The Gryphon Tournament

Scorch the bear said:
Scorch will crush you and you will feel my might!!!!!!!! :twisted:

-scorch

um, can you please make sure you come pay for your polearm I'm making before you fight Cho'ko'nu....?

-Jehyu

Cho Ko Nu, 2 things
1 your message was delivered, they know
2 id be very interested in a bearkin fur vest after your duel, I imagine it'd be quite warm

Respectfully,
Deoman Runner.

I would be more than willing to participate in such a tournament, what I would like to know is if the use of a shield is permitted?
-Thorgrim Stoneaxe

ThorgrimStoneaxe said:
I would be more than willing to participate in such a tournament, what I would like to know is if the use of a shield is permitted?
-Thorgrim Stoneaxe

Yes, any weapon and/or shield that is agreed upon between the two competitors is permitted (as long as it is LARP legal). This particular tournament calls for as much equalization between competitors as possible to showcase a warrior's martial skill and ability rather than magical weapons. So if you and your competitor do not share the same weapon or style, then a compromise may be found for equal footing.

For example:
Competitor A has one handed edged, two-weapon style, and thrown
Competitor B has shield and one handed blunt
The closest compromise for these two competitors might be single weapons of equal length - one handed edge vs. one handed blunt if agreed upon by both competitors.

It will be interesting to see how the skills stack up when the board is created.

In some cases you will have weapon and style masters that will be able to use any weapons or style which should help to make for easy matching.

Asher - you make a great point, and looking ahead to find the exact date is not as easy as I would have hoped. Indeed the tournament may have to wait until the harvest month of October, wherein it would be at a special location indeed! I hope to recieve word from the Baroness/representative for the proper permission but know that no mater where or when the tournament takes place, it will be an excellent opportunity for all.

Icey - I like your enthusiasm about having a tournament every market day. Perhaps not an official one every market day, but practising for such a tournament and getting to know your possible competitors will definitly help any potential competitor not only in the tournament but also in their overall development of martial prowess. I highly support this idea, and will look to match with any who would like - time being favorable of course.

If you're looking for the best time to hold the Tournament, I hear that near the end of the year, I believe sometimes snow covers the ground, the adventurers often gather for a feast. That would be a really good time to hold the tournament.

I'd like to help if you could use me, but um, I'd really rather not be a judge because I don't wanna make anyone upset if I judge things wrong. Maybe you need someone to yell a lot, like 'Hey look it's this guy, and he's gonna fight that other guy and win maybe!' kinda thing...

...or I could make snacks or something I guess....

or just come watch....

...nevermind

-Jehyu

Hey Jehyu,

A herald announcing the competitors in the upcomming bout is an excellent idea and a welcomed addition. Good thinking Jehyu, you're just the....man err rabbit err.. one for the task! I'm sure the master of cerimonies would appreciate the save on his/her voice.
Snacks? Are we talking about those carrot pastries cause those are good, or are we talking about the dirt and turnup surprise again...

~Victor

Um, I've never brought snacks yet, dunno why people are so obsessed with my carrots, I mean sure they are a great snack but there are lots of other good food. I'm a big fan of meat like bacon and beef my self. I have no idea who'd feed you dirt and turnips, but I make a mean bread and meat and cheese and bread sammich, it's a secret recipe.

-Jehyu

Sounds wonderful. There was a passing mention about robin eggs too? Anyway, the most important thing is the herald job. It is an important task, and would make a lot of people happy - it would mean a great deal if you would accept the possition Jehyu.

~Victor

Okay! I think I can find some robin nests and make some eggs before then too. Oh, how about a fancy thing I've seen before, one of those 'this good looking carved thing means I'm the best' statues, are we going to have one of those, do you need one?

-Jehyu

Jehyu,

Yes, we will have a trophy (or trophies) of some sort. Contact me privately so we can work out the details if you would like to construct it/them.

~Victor

Victor, do you still intend to hold this tournament?

Briar

If I might make a suggestion, Holding a tournament in the traditional style where everyone waits there turn and it is held at a specific time and location is not the best course of action in our hectic region. But perhaps instead a signup can be held where random tournament brackets are generated from and then these duels can take place throughout the gathering as long as A)both participants agree and are in a similar state of well being (ie. well rested or damned tired). and B) at least a certain number (either one or two) of predetermined and agreed upon judges are there to witness the outcome. As it is our way to be constantly on the move and getting interrupted this allows for a tournament of sorts to take place while having minimal inconvenience for everyone involved. A tournament bracket can be posted for those who care to track the outcomes.

Just a suggestion,

York Winters

As always Lord Winters points out an excellent point.
Much of the tournament will need to be "played by ear" as adventure will no doubt interupt the best laid plans.
We shall see what can be done with the people who wish to participate, and hold several rounds during the time when it seems that the most people are available.

To start with, if you wish to participate - please come to the Tea Tent and register if you are interested. Registering does not obligate you in any way but will give us an idea of whether or not you might like to participate. Come and take a look at the prize(s) that will be available if you are undecided.

~Victor

Though I appreciate the sentiment Victor, I am no Lord. Remember that names and titles are powerful things.

Hope to see many of you in the lists,

York Winters

Greetings all,

I wanted to touch again on the Gryphon Tournament as the time is rapidly approaching! It is an exciting time for us to celebrate our latest victories with feasting and contests of skill. There will be several events for those strong of heart in which to participate. Subject to change, we are looking at the following events:

1) Dragon Duel bracket: anything goes one on one duels (OOC: Character build driven)
2) Wolf Duel bracket: one on one 3 touch duels with same weapons (OOC: Player ability driven - no skill required)
3) Grand Melee: all competitors in until one winner remains (OOC: like earlier this year)
4) Archery competition: accuracy vs. a target (OOC: skill required)
5) Farmers throw: tossing vegetables into a bucket at range (OOC: every-man game - no skill required)
6) Drinking competition: a test of constitution and balance (OOC: RP and balance will help)
7) An anonymous gallery of crafted goods and works of art to be enjoyed and voted on by all (OOC: crafted goods submitted and displayed and special chips used to cast votes)

Details to come, but these are the basic listing for this year's Gryphon Tournament. I am looking forward to seeing you all there!

Squire Victor von Gryphon

Squire,

Is this tournament going on this gathering? I will be leaving for the mists with in a day and was wondering if I would need to bring anything extra along.

I look forward to seeing everyone again before the winter sets in and traveling is harder.

May the rolling thunder be your protection,

Sera Eldandiril Zanabanath
Knight of Wayside
Champion of Elemental Balance
Brotherhood of LifeStorm, Sister
Bearer of StormBringer

Back