure called the Paragon Brave Story, many songs about struggling times, overcoming your enemies, having the faith vithin eachother to achieve impossible goals and many more. I even have a few jokes assuming some aren't offended. Vill I perform so mannificently in front of everyone again? Who knows, I suppose that vill be something we'll see zhis weekend.

A simple bard,
-Binks

AllianceCHI said:
Here are some questions I have heard a lot lately...

6) Drinking competition: a test of constitution and balance (OOC: RP and balance will help)

After Thorador wins is there a prize for 2nd place?

Fern

Fern, I believe you mean to say after Thorador wins 1st and Thorgrim wins second. :thumbsup: Regardless of that fact, I look forward to either fighting or drinking with you all!

-Thorgrim Stoneaxe, of the Runebinder Clan

Keep zhe confidence up master dwarves, If zhere is vone thing I'm good at...vell lets face it zheir is avot of zhings...but vone thing I'm good at is drinking dwarves under zhe table. Master Thorador, Thorgrim, Iganeous....you vetter start practicing.

A simple boaster...vell a simple lot of zhings,
-Binks

Thats a nice set up Von. I think I will partake in them all, except archery. Time to take my old sword off the wall. But I'm just a humble merchant.

Leon Ironwill

I would also love to participate in as many as I have the skills for. Fighting and drinking and crafting. Sounds like Winter Fest back home.

I look forward to it.

May the rolling thunder be your protection,

Sera Eldandiril Zanabanath
Knight of Wayside
Champion of Balance
Brotherhood of LifeStorm, Sister

Lady Elle,

Zit has been years since we've seen eachother I feel. Know that I look forward most of all to competing against you in that contest.

However, zhis vill be the one time, I shall not leave the last glass left for you!

A simple barista,
-Binks

Cousin Binks,

Then let us finish the last glass together!

Sera Eldandiril Zanabanath

Sorry everyone the axle on my wagon broke. So me and my partner will not be attending. But on next market day we'll be
there with plenty to sell. All so on that day the first 10 people get a special discount and first look at our new stock for the
next time.

A humble merchant Leon Ironwill

Back